I guess it's easier to convert to "option" than to convert to "modern"

Deleted member 2897

At this point, I am convinced they are being stubborn and refuse to call more option spread stuff because they feel it will hurt the “we’re moving away from the option” narrative. They are calling play calls for recruits, not to win games. He’s proven he’s a salesman and designing a temporary offense that fits our talent doesn’t sell what he’s trying to sell.

I mean who thinks we will win more than 2 games? Our offense is scoring 9 points per game against FBS. What do we have to lose at this point by letting Graham throw 30-40x a game? If we throw for 300 yards but lose against North Carolina, would you feel better if we were actually putting up points and moving the ball? I would. 9 points per game is dreadful and not entertaining.

Have our OL dive and cut block at he snap - it will still buy you 3 seconds out of the gun and that’s all you need for most routes.

mcsoxxnation

Georgia Tech Fan
Some Coordinators aren't cut out to be Head Coaches. CGC had a nice resume at Miss St and Florida as DC, but was less than impressive as HC at Temple as they lost home games last year to FCS Villanova and Buffalo. That coupled with the Citadel loss and the loss yesterday with the offense shut out (after a Bye week) is concerning to say the least. This team definitely has enough talent to beat Citadel and not be shutout by Temple. This brand of football will do damage to recruiting that HYPE may not be able to overcome. If we have to recruit exactly the right players to fit any system and can't make a good D-1 athlete into a quality player, it's going to be a long ride......

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Some Coordinators aren't cut out to be Head Coaches. CGC had a nice resume at Miss St and Florida as DC, but was less than impressive as HC at Temple as they lost home games last year to FCS Villanova and Buffalo. That coupled with the Citadel loss and the loss yesterday with the offense shut out (after a Bye week) is concerning to say the least. This team definitely has enough talent to beat Citadel and not be shutout by Temple. This brand of football will do damage to recruiting that HYPE may not be able to overcome. If we have to recruit exactly the right players to fit any system and can't make a good D-1 athlete into a quality player, it's going to be a long ride......
Some are and some aren't, true but some of the greats have stumbled their first season or two and turned out fine. My gut is to say let Collins have time to at least get the recruits he needs for his system

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
The offense has scored 52 points in 4 games... That is 13 points per game. That is going to rank around dead last in the country, because Rice was averaging 13.5 points per game but just scored 20 yesterday where Georgia Tech offense scored 0.

Georgia Tech has 7 touchdowns on the year. Some interesting numbers:

Army scored 7 touchdowns in 1 game this year. Navy has scored 45 and 42 in single games this year.

In Paul Johnsons first game after converting to the triple option, the team ran for 350 yards and 6 touchdowns against Jacksonville State.

In game #4 this year against Temple, the offense put up 0 points and 305 total yards.

In game #4 in 2008 running 3O for the first time against Mississippi State, the offense put up 38 points and had 440 rushing yards and 4 rushing touchdowns, while passing for 63 yards and a score. 503 yards of offense.

Your statement is completely accurate. The transition was obviously easier under Johnson. I see no argument for the contrary.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Please reRread your own post carefully...the guy you referred to as one of the best offensive coaches prefers the system but ISN'T GOING TO RUN IT!!!! Wonder why? There has to be a reason(s) for this or else he would be running it. What am I missing here?
Please reread my post. It has more to do with people not supporting the program if he does. Kind of what we saw here. Damn shame

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Please reread my post. It has more to do with people not supporting the program if he does. Kind of what we saw here. Damn shame

Is it fair then to assume then that Chip Kelly believes that cons of running it outweighs the pros? That is the only logical conclusion that can be drawn. All coaches stake their careers and reputations on these types of decisions.

We like to huff and puff on the internet because we, at the end of the day, really don't have that much skin in the game.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
It seems like it shouldn’t be that hard, these seniors only have 3 years in the true triple option. Most of these kids played in some sort of spread from the shotgun in high school. Maybe I’m wrong, but it doesn’t seem like it should be hard to sharpen these guys up.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You wanted them to practice and call plays for an offense they have no intent on running long term, don't know how to coach or call plays for, and then try to recruit for a different offense while recruits are watching us run the same old same old? All of that just so the players can fit a little better and still have a bad year?
This is what they said they would do. CDP doesn't have a set offense. It's been mentioned that he will run whatever offense the players are geared towards. Like how he "had a run heavy offense at coastal Carolina bc that was their strength" then he "did more pass happy offense at Temple bc of the pocket passer qb" I'm paraphrasing, but this is essentially what was said.

Run something now that can be competitive, then install the dumb pro style offense everyone else runs when you have players more geared towards that.

This is what the coaching staff said they would do.

What they are doing now is just willfully losing. It's dumb, just like how dumb the direction of the program going is.

Running stuff we cannot sustain so we have a better perception. If only inception won you football games... But they don't. So while we get temporary media coverage now and people are so happy that CGC is a "media genius" , all that goes away after horrible willful losing seasons.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Keeping in mind - the Clemson game *was* that attempt to run an offense we knew how to run. They didn't come out throwing the ball 40 times. Very run heavy with option concepts, just out of the shotgun. I really thought we'd be better running the ball, the coaching staff might have thought the same. It just hasn't worked out.

