I guess we should have known

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I hope more people actually remember back to the description of practices during spring ball and keep that in mind when judging this staff's ability. Also, keep it in mind to what you're seeing during game day. Our practices are near worthless. They rip through reps, and the teaching doesn't happen on the field. They tape it and review it in the meeting rooms later on. There is such limited on field coaching, in real time, during practice.

But doesn’t that happen to other teams too? You can’t learn golf watching it.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
But doesn’t that happen to other teams too? You can’t learn golf watching it.

Do you get better whacking a bucket of balls by yourself or when the pro adjusts you in real time?

I defer to Choice and Coleman who both are on record in public interviews during that time period giving it the side-eye.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
it was going to be a terrible day when one of our guys, who was carrying the US flag as he ran out on to the field on hero's day, trips on Buzz and falls to the ground, dropping the flag to the turf in the process. To compound matters, he got up and ran away, leaving the flag on the ground?!? What the h&!! is that? I couldn't believe my eyes. We are going to be honoring those who have made sacrifices all day, but we start out by tossing the flag to the turf and running away scared? We talk about culture, effort, and building a program the right way.........

Am I making too much of this?

I thought the same thing initially, but given the circumstances surrounding the cause and effect, the team mates did well picking the flag up. However, our ****ing mascot should be prohibited from partaking in the run out, if he/she can't stay out of the team's way when coming onto the field. Our player was focused on getting to his destination with the flag in hand, but was completely surprised when Buzz undercut him due to carelessness, stupidity, or both which could have resulted in serious injury to both. A **** show all the way around today.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I dont know for sure but I'm pretty confident that proper flag procedure is not part of the gameplan and it isn't taught in school so unless your family teaches it to, chances are you wouldn't know.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I dont know for sure but I'm pretty confident that proper flag procedure is not part of the gameplan and it isn't taught in school so unless your family teaches it to, chances are you wouldn't know.
This isn't something complicated like knowing that you have to raise the flag to full staff before lowering to half or shining a light on it at night, this the emblem of the land you love lying there on the ground at risk for being trod over. You shouldn't have to be taught to pick it up, you should do it because you're an American.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I wasnt born with the knowledge to never let the flag touch the ground, I was taught by my WW2 vet grandfather. Your argument is simply an opinion.

I saw it and I hated that it happened, but it did. But don't get mad at someone just because they possibly didnt know the same things you and I know.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow

It was military appreciation day. But like much of how Collins runs his program - the details, like teaching the flag bearer those rules, aren’t important. What’s important is the big picture and getting a chance for him to talk about and sell how awesome of an idea it was to do.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I wasnt born with the knowledge to never let the flag touch the ground, I was taught by my WW2 vet grandfather. Your argument is simply an opinion.

I saw it and I hated that it happened, but it did. But don't get mad at someone just because they possibly didnt know the same things you and I know.

I'm sorry, but ignorance is not an excuse for me on this issue. You see your grandma fall down on the ground, you help her up. Your friend drops their textbooks on the ground and you probably stop to help pick them up. Heck, most people will stop and pick up trash that they accidentally drop on the ground. But the flag that represents your country and all the freedoms you enjoys gets dropped and you run off and leave it there? And others run by without stopping to pick it up? Flag code or not, that's inexcusable.

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
One thing's for certain, The O-line was completely over matched - everybody knows Bud Foster is a defensive mastermind and he proved it again on Saturday

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Do you get better whacking a bucket of balls by yourself or when the pro adjusts you in real time?

I defer to Choice and Coleman who both are on record in public interviews during that time period giving it the side-eye.

ok so this is an interesting comment. Are you saying repetition doesn’t make you better at your sport? That going up against other players don’t make you better? Or have I missed some posts and jumping in mid stream?

if so, then the old “our defense practicing against a 3O offense and hurt us” commentary is completely out the window.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
ok so this is an interesting comment. Are you saying repetition doesn’t make you better at your sport? That going up against other players don’t make you better? Or have I missed some posts and jumping in mid stream?

if so, then the old “our defense practicing against a 3O offense and hurt us” commentary is completely out the window.

There was a comment that Geoff runs through drills in practice really fast and sends the team inside to watch how themselves on film. And instead of quality, we get quantity.

My comment was you can't watch yourself improve ... improvement comes by showing you how to do something, telling why you are doing it, explaining why its important to do it that way and finally, observing and adjusting through feedback.