I know what my problem is now after thinking about it

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
GIFs2019127366.gif

Just read this from CS Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" a couple weeks ago which is quite apropos to the sentiments expressed here:

(Keep in mind when reading this is a letter from a "senior demon" to a "junior demon" and that "the Enemy" is God. The second paragraph is the most relevant to the topic at hand ... "The horror of the Same Old Thing")
I commend you on your choice of reading matter.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I'm from Alabama and am also a Bama fan. There are times I think about Bear Bryant, and the recruiting caravan across the state, and the occasional games played in Mobile.

Then, there is the reality of today. Bear is gone. The recruiting caravan is gone. Most players for the Tide come from Texas, not Alabama. The games in Mobile are gone. In fact, the games in Legion Field are gone. The reality is that Alabama, behind the scenes, is state of the art and every much an NFL team in college clothing.

I'm sure Geoff knows this. To be competitive today requires a massive amount of money and media interest. If we want to be relevant (e.g, Top 25), we have to make VERY different choices than we would have to make to be just FBS (e.g., be a University of Buffalo).

I'm fine with it. I'd prefer trad uniforms over the blue crap, but fine. I'll still be in my seats come this fall.

And Tech being ATL's team? Dodd did that as well. I think it's a great ploy and consistent with how Tech recruited and marketed in the past.

You no doubt remember the promises, the pledges, the oaths taken in blood that bama would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER play at Auburn?

Well, look at how that ended up.

I am old (a relative term) because I saw my first GT game in 1961.

But the man in the movie was correct - “get busy living or get busy dying”.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'm old , which I can't do anything about it , and will only get older but the alternative would not be good. I drink too much but I'm fine with that problem so we'll forget about that problem. I really liked CPJ , I guess because he was like me ( other than he made more money) he told you what he thought and if you didn't like it to bad. But I knew it was time for a change. I really liked the hire of CGC . But here is the problem and it's my problem not his or Tech's. He has visions on how to make us better. Which is where my problem is at being old and not liking change. He has this vision and trying to sell that Georgia Tech is Atlanta's team. Being old fashion I'm not sure I understand. But if it helps great. Then there is what came up yesterday about playing 1 game a year in MBS . Which I am starting to warm up with the idea. He is recruiting the 4 and 5 star players we wanted and I hope this works out and we can start to get a few. ( Any day now would be nice don't want to seem impatient here as next week would be ok) He has done a great job in bring back players from the past and getting them involved again. Then there is the waffle house thing something I didn't understand but seeing how it has help get our name out there to others.
I just need work on not being so old fashion and learn to go with the flow. I'm trying if just takes time. ( still don't like the blue pants) I just wonder if I'm the only one who has this problem. I trust CGC and Tech will do a great job but I am getting older so please don't wait too long.

You are just like me. I was "Old School" before old school became cool. I find myself grimacing at some of Coach Collins more outlandish antics but appreciate the hard work of changing the culture and direction of a football program that for so long was mired in mediocrity. That said, I still do not like blue pants, blue helmets, but do like the dark blue jerseys, gold helmets, and white pants of the 1990 national champions but that is as far as I am willing to go. I think that some of us do not appreciate how hard the staff has been working on getting a recruiting "brand" for lack of a better word. These guys have been like the Energizer Bunny one day at Troup County, the next day in Florida, they even went to Germany. It is amazing. Will it move the needle? An argument can be made that going by the Twitter chatter of the recruits it has indeed, the question still remains will there be a significant uptick in recruiting quality over the next year or two? I think there will be as long as there are no disasters (meaning scandals among players or coaches, academic casualties piling up, key recruits being busts, the sort of thing that is normal at Miami or FSU) in the offing which at Tech can be pretty hard to overcome given our small margin for error.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just read this from CS Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" a couple weeks ago which is quite apropos to the sentiments expressed here:

(Keep in mind when reading this is a letter from a "senior demon" to a "junior demon" and that "the Enemy" is God. The second paragraph is the most relevant to the topic at hand ... "The horror of the Same Old Thing")

CS Lewis was a very wise man.

Animal02

Banned
I'm old too (55 yo), but it's not change I have a problem with - it's the rah-rah/hype train/juiced up thing that grows a bit tiresome...

I liked CPJ's approach to the game, the media, life, and so on... Straight-effin shooter... Been around long enough, you come to appreciate people of that sort... Yes, he was a bit of a curmudgeon, but with enough miles on the tires, that's what's usually happens... Thing was, he was almost always right, and he generally backed it up...

I really hope that CGC's enthusiasm and energy translate to bringing in better talent and fielding a more competitive team... Clearly, he's an upgrade from the previous staff in that dimension... What remains to be seem is his ability to coach football and compete with some of the best teams in the country...