Besides, you have to rip that band-aid off at some time and it might as well be now. You could run PJ's offense sure - keeping in mind that this coaching staff isn't versed in either the playbook, the techniques, or the in-game adjustments. At best - you're getting an inferior version of that offense. At worst, you could be just an inept as we are now while not laying any foundations for the future.

What do you do next year? You have 6 o-lineman coming in who aren't here to run the triple option. The rest of the O-line on the roster are still using option techniques. Do you start 6 true freshmen?

Also keep in mind that a lot of other schools can get athletes from junior colleges. That's how factories can do quick turnarounds in coaching changes. Tech isn't letting those players in. Our options are recruiting, transfers (who will usually have to sit) and grad transfers (which are a temporary fix).

Like it or not - pulling the band-aid off now allows the coaching staff to identify who they can build around and where we need help in a hurry.

Every football pundit in America, along with Vegas, knew this would be a rough year. I didn't want to see it (gold-colored glasses) but it's clear that there isn't a quick fix.
This is the best counter argument to my thinking I've read yet. I still dont necessarily agree with it, but at least it's logical.

CDP is supposed to be a multiple offense guy. Should be able to run something close. And just because it didn't work against a front seven that's probably actually closer to being the best in the nation, didn't mean it wouldn't be effective against other opponents on our schedule.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I just feel like regardless of talent, and we do have a lot of talent, you see design and structure in the actual plays, which are coached properly. Meaning you may see a TE who is slow as smoke but he will usually run the correct route. You may see a RB miss a blitz pick up but still be in the right place ( stay in the backfield and try to block ). A CB hand off coverage when there is no safety to hand it to.

You would see football type talent level differences, an inability to do it type thing. I don’t see this. I see confusion generally on each play. It looks like a Marco - Polo game in the backyard pool or a herd of kittens running from a playful dog, everyone is everywhere.

This is a coaching thing. Design is everything. Talent level exposes talent gaps between teams, poor design exposes a lack of coaching / adaptation to an existing talent level.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It seems like it shouldn’t be that hard, these seniors only have 3 years in the true triple option. Most of these kids played in some sort of spread from the shotgun in high school. Maybe I’m wrong, but it doesn’t seem like it should be hard to sharpen these guys up.

Well you are wrong. This is the most monumental transition in the history of college football. It’s almost like we have to completely reinvent the game from the ground up. :rolleyes:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Its impossible to compare apples to apples when comparing different teams in different years. It’s pretty damn hard to argue this is the worst start by a staff in the history of the program. And all of the excuse making for it is lame.

I’m really stunned more people couldn’t see this coming. I didn’t think we would lose to Citadel. But I thought we would be bad. I don’t know how our fans couldn’t recognize the talent level in this team. I watched the last few years just stunned at our lack of athleticism.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’m really stunned more people couldn’t see this coming. I didn’t think we would lose to Citadel. But I thought we would be bad. I don’t know how our fans couldn’t recognize the talent level in this team. I watched the last few years just stunned at our lack of athleticism.

I’m stunned we didn’t see the loss to the Citadel coming. Then again it was our first time watching CGC and company compete against FCS.

At least we will know what to expect next time.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I concede the fact that GT had more talent in 08 than 19 for CPJ to work with. I think the difference is really in the X and O coaching. Maybe Collins will be able to attract the talent needed to run the scheme we are running and the talent level will be the difference maker.
Here's the difference:

CPJ had a 4 star top 10 dual threat QB that was perfect for his offense. Where's CGC's 4 star top 10 dual or drop back passer?

CPJ had a 4 star RB that he himself described as the perfect BB for his offense. Where's CGC's 4 star RB that's perfect for his spread offense?

CPJ had 2 future NFL OLs (Andrew Gardner, Cord Howard) and a 4 star OL recruit (Nick Claytor). Which two OLs on our current line do you think is going to the NFL, and where's the third OL that's a 4 star recruit.

CPJ had a future first round NFL pick at WR with Demaryius Thomas Which one of our WRs is a future first round pick?

That's a pretty dang loaded offense.

Oh, and by the way, the defensive side was LOADED with future NFL talent. That 2008 DL was one of the most talented DLs in the country with 4 future NFL draft picks included a 1st and 2nd rounder. Suffice it to say, we would be hard pressed to find an NFL DL leftover from last year's team.

CPJ is the first person that will tell you physical talent trumps coaching schemes.

This is not a dig at CPJ, it's just pointing out you're not using an apple to apples comparison.

That is all 100% correct. However, that same team only won 7 games before CPJ got here. If Collins and Dave were great X and O coaches we would have beaten the Citadel. Both talent and coaching matters and while I didn’t expect to win 7 games, I did expect them to beat the Citadel. I am very concerned in our ability to scheme for an opponent. I believe Collins will recruit a very talented team. My concern is if the X and O aspect is weak then our ceiling may again be an occasional 7 win season. Perhaps my concerns are totally unfounded, but time will tell.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Sitting on the bench as a redshirt True Freshman.

Edit to add I agree with the overall premise of your post, but he did get Griffin to flip as soon as he got here. I'm somewhat surprised he's not playing already.

He got in the game yesterday actually, it was tough to get a read on his performance as he was getting first contact behind the line typically.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We may be watching the worst season in the history of our program a year after going to a bowl game. You are stunned no one saw that coming?