I like this defense better. Why do I like this defense better?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am trying to figure out why I like this defense better. By the data I should not...

2018 v 2017
5.8 YPP versus 5.6 YPP
31.8PPG versus 28.2 PPG (all points)
28.1 PPG defense only versus 26.2PPG defense only
58% TOP for 56% TOP
6 versus 4 third down conversion per game
66 versus 66 Opp plays per game

Am I just biased because I wanted a change?

First, it makes since when I watch it.

The turnovers are a big change especially considering a wholly new backfield. Doubling last years turnovers by game 10? Turnovers means field better position and yield better scoring chances as well. Turnovers are fun!

The DL pressure has been real this real. This makes it more exiting to watch.

The defense appears to be getting better. (The last three games is 25.6 PPG defense only)

Perhaps it's the potential of the defense, but I do like it better. Hopefully the data will follow my heart as the guys get to know the system.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve had similar thoughts about the defense. I like the aggressive play in the front 7. We’re getting more TFL than 2017, but we’re slightly behind our 2016 number. Some of the pass coverage has been hard to watch, but overall I think the defense shows potential for us in the future. For the first year in the system, it’s been pretty good. The real key is continuing to recruit like we did this past year.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I think a lot of it is effort level which is something that stats don't show. There we're a lot of times in 2017 especially at the end where it looked like the defense was just out there "collecting a check". This year a lot of the mistakes are youth and effort mistakes that will eventually be correct. Also in 2017 it seemed like the defense gave up at the end of the year and this year they seem to be getting better every week.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Last year it felt like we were getting beat because the scheme was broken. This year it seems like we are getting beat because of miscommunications or not getting lined up. Getting beat by scheme is depressing, having a misassignment when installing a new defense seems less so. I don’t think I’d argue we are better this year, but I do think there is more to be positive about.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Simply more exciting. Less slow dread where it just seems inevitable that the other team will score, therefore it is easier to be hopeful. I still remember back against unc when we ran the end reverse with Smelter for a touchdown and all I could think was “we left them too much time”. Unfortunately I was right.
The players seem to like it better as well which is important to me. I hope it aids in recruiting going forward.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I think think if you look at the average of the statistics over the whole year, you'll find they compare similarly to previous years.

However, I would hypothesize that the standard deviation of this year's statistics is much larger. In other words, I think our defense has been a lot more hot-cold this year whereas in previous years we were consistently mediocre. I would expect a new coach/scheme to have a hot/cold dynamic as players learn new things and more packages are installed.

Also keep in mind that Nate Woody's first year at App State saw some poor numbers on defense, and the next year was great.

I love the new defense, and the DLine has been a revelation. Really liking the work coach Riase is doing.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have given up a ton of yards due to missed tackles by taking bad angles, failing to turn players back into pursuit, or use the sideline. How many plays did multiple tacklers over-run only to watch them streak past for huge YACs? That stuff isn't scheme related, as much as experience related. It accounts for a large percent of our struggles.

Deleted member 2897

Our PPG when it matters is better this year. If I had to pin any game on the defense alone, I couldn’t do it. I’d make them share the loss with special teams for USF. Duke and Pitt are on the O.

We gave up tons of points to UNC, VT, and Louisville - but those were all either due to offensive turnovers or playing 3rd and 4th string on D because we were up by so much. We have had many many more blowouts this year than last.

We had double digits against every team but Clemson and Georgia last year. How many times could the defense not hold a lead? This year how many times has the D not held a lead? USF? North Carolina? Well what do you do when the offense turns the ball over a bunch.

To me the smell test is better this year. I could identify several times the D let us down last year, but it’s much more scarce this year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have a question, which coach or coaches talk to the defensive when they come off the field ? and which defensive coach is upstairs tells them what is going on the field ?

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Because it is higher variance. We are forcing turnovers at double the rate. We are defensing passes at twice the rate. We are hurrying the quarterback more. We are forcing slightly more sacks.

When our opponents get into the red zone this year they are more likely to score a touchdown than last year, but less likely to score points (3ppg fewer in the red zone, 18% no points vs. 2.5% no points).

This year we are allowing our opponents to convert third downs at a much higher rate than last year.

You like this defense more because you can see a logic of the system and you can see concrete things that can be improved that aren't "stop calling Base Quarters and hoping something happens" . If those things are improved, there will be a huge effect on those game stats that you care about. You can also see that the defense has been put it some rough spots as a result of turnovers. As a team our turnover margin has drastically improved even though the offense is turning the ball over more, so you think "are some of those points off of turnovers really their fault?"

A higher variance means that the defense is able to cause the team to win a tied game, like making two interceptions in the fourth quarter, instead of you knowing that it's entirely up to the offense to outplay the opponent to win the game.