If a change is made...

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
His first choice was WisenHunt not BOB.
BOB didn't interview with us because he was having a good season at Houston, but we reached out to us and he was the #1 guy according to Kelly's reporting at the time. Then it was Wisenhunt and we interviewed him at a hotel and were very, very close to signing him that night but he backed out to go back to the NFL. Collins was the second guy we interviewed and he got the job.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
BOB didn't interview with us because he was having a good season at Houston, but we reached out to us and he was the #1 guy according to Kelly's reporting at the time. Then it was Wisenhunt and we interviewed him at a hotel and were very, very close to signing him that night but he backed out to go back to the NFL. Collins was the second guy we interviewed and he got the job.
I wasn’t on quinlans board at the time so sorry for the confusion. Not surprised since BOB is a tech guy.

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
I have not been a proponent for firing Collins albeit I have been underwhelmed by several aspects of our team. However, I feel like the team is not playing for him and has given up to some extent. With that being said we need to move on. But IMO the next hire is so beyond critical to get right because if not Tech will be an afterthought if it's not already. That being said from names that have been discussed.

Deion - I think it's a flashy hire that immediately brings our name back into some sort of spotlight. But you have to have masterminds for OC/DC. Recruiting should be better but results have to get better quicker than 3 years.

Whisenhunt - is this even an option now. Would it bring discipline to this team. I see this as getting us back to 6 or 7 wins but maybe not more due to recruiting.

G5 coach - I know there is a thread for this idea but if you go this route will it work at Tech with our limitations.

Power 5 OC or DC - is there a name with enough ability and hype that would be willing to come here.

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
Secondarily....

Mullen - I think this would be better than Whisenhunt but I think there is limited upside at GA Tech

Clay Helton - just throwing it out there already in the state had a big win against Nebraska...

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I personally think you need someone who has either extensive HC experience or P5 HC experience. We don't really need the next Kirby Smart, we aren't aiming for titles and CFP right now. We need someone who can come in and claw us back to .500 and put us in a position to beat the G5 teams on our schedule to get those easy wins, and beat the BC, Syracuse, UVAs 90% of the time. We can afford to roll the dice on the next guy once we get to that point.

Realistically I think the guys you have to call will be:
Tier 1: Mullen, Herman
Tier 2: Bill O'Brien, Jeff Monken
Tier 3: Barry Odom (we would have to make sure he got a decent OC)

After that I think you can start reaching out to a Charles Huff or Charles Kelly or other guys who don't necessarily meet the criteria but have strong upsides.

We just have to suck it up that we will probably get boring, safe, mediocre football for about 4 years until we dig ourselves out of this hole and we can set our sights on something bigger and get the next hotshot.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I have not been a proponent for firing Collins albeit I have been underwhelmed by several aspects of our team. However, I feel like the team is not playing for him and has given up to some extent. With that being said we need to move on. But IMO the next hire is so beyond critical to get right because if not Tech will be an afterthought if it's not already. That being said from names that have been discussed.

Deion - I think it's a flashy hire that immediately brings our name back into some sort of spotlight. But you have to have masterminds for OC/DC. Recruiting should be better but results have to get better quicker than 3 years.

Whisenhunt - is this even an option now. Would it bring discipline to this team. I see this as getting us back to 6 or 7 wins but maybe not more due to recruiting.

G5 coach - I know there is a thread for this idea but if you go this route will it work at Tech with our limitations.

Power 5 OC or DC - is there a name with enough ability and hype that would be willing to come here.
This is exactly where I am. I have been a supporter of Collins up to today. I like what Collins has done behind the scenes with recruiting but the coaching on the field has been lacking. I was also big on the coaching hires this off-season and felt we were finally on the right track to fix the on-field issues. I knew with a new coaching staff and strength of schedule that we would still struggle with wins this year.

HOWEVER, there was no fight in the coaches or players today. It just looked like everyone was just going through the motions and that is unacceptable!!! Collins doesn't have the fight to try to get points at the end of the first half when down and has 3 timeouts (I even gave him a pass after Clemson but he did it again). The players don't have the fight to get the extra yards when needed and just seem to be mailing it in. Something has to change!

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
You call and ask if they know any coaches that might be interested. Head hunters do it all the time. Sometimes you get the person you hope is interested.

You hire a search firm who talks to their agent. That way, the coach has plausible deniability.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where to post this.
But as many know im not a fire the coach during season type of guy. But, our season tix are next to a family of a current player. According to his mom, his views are "practices are a joke. Guys don't want to practice. Most have given up on CGC, but not GT."
I didnt see it until later in the game. When we did our usual 3 and out, the offense would huddle near the ball at LOS, but Sims would already be next to the sideline. Complete lack of leadership from a starting qb. But then maybe he reflective of the team at large.
Tonight was unacceptable. Offense is a joke. Defense would be a lot better if they could catch their breath. Special Teams are special and not in a good way. I had zero fun at a game I have been looking forward to for about year. This was our measuring stick. CGC has to go. My small $150 check to the GTAA im mailing Monday will have "For the Geoff Collins Buy-out" written in the memo line.
If Nebraska can do it when they are literally 1 possession away from winning 7 of their last 9 games, we can do it because 183-10.

slugboy

Staff member
This is not the NFL. I haven’t heard anything about a “you can’t contact a coach in mid-season” rule.

If it exists, share it—I’d be happy to learn about it.

They’ll deny it to the press, and they’d be fools to take a job inquiry call on the phone the university gives them, but I’m sure good coaches are getting called by schools during the season. I suspect some are getting contacted tomorrow, though possibly not by us.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
This is not the NFL. I haven’t heard anything about a “you can’t contact a coach in mid-season” rule.

If it exists, share it—I’d be happy to learn about it.

They’ll deny it to the press, and they’d be fools to take a job inquiry call on the phone the university gives them, but I’m sure good coaches are getting called by schools during the season. I suspect some are getting contacted tomorrow, though possibly not by us.

There’s no rule, it’s just not done. It’s done through agents and search firms to gauge interest in a job.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
BOB was Stansbury's first choice last go around. I think he could do ok here which is all we need. Just make us ok. I would still want Mullen or Tom Herman to get the first call before moving on to the BOBs or Monken's or Charles Kelly's of the world.
I think the last 6 or 7 years have numbed our senses a bit to the point we think “just be okay” is a goal. Okay is better than we have been in quite some time but you have forgotten the dissatisfaction we felt infer Coach Gailey. We were “fine” or “okay “ back then.

You can’t energize a fan base or grow it with a mindset or marketing strategy of “We are going to be okay again soon!”