I like this defense better. Why do I like this defense better?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I just like seeing the guys enjoy playing in the system. They are having fun and are fully invested in it. Anybody could be a star on the next play. Once they settle in and fully trust each other, I think the stats will come.
Totally agree. This is it for me. Trying to make a play. Instead of hoping for an offensive mistake, creating one.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Our players are making big plays and giving the offense more opportunities each game with turnovers. That works fine for me, Coach Woody has done a good job IMO, and this was the match CPJ was looking for after his other hires fell short of the mark on the field.

If you look around college football on defense, Michigan and Clemson are playing quite well, and everyone else is no better than any other team. Then you have Bama, who are in another solar system on defense.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but other than USF it sure doesn't feel like we've given up TD's on half-ending/game-ending drives. That's been the biggest difference to me, aside from the other things folks have mentioned.

It was so frustrating to see 1:39 left on the clock in the 2nd quarter and see a team march down in 5 plays and score a TD to end the first half.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but other than USF it sure doesn't feel like we've given up TD's on half-ending/game-ending drives. That's been the biggest difference to me, aside from the other things folks have mentioned.

Clemson did to end the 1st half.
UL drove down to get a FG, 60 yards in about 30 seconds to end the first half.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow

It was so frustrating to see 1:39 left on the clock in the 2nd quarter and see a team march down in 5 plays and score a TD to end the first half.

I was frustrated with the Louisville game because with clock management we let Louisville get an extra possession in the first half and they used it to score a FG.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like the defense better since we are trying something new. More exciting and theoretically more room for improvement. So there is more hope.

Our SOS is going to get harder the next 3 games (and hopefully bowl). Year to date SOS has been .524 and full year SOS is .631. While that isn't a defense stat alone, the last three games are going to be the toughest three game set of our schedule. So we'll see if our D is really getting better. I think (really hope) they are.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
"The defense appears to be getting better. (The last three games is 25.6 PPG defense only)"

Some of this is also influenced by offensive turnovers.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I just feel this defense has the ability to implement a series of exotic blitz packages. Yet, we have to make sure we are covering our asses on an empty zone if we send a zone blitz. Plenty of times we have sent a corner this year and the safety stayed way too deep, or the linebacker read a run instead of following his true assignment to the flats to cut off the short pass.

Just little things that will be lessons learned over the next year. They will grasp this system and I think we see improvement year 2. Plus once he gets guys for his system with flat out speed, it will look really good.

I personally think it can be a 16-19ppg defense.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to figure out why I like this defense better. By the data I should not...

2018 v 2017
5.8 YPP versus 5.6 YPP
31.8PPG versus 28.2 PPG (all points)
28.1 PPG defense only versus 26.2PPG defense only
58% TOP for 56% TOP
6 versus 4 third down conversion per game
66 versus 66 Opp plays per game

Am I just biased because I wanted a change?

First, it makes since when I watch it.

The turnovers are a big change especially considering a wholly new backfield. Doubling last years turnovers by game 10? Turnovers means field better position and yield better scoring chances as well. Turnovers are fun!

The DL pressure has been real this real. This makes it more exiting to watch.

The defense appears to be getting better. (The last three games is 25.6 PPG defense only)

Perhaps it's the potential of the defense, but I do like it better. Hopefully the data will follow my heart as the guys get to know the system.

As a fan/alum who did not believe our D woes were due to our DC, I really do not like this D any better. But, I don't like it any worse either. It is what it is. I will never believe a DC can do magic with lesser talent. He can coach them fundamentals, teach them how to line up, teach them to look for another team's tendencies, etc., but he cannot, and I repeat, cannot make the front 7 bigger or faster, and that has been and remains our main issue on D. With that said, ASA has really performed at a high level this year, and I have been impressed.

Last edited:

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
"The defense appears to be getting better. (The last three games is 25.6 PPG defense only)"

Some of this is also influenced by offensive turnovers.

This is my feel on it. This D has been put in worse positions and fared similarly [by the numbers]. Last year, the D was in good position time after time to just make one stop and win the game. And couldn't pull it off, gave up sustained long game killing drives... Miami, UT, UVA. This D doesn't seem to be giving up killer drives. It's different not stopping a team from their own 20; versus from your 25, because they got a TO.

Also, they seem to be getting much more* pressure on the QB which isn't easily quantified (*all relative 10x miniscule is still small). But I do think the increase in turnovers is a function of scheme, not a fluke. If we had ball hawks like D. J. White, the Austins or AJ back there this year, we'd be pulling in interceptions like nobody's business. Simmons alone could have had like 3 vs UNC if he had more of a nose for the ball. Our young guys will get better.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'll let you know how the defense is after the Miami game to see how we do stopping the screen pass and a pass to the tight end. I still see the CB's 7 years off the LOS. Looking as the stats we are not better if you look at yards per play. Teams are converting 48% on 3rd downs which is not as good ( but last year most teams didn't need 3 plays to get a first down) . I don't worry because this is only Woody's first year. More turnovers help but we still need to do better at stopping teams without turnovers.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This is my feel on it. This D has been put in worse positions and fared similarly [by the numbers]. Last year, the D was in good position time after time to just make one stop and win the game. And couldn't pull it off, gave up sustained long game killing drives... Miami, UT, UVA. This D doesn't seem to be giving up killer drives. It's different not stopping a team from their own 20; versus from your 25, because they got a TO.

Also, they seem to be getting much more* pressure on the QB which isn't easily quantified (*all relative 10x miniscule is still small). But I do think the increase in turnovers is a function of scheme, not a fluke. If we had ball hawks like D. J. White, the Austins or AJ back there this year, we'd be pulling in interceptions like nobody's business. Simmons alone could have had like 3 vs UNC if he had more of a nose for the ball. Our young guys will get better.

Dude if we had DJ and Milton from ‘14 on this team we would be killing it on D this year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Look at the number of opponents' drives just before halftime or end of game that resulted in scores last year vs this year. HUGE difference......

Then look at all drives. Not a huge difference. I get it last year what was important was 2 min defense and turnovers year before that it was third down defense. I wonder what caused that change in shift in what was important?

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
You can actually see the potential and growth of the d overall. Also, I’ve noticed T. Swilling is getting more confident and playing a lot better. He’s gonna be a good one.