I do know that I will miss the CPJ option offense - when it was working, it was a thing of beauty... Best I can hope for is that we run more of a Friedgen-style offence with a variety of formations and sets, including just enough TO tho shake things up...
Yes....agree completely........anybody lived through "New Coke" will get what you are talking about. ;)

You are just like me. I was "Old School" before old school became cool. I find myself grimacing at some of Coach Collins more outlandish antics but appreciate the hard work of changing the culture and direction of a football program that for so long was mired in mediocrity. That said, I still do not like blue pants, blue helmets, but do like the dark blue jerseys, gold helmets, and white pants of the 1990 national champions but that is as far as I am willing to go. I think that some of us do not appreciate how hard the staff has been working on getting a recruiting "brand" for lack of a better word. These guys have been like the Energizer Bunny one day at Troup County, the next day in Florida, they even went to Germany. It is amazing. Will it move the needle? An argument can be made that going by the Twitter chatter of the recruits it has indeed, the question still remains will there be a significant uptick in recruiting quality over the next year or two? I think there will be as long as there are no disasters (meaning scandals among players or coaches, academic casualties piling up, key recruits being busts, the sort of thing that is normal at Miami or FSU) in the offing which at Tech can be pretty hard to overcome given our small margin for error.
I am "old school" too, and we appear to share a lot of the same opinions, although I don't really have any problem (so far) with any of Collins' antics.

Animal02

Banned
Man, that New Coke fiasco was the worst marketing disaster in my lifetime. Coach Collins is too smart to let something like that happen. Besides, he has that finger point thing down pat.
Yes, I certainly hope we don't have the same results......just saying that those that lived through "New Coke" get not buying into hype for hype's sake.

So You all know I am the biggest Tech fan in the world. No need to explain. I will moss CPJ and what he did for Tech. In my long years, with one exception, 1990 he took us to heights we had not been to since Dodd. He recognized that he had to run his offense to keep his defense off the field. But it became apparent that Clemson and UGA has grown to such a talent gap that even the Spread flex could not overcome it. Yes we can win 8-9 games but we had hit a ceiling. Now to the new world. I love what is going on. Making Tech Atlanta's team is not a new concept. It was that way in the Bobby Dodd years. GT football was the Saturday event in Atlanta. Now for reality. If we try to run the same offense as everybody else we better find a way to up the talent level because the advantage we had will be gone. What CGC may be able to do though is improve the defense. If we could find a way to get back to what O'Leary and the Fridge did, some solid defense in 1998 and a mix of offense, TO, Spread, etc, then we may be able to do something.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What CGC may be able to do though is improve the defense. If we could find a way to get back to what O'Leary and the Fridge did, some solid defense in 1998 and a mix of offense, TO, Spread, etc, then we may be able to do something.

If you really think about it, over the years since the '90 team, for the most part -excluding one very brief and unfortunate time frame - we have been excellent on one side of the ball. With CGOL and CPJ, it was the O. With CCG, it was the D. In one side or the other, we have usually had a top unit that was good enough to be a top 10 - 20 type team. If CGC can somehow break that code and get balance on both sides, along with consistent ST's, we should have a program that we have all hoped for. I am excited about the change despite my age although I liked and supported Paul. Like it or not, the game is evolving and changing and I've always agreed that doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is in fact insanity.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Was not “new Coke” actually quite brilliant?

Either way it went, they won.

Now TAB, please NO!!!!

My recollection was the idea was clever in attempting a new taste similar to Pepsi (somewhat flatter and smoother than Coke) but the execution was awful right down to using Bill Cosby and other celebrities. People actually hoarded the old Coke because they disliked the New Coke so much that it became a parody. After a while, Coke threw in the towel much to the glee of rivals at Pepsi.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If you really think about it, over the years since the '90 team, for the most part -excluding one very brief and unfortunate time frame - we have been excellent on one side of the ball. With CGOL and CPJ, it was the O. With CCG, it was the D. In one side or the other, we have usually had a top unit that was good enough to be a top 10 - 20 type team. If CGC can somehow break that code and get balance on both sides, along with consistent ST's, we should have a program that we have all hoped for. I am excited about the change despite my age although I liked and supported Paul. Like it or not, the game is evolving and changing and I've always agreed that doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is in fact insanity.

Seems I recall, we were pretty good on special teams with Chan. His teams mirrored pro teams right down to super conservative play calling on offense and all out blitz every down it seemed on defense. We could not beat Georgia but boy howdy we made life miserable for Auburn, Miami, and a few others.

Animal02

Banned
My recollection was the idea was clever in attempting a new taste similar to Pepsi (somewhat flatter and smoother than Coke) but the execution was awful right down to using Bill Cosby and other celebrities. People actually hoarded the old Coke because they disliked the New Coke so much that it became a parody. After a while, Coke threw in the towel much to the glee of rivals at Pepsi.
Coke and a strong traditional brand. They hyped a change in their formula that made it more like there competition. Yes, people stock up on the original and there was such bad PR that they were forced to bring back the original as Classic Coke. Despite all the hype, New Coke was a dismal failure and they madem it quietly disappear. And yes, Pepsi got lots of mileage out of the fiasco. Despite all the marketing gurus and hype coming from just across the street, it was a disaster for them. Yes they recovered from it and are just fine. My point is simply that those of us old enough to have lived through that understand and can appreciate those of us that don't just accept the hype without results.