I know what my problem is now after thinking about it

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm old , which I can't do anything about it , and will only get older but the alternative would not be good. I drink too much but I'm fine with that problem so we'll forget about that problem. I really liked CPJ , I guess because he was like me ( other than he made more money) he told you what he thought and if you didn't like it to bad. But I knew it was time for a change. I really liked the hire of CGC . But here is the problem and it's my problem not his or Tech's. He has visions on how to make us better. Which is where my problem is at being old and not liking change. He has this vision and trying to sell that Georgia Tech is Atlanta's team. Being old fashion I'm not sure I understand. But if it helps great. Then there is what came up yesterday about playing 1 game a year in MBS . Which I am starting to warm up with the idea. He is recruiting the 4 and 5 star players we wanted and I hope this works out and we can start to get a few. ( Any day now would be nice don't want to seem impatient here as next week would be ok) He has done a great job in bring back players from the past and getting them involved again. Then there is the waffle house thing something I didn't understand but seeing how it has help get our name out there to others.
I just need work on not being so old fashion and learn to go with the flow. I'm trying if just takes time. ( still don't like the blue pants) I just wonder if I'm the only one who has this problem. I trust CGC and Tech will do a great job but I am getting older so please don't wait too long.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
go-away.gif

What? I'm not the only one thinking it. :oldman:

:smuggrin:

Joeb21

Jolly Good Fellow
This is so refreshing to hear. Thank you for your honesty. What it all boils down to is nostalgia, and I get that. We all love Bobby Dodd Stadium, but in order for us to be successful against the Clemsons and Georgias we HAVE to be innovative. Weather its running an offense nobody else runs or doing unique things like this. We need SOMETHING to set us apart. Most big universities are in the middle of nowhere. We are not. We are in Atlanta. Why not use that to our advantage?? MBS is arguably the coolest venue in all of sports. Why not play ONE game per year there?? To me, it is a no-brainer, but I am in my early 30's and I know that plays a big part in it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm from Alabama and am also a Bama fan. There are times I think about Bear Bryant, and the recruiting caravan across the state, and the occasional games played in Mobile.

Then, there is the reality of today. Bear is gone. The recruiting caravan is gone. Most players for the Tide come from Texas, not Alabama. The games in Mobile are gone. In fact, the games in Legion Field are gone. The reality is that Alabama, behind the scenes, is state of the art and every much an NFL team in college clothing.

I'm sure Geoff knows this. To be competitive today requires a massive amount of money and media interest. If we want to be relevant (e.g, Top 25), we have to make VERY different choices than we would have to make to be just FBS (e.g., be a University of Buffalo).

I'm fine with it. I'd prefer trad uniforms over the blue crap, but fine. I'll still be in my seats come this fall.

And Tech being ATL's team? Dodd did that as well. I think it's a great ploy and consistent with how Tech recruited and marketed in the past.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I can honestly say, that was the most genuine thing I've read on this forum and the numerous Facebook pages in quite a while. I can appreciate your sentiment and I too, have thought about the change process ad nauseum. Not for myself, but for my Grandfather who is getting older too. He has been a Tech man for 80+ years now and I surely hope that CGC flips this program post haste... I need him to see one more Natty.

Maybe I can also enjoy another 50 years of GT sports.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Nice post. I'm 61,which i don't think is old (also can't believe it's true) and i get the feeling that things are changing too much. But maybe because of what i've been going through in the workplace i'm not as averse as i once was. My take on this is that i wasn't satisfied where we were, although i did like Paul and loved the option (graduated in the Pepper years) but if we won't change why would we expect anything different? Like the changes i've been through at work, some may not work and some may not be the right thing to try, but unless you just want to keep on the same level you have to be willing to try new things.

Deleted member 2897

I think its helpful to think that if its something the players are in favor of or like (color schemes, uniforms, music, social media, etc.) then that should be our default preference. Every generation has their own likes and dislikes. When I was college age, I probably liked the same thing as the players since we were the same age, so we were in sync. The next time you hear some strange-to-you music that you can't quite get the taste for, try to notice what the student sections are doing. They are typically bouncing up and down having a blast. Its typically just a generational thing.

I think its helpful to think that if its something the players are in favor of or like (color schemes, uniforms, music, social media, etc.) then that should be our default preference. Every generation has their own likes and dislikes. When I was college age, I probably liked the same thing as the players since we were the same age, so we were in sync. The next time you hear some strange-to-you music that you can't quite get the taste for, try to notice what the student sections are doing. They are typically bouncing up and down having a blast. Its typically just a generational thing.
Agree with everything you said except the players' liking certain uniforms. But my thoughts on that matter are already well known.....LOL

Animal02

Banned
I agree with certain limits.....If the players decided they wanted red and black unis for example...:eek:
I think certain things....long standing traditions need to be maintained regardless of preference.....I can't imagine the 4th qtr starting without the Bud song........:beercheers:

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I can appreciate the honesty. Us young dudes will be old(er) one day. Age comes for us all.

We can get through the new era together.

Now if only some others would share your honesty and willingness to watch the winds of change...

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm old too (55 yo), but it's not change I have a problem with - it's the rah-rah/hype train/juiced up thing that grows a bit tiresome...

I liked CPJ's approach to the game, the media, life, and so on... Straight-effin shooter... Been around long enough, you come to appreciate people of that sort... Yes, he was a bit of a curmudgeon, but with enough miles on the tires, that's what's usually happens... Thing was, he was almost always right, and he generally backed it up...

I really hope that CGC's enthusiasm and energy translate to bringing in better talent and fielding a more competitive team... Clearly, he's an upgrade from the previous staff in that dimension... What remains to be seem is his ability to coach football and compete with some of the best teams in the country...

I do know that I will miss the CPJ option offense - when it was working, it was a thing of beauty... Best I can hope for is that we run more of a Friedgen-style offence with a variety of formations and sets, including just enough TO tho shake things up...

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Just read this from CS Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" a couple weeks ago which is quite apropos to the sentiments expressed here:

(Keep in mind when reading this is a letter from a "senior demon" to a "junior demon" and that "the Enemy" is God. The second paragraph is the most relevant to the topic at hand ... "The horror of the Same Old Thing")
What we want, if men become Christians at all, is to keep them in the state of mind I call ‘Christianity And’. You know—Christianity and the Crisis, Christianity and the New Psychology, Christianity and the New Order, Christianity and Faith Healing, Christianity and Psychical Research, Christianity and Vegetarianism, Christianity and Spelling Reform. If they must be Christians let them at least be Christians with a difference. Substitute for the faith itself some Fashion with a Christian colouring. Work on their horror of the Same Old Thing.

The horror of the Same Old Thing is one of the most valuable passions we have produced in the human heart—an endless source of heresies in religion, folly in counsel, infidelity in marriage, and inconstancy in friendship. The humans live in time, and experience reality successively. To experience much of it, therefore, they must experience many different things; in other words, they must experience change. And since they need change, the Enemy (being a hedonist at heart) has made change pleasurable to them, just as He has made eating pleasurable. But since He does not wish them to make change, any more than eating, an end in itself, He has balanced the love of change in them by a love of permanence. He has contrived to gratify both tastes together in the very world He has made, by that union of change and permanence which we call Rhythm. He gives them the seasons, each season different yet every year the same, so that spring is always felt as a novelty yet always as the recurrence of an immemorial theme. He gives them in His Church a spiritual year; they change from a fast to a feast, but it is the same feast as before.