I Guess I Need a Lesson

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am just glad I did not call anything a TO. The blocking AB normally gives a TO away. The blocking AB veers inside to block for a dive and loops to LB or goes to CB on a TO. The unblocked DE makes it a veer, which I do not know much about.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am just glad I did not call anything a TO. The blocking AB normally gives a TO away. The blocking AB veers inside to block for a dive and loops to LB or goes to CB on a TO. The unblocked DE makes it a veer, which I do not know much about.
I guess I was seeing veer plays then.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys i am not really sure i understand the discussion. But an outside veer has 3 options which at a high level makes it a triple option. The outside veer attacks the tackle gaps for the dive then split off that based on the de read.

By nature it has 3 options. Is it pauls triple option. No. Its an outside veer. But its a play with 3 options.

There is no confusion its symantecs. Paul is being really technical.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Does the old GSU CPJ playbook that is floating somewhere online help clear any of his terminology up on these variations of double options versus the specific triple? Maybe I will send a personal message to Stylee to generate an email alert to him that we need his help.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Guys i am not really sure i understand the discussion. But an outside veