I guess it's easier to convert to "option" than to convert to "modern"

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
From an actual coach and not is bickering fans, it former players who have never coached football:

In the ideal world, Kelly, seemingly without a hint of irony, said he’d love to run the wishbone offense because “then you don’t even have to put in a pass offense if you’re really good at that.”

“I would love to run the wishbone,” Kelly said. “I would love to run the ball every play for the entire game and never have to throw the football. But that’s not going to happen.”

- Chip Kelly

One of the best offensive coaches in both college and NFL prefers our old offense. Looks like it's fans and our boosters are getting in the way of what could have been something special.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Here's the difference:

CPJ had a 4 star top 10 dual threat QB that was perfect for his offense. Where's CGC's 4 star top 10 dual or drop back passer?

Nesbitt was awesome but not perfect for the scheme.

CPJ had a 4 star RB that he himself described as the perfect BB for his offense. Where's CGC's 4 star RB that's perfect for his spread offense?

According to CGC he’s been on the sidelines a lot but got some playing time vs Temple.

CPJ had 2 future NFL OLs (Andrew Gardner, Cord Howard) and a 4 star OL recruit (Nick Claytor). Which two OLs on our current line do you think is going to the NFL, and where's the third OL that's a 4 star recruit.

Time will tell. Those guys weren’t kicks to make the league prior. They get coached up?

CPJ had a future first round NFL pick at WR with Demaryius Thomas Which one of our WRs is a future first round pick?

Our WRs have been making plays this year and making some great catches. CPJ got DT in a position to succeed. We probably have more depth now than then at the spot. But DT was an absolute beast.

That's a pretty dang loaded offense.

Oh, and by the way, the defensive side was LOADED with future NFL talent. That 2008 DL was one of the most talented DLs in the country with 4 future NFL draft picks included a 1st and 2nd rounder. Suffice it to say, we would be hard pressed to find an NFL DL leftover from last year's team.

CPJ is the first person that will tell you physical talent trumps coaching schemes.

This is not a dig at CPJ, it's just pointing out you're not using an apple to apples comparison.

Its impossible to compare apples to apples when comparing different teams in different years. It’s pretty damn hard to argue this is the worst start by a staff in the history of the program. And all of the excuse making for it is lame.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Before the season you voted we would win eight games this season. We’ll now be lucky to win two games and you seem perfectly fine with that. What’s changed? Not calling you out, genuinely curious.

I don’t think any of us are saying that we should be 9-3, but the offense is absolutely terrible. There have been zero bright spots. There have been zero signs we have any idea on how to move the ball. We lost two straight games against The Citadel and Temple. What’s worse? We never were ahead a single second in both of those games. That’s not simply a talented issue.
BINGO!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is forcing our coaches to run an offense we don’t know how to run. They could have kept most of the same offense in play while they get a different type of player into the roster.

You wanted them to practice and call plays for an offense they have no intent on running long term, don't know how to coach or call plays for, and then try to recruit for a different offense while recruits are watching us run the same old same old? All of that just so the players can fit a little better and still have a bad year?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Before the season you voted we would win eight games this season. We’ll now be lucky to win two games and you seem perfectly fine with that. What’s changed? Not calling you out, genuinely curious.

I don’t think any of us are saying that we should be 9-3, but the offense is absolutely terrible. There have been zero bright spots. There have been zero signs we have any idea on how to move the ball. We lost two straight games against The Citadel and Temple. What’s worse? We never were ahead a single second in both of those games. That’s not simply a talented issue.

Well...it might be a coaching talent issue.

Deleted member 2897

You wanted them to practice and call plays for an offense they have no intent on running long term, don't know how to coach or call plays for, and then try to recruit for a different offense while recruits are watching us run the same old same old? All of that just so the players can fit a little better and still have a bad year?

Nope. That’s not what I’m advocating at all. I’m just pointing out those were their options. In fact I’m pretty sure if you would have read the full post you’ll see if anything I was advocating the opposite.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Nobody is forcing our coaches to run an offense we don’t know how to run. They could have kept most of the same offense in play while they get a different type of player into the roster. They’re the ones that for 9 months could see what we have and what we can run.

Keeping in mind - the Clemson game *was* that attempt to run an offense we knew how to run. They didn't come out throwing the ball 40 times. Very run heavy with option concepts, just out of the shotgun. I really thought we'd be better running the ball, the coaching staff might have thought the same. It just hasn't worked out.

