I guess we should have known

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm having my coffee today and reflecting on yesterday's debacle.
Can anyone smarter than me explain what Geoff is doing from a strategy standpoint knowing that we are so outmatched?

Collins strategy has nothing to do with 2019 so if you are looking for that you won’t find it. 2019 is about starting a program from scratch. There is no strategy we could incorporate to stop from being out matched so I’m glad he’s taken the approach to run what we are going to run. Did you see all the drops yesterday? We have 1 actual WR on this team thanks to Collins who flipped him. We are so bereft of talent but it’s not anyone’s fault. Johnson did his thing with his scheme and now Collins gets to do his. But it’s going to take at least 3 recruiting cycles to flip from one system to the next.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, it's no wonder our execution sucks when we speed through practice a million miles per hour so much so coaches don't have time to properly teach between reps and drills.
There's also the little matter of making players train for 2 - 3 different positions instead of, you know, the one they are going to actually play. Except for OLs - all of them cross train - this is, imho, an unusual way to build muscle memory and familiarize players with their jobs when they are on the field. But I'm old fashioned; I like to watch teams where players know how they fit and what they are supposed to be doing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There was a comment that Geoff runs through drills in practice really fast and sends the team inside to watch how themselves on film. And instead of quality, we get quantity.

My comment was you can't watch yourself improve ... improvement comes by showing you how to do something, telling why you are doing it, explaining why its important to do it that way and finally, observing and adjusting through feedback.
Now, now. Bringing learning theory into this is unfair, especially when it appears that the staff has so little acquaintance with it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
GOL was brought in during the BL tenure to coach the D. Not sure but it must have been the AD (maybe Rice) to be ready for GOL to take over when the writing was on the wall. GOL ran the D and ran it without interference from BL. Those were some dark days on the flats too.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
GOL was brought in during the BL tenure to coach the D. Not sure but it must have been the AD (maybe Rice) to be ready for GOL to take over when the writing was on the wall. GOL ran the D and ran it without interference from BL. Those were some dark days on the flats too.
I think Kim King had a lot to do with it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
TStan could step in and put pressure on GC making staff changes in the off season. The lack of offense is just too compelling to ignore. The numbers don't lie.

I wrote this during our coaching search, CGC is TStan's first football coaching hire during his AD career. He didn't have to hire one at Oregon State and didn't have to hire one at UCF. TStan has a LOT riding on CGC so it's in his best interest to see CGC succeed. I'm not sure TStan will be long for GT should the CGC hire not work out here...especially given the 7 year contract to a relatively unproven head coach that didn't have massive success at his previous HC stop.

Animal02

Banned
I wrote this during our coaching search, CGC is TStan's first football coaching hire during his AD career. He didn't have to hire one at Oregon State and didn't have to hire one at UCF. TStan has a LOT riding on CGC so it's in his best interest to see CGC succeed. I'm not sure TStan will be long for GT should the CGC hire not work out here...especially given the 7 year contract to a relatively unproven head coach that didn't have massive success at his previous HC stop.
If CGC were to completely fail, and then you toss in the current issue with men's basketball and the poor optic with women's bb, he likely would not survive. On the other hand, CGC gets thing settles and gets about .500 in year three, men's bb makes the tournament in a year and the other issues quietly go away......he comes out smelling like roses.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
I dunno if you can really ask a coach to recruit for the next coach. Not like he could have gotten any prostyle qbs or tight ends. Maybe we could have gotten a couple extra OL, but again, not the type we would need. I dont think there was any avoiding this.
It is pretty common that when someone is retiring that they work to help set up the next guy so the transition is as smooth as possible. CPJ retired - he wasn't fired out of nowhere.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It is pretty common that when someone is retiring that they work to help set up the next guy so the transition is as smooth as possible. CPJ retired - he wasn't fired out of nowhere.

Yes, but you aren't normally doing a huge schematic change in that scenario. Besides, CPJ didnt really decide he was retiring until the end of last year.

And again, what would his sales pitch have been? Come play for unnamed coach who is going to scrap my offense? Its a good theory, but not practical.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
it was going to be a terrible day when one of our guys, who was carrying the US flag as he ran out on to the field on hero's day, trips on Buzz and falls to the ground, dropping the flag to the turf in the process. To compound matters, he got up and ran away, leaving the flag on the ground?!? What the h&!! is that? I couldn't believe my eyes. We are going to be honoring those who have made sacrifices all day, but we start out by tossing the flag to the turf and running away scared? We talk about culture, effort, and building a program the right way.........

Am I making too much of this?
Probably. We can all trip and fall, and have, and will. The "running away" is disconcerting, but not knowing the nature of it -- herd mentality maybe? But a general disrespect for what the flag represents is to me a natural outgrowth of flag wavers, flag wrappers, huge, gonzo American flags used not for patriotic purposes but for advertising, either on a flagpole or as a backdrop and maybe the draft's end and an era now when less than 1% of Americans have ever served in the military. And of course the Anthem which no longer means anything except here comes a sports event. This generation hardly has any idea what the fuss is about, and I think it is overall a great generation. Just different.

Maybe I am making too much of it now. That being said, leaving it is a puzzle to me. Sounds like he was handed the flag and told to take it down there somewhere.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
it was going to be a terrible day when one of our guys, who was carrying the US flag as he ran out on to the field on hero's day, trips on Buzz and falls to the ground, dropping the flag to the turf in the process. To compound matters, he got up and ran away, leaving the flag on the ground?!? What the h&!! is that? I couldn't believe my eyes. We are going to be honoring those who have made sacrifices all day, but we start out by tossing the flag to the turf and running away scared? We talk about culture, effort, and building a program the right way.........

I think you are making too much of it. He probably was so embarrassed, he wanted to get off the field. This is not a Collins or culture thing. They can't coach every single move a teenager makes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Johnny Cash - says she s been down before but will rise.
Mighty proud.
( Plus that goofy bee should yield Right of Way)
20191118_124415.jpg

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Disagree. The majority of the people understand the incredibly difficult position he was in with this hire. He seems to be good at fundraising and as long as that continues he will be in good shape. He inherited a mess on many levels.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. The majority of the people understand the incredibly difficult position he was in with this hire. He seems to be good at fundraising and as long as that continues he will be in good shape. He inherited a mess on many levels.

I don’t think Tech exerts any pressure on an AD to succeed. It’s not a school priority. I’m pretty sure Tech has never fired an AD.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
... I'm not sure TStan will be long for GT should the CGC hire not work out here...especially given the 7 year contract to a relatively unproven head coach that didn't have massive success at his previous HC stop.
In the world of ADs, seven years is a long time. He can make a bunch of money before bailing.