I like this defense better. Why do I like this defense better?

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that the O scoring > than the average defense score helps the defensive optics. If the O was scoring 27 points per game... we would all be crying.

I also think the defensive turnovers helps the offense score allowing the offensive score to help the defensive optics. That was fun to write... was it fun to read?

Around and around the causality goes, where it stops nobody knows... Turnover Margin: 2017: -0.45/g -> 2018: +0.56/g

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I want to add some more stats to the discussion. We are certainly putting the defense in bad situations on average, but that is not the whole story.

Our opponent average field position is ranked 85th. (68 total yards)
The defense, though, is not doing a good job of stopping teams.
We are ranked 70th in opponent percentage of available yards. (43%)

Interestingly, Miami is even worse than us at opponent starting field position (rank 110 and 66.5 total yards), yet they are restricting teams to only 29% of total yards per drive.

So even if the offense is putting the defense in a bad spot, that doesn't mean we need to be giving up the drives we have been.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I want to add some more stats to the discussion. We are certainly putting the defense in bad situations on average, but that is not the whole story.

Our opponent average field position is ranked 85th. (68 total yards)
The defense, though, is not doing a good job of stopping teams.
We are ranked 70th in opponent percentage of available yards. (43%)

Interestingly, Miami is even worse than us at opponent starting field position (rank 110 and 66.5 total yards), yet they are restricting teams to only 29% of total yards per drive.

So even if the offense is putting the defense in a bad spot, that doesn't mean we need to be giving up the drives we have been.

Check out the last year Don Brown was DC at BC. They had a horrible O but still a top notch D.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Last year our 3rd and short D was a lot better then prior years. We weren’t being driven back in short yardage. That’s true this year as well...probably a little better again.

3rd and passing downs is still a harrowing affair.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to figure out why I like this defense better. By the data I should not...

2018 v 2017
5.8 YPP versus 5.6 YPP
31.8PPG versus 28.2 PPG (all points)
28.1 PPG defense only versus 26.2PPG defense only
58% TOP for 56% TOP
6 versus 4 third down conversion per game
66 versus 66 Opp plays per game

Am I just biased because I wanted a change?

First, it makes since when I watch it.

The turnovers are a big change especially considering a wholly new backfield. Doubling last years turnovers by game 10? Turnovers means field better position and yield better scoring chances as well. Turnovers are fun!

The DL pressure has been real this real. This makes it more exiting to watch.

The defense appears to be getting better. (The last three games is 25.6 PPG defense only)

Perhaps it's the potential of the defense, but I do like it better. Hopefully the data will follow my heart as the guys get to know the system.

The floor of this defense is the ceiling of Roof's defense. Put another way, Coach Roof had taken us as far as he was going to go considering he had a veteran secondary last year. Coach Woody's defense is like that old Frank Sinatra song: "The Best is Yet to Come"

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Word up in on tobacco road is that Fedora's buyout is way more than tar heels willing to pay. He could take a negotiated buyout but most think he won't. So Woody wouldn't be likely to leave for DC there. Also depends on whether Woody is taking to Atlanta life. He sure isn't used to that traffic.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The floor of this defense is the ceiling of Roof's defense. Put another way, Coach Roof had taken us as far as he was going to go considering he had a veteran secondary last year. Coach Woody's defense is like that old Frank Sinatra song: "The Best is Yet to Come, if we get better up front including LBs"

FIFY - :)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Word up in on tobacco road is that Fedora's buyout is way more than tar heels willing to pay. He could take a negotiated buyout but most think he won't. So Woody wouldn't be likely to leave for DC there. Also depends on whether Woody is taking to Atlanta life. He sure isn't used to that traffic.
You don't get used to Atlanta traffic you just put up with it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I have a question about negotiated buyouts. Why would a coach negotiate? The buyout is there in black and white, I take it, so why not simply demand that it be honored in full? I suppose there is a logical answer to that question, but I'm just asking.

slugboy

Staff member
I have a question about negotiated buyouts. Why would a coach negotiate? The buyout is there in black and white, I take it, so why not simply demand that it be honored in full? I suppose there is a logical answer to that question, but I'm just asking.
1. Employer thinks they have cause; employee disagrees. Some terms are in dispute. You negotiate which part of the difference you get.
2. You'd like the payments spread out for tax reasons (pretty minor negotiation)
3. You'd like other terms dropped. Like, you'll take 60% of the buyout, but if you take another coaching job you don't have to offset any of your buyout. Or, you'll take 80%, but you don't have to look for a job to offset the buyout.
4. They have awesome lawyers who can tie up the buyout longer than you expect to live.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Because you were able to get your employer to give you a ridiculous lifetime contract and then when you are let go, you are able to get your employer/former employer to negotiate a way to pay you more money but spread the payments out over a longer period of time. A timeframe that seems like a forever.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of Atlanta traffic, do you know if GDOT is done with paving between Cherokee county and BDS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't but because of temperatures they should not be able to pave. Can't top below 45 degrees. Now that don't mean the can't do other work. When I get home I 'll check the DOT website

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

True dat! The pursuit, generally futile, of quality defensive linemen has been the Holy Grail of Georgia Tech football coaches for as long as I can remember. We have tried to grow high school linebackers into linemen with little success and have been snake bit on the few bona fide four star defensive linemen we have been able to recruit. As for linebackers, there is absolutely no excuse as players for these positions are plentiful. If I had to hazard a completely off the top of my head guess based on nothing more than speculation, I would surmise that recruiting linebackers, running backs, and safeties to be the easiest positions to find good players. The hardest, for Tech anyway, would be defensive linemen, top of the shelf cornerbacks, and offensive tackles. Others with more knowledge may differ. It should be noted, that for other schools running a pass oriented spread, finding really good quarterbacks would be much harder for them than for us recruiting athletic option quarterbacks. But again, could be wrong. I would love to be a fly on the wall at a recruiting confab of Tech coaches and hear their thoughts on the relative difficulties of recruiting certain positions. It would be interesting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

You seem to be saying that they are stuck with Coach Fedora? Could be worse, could be a whole lot worse with what is out there. Would Coach Satterfield, as accomplished a professional as he appears to be, actually be an upgrade? Especially if what you say is true that there is a huge buyout with parting ways with Fedora. UNC might be better off keeping him and working within to make the program better. I know, I know, ADs want to make a splash by hiring a big name that will invoke oohs and ahs from the peanut gallery but its like Warren Buffett once said: "The best investment is sometimes the one you don't make."

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
You seem to be saying that they are stuck with Coach Fedora? Could be worse, could be a whole lot worse with what is out there. Would Coach Satterfield, as accomplished a professional as he appears to be, actually be an upgrade? Especially if what you say is true that there is a huge buyout with parting ways with Fedora. UNC might be better off keeping him and working within to make the program better. I know, I know, ADs want to make a splash by hiring a big name that will invoke oohs and ahs from the peanut gallery but its like Warren Buffett once said: "The best investment is sometimes the one you don't make."
UNC if that's true are happy go through a 2-10 record in 2019 before finally firing Larry Fedora