Besides, you have to rip that band-aid off at some time and it might as well be now. You could run PJ's offense sure - keeping in mind that this coaching staff isn't versed in either the playbook, the techniques, or the in-game adjustments. At best - you're getting an inferior version of that offense. At worst, you could be just an inept as we are now while not laying any foundations for the future.

What do you do next year? You have 6 o-lineman coming in who aren't here to run the triple option. The rest of the O-line on the roster are still using option techniques. Do you start 6 true freshmen?

Also keep in mind that a lot of other schools can get athletes from junior colleges. That's how factories can do quick turnarounds in coaching changes. Tech isn't letting those players in. Our options are recruiting, transfers (who will usually have to sit) and grad transfers (which are a temporary fix).

Like it or not - pulling the band-aid off now allows the coaching staff to identify who they can build around and where we need help in a hurry.

Every football pundit in America, along with Vegas, knew this would be a rough year. I didn't want to see it (gold-colored glasses) but it's clear that there isn't a quick fix.

Deleted member 2897

Every football pundit in America, along with Vegas, knew this would be a rough year. I didn't want to see it (gold-colored glasses) but it's clear that isn't a quick fix.

I didn’t see it, because I had assumed they would want to win and would play to our current roater’s strengths instead of trying to run something we aren’t ready for yet. It’s a legitimate position for them to take - use this entire year to build the future muscle memory even if we lose a lot of games.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn’t see it, because I had assumed they would want to win and would play to our current roater’s strengths instead of trying to run something we aren’t ready for yet. It’s a legitimate position for them to take - use this entire year to build the future muscle memory even if we lose a lot of games.

Too bad the worst team doesn't automatically get the #1 recruiting class - like some pro sports :)

Scubapro

Banned
Nobody is forcing our coaches to run an offense we don’t know how to run. They could have kept most of the same offense in play while they get a different type of player into the roster. They’re the ones that for 9 months could see what we have and what we can run, and they’re scoring 9 points per game against FBS. CPJ could win almost 8 games a season with those players over the long run. The only reasons to have a bad record this year are:
1) Bad coaching.
2) Don’t worry about winning, but rather play your future offense even if you don’t have the personnel.
3) Injuries.

In my own opinion, we’re seeing a mix of all 3.

In the future I may have the skills and size of Mike Tyson....doesn't mean I should try to fight like him my first day in the gym.

I could find any number of high school coaches from the metro that could out coach P-Nut
Jones at Dacula
Dyer at Archer
Either of these guys impress me more than p-nut

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

In the ideal world, Kelly, seemingly without a hint of irony, said he’d love to run the wishbone offense because “then you don’t even have to put in a pass offense if you’re really good at that.”

“I would love to run the wishbone,” Kelly said. “I would love to run the ball every play for the entire game and never have to throw the football. But that’s not going to happen.”

- Chip Kelly

One of the best offensive coaches in both college and NFL prefers our old offense. Looks like it's fans and our boosters are getting in the way of what could have been something special.

Please reRread your own post carefully...the guy you referred to as one of the best offensive coaches prefers the system but ISN'T GOING TO RUN IT!!!! Wonder why? There has to be a reason(s) for this or else he would be running it. What am I missing here?

No, I don't think anybody wanted CGC to keep the old offense. What is remarkable, however, is that they have the talent for a run-based game, and not a passing-based game, and yet they insist on passing. Make the most out of what you have until you can get what you want.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It is easier, that's why the triple was actually so perfect for our school , it gave us an advantage with weaker athletes

It also gave us an advantage the first few years as schools didn't have as much to prepare for it.

The issue was that as schools played us more they knew how to prepare for it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
No, I don't think anybody wanted CGC to keep the old offense. What is remarkable, however, is that they have the talent for a run-based game, and not a passing-based game, and yet they insist on passing. Make the most out of what you have until you can get what you want.

At this point, I am convinced they are being stubborn and refuse to call more option spread stuff because they feel it will hurt the “we’re moving away from the option” narrative. They are calling play calls for recruits, not to win games. He’s proven he’s a salesman and designing a temporary offense that fits our talent doesn’t sell what he’s trying to sell.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Our run blocking has been bad as well.

Well, maybe if we ran under center, with some sort of action to make the defensive front pause we could block. We should try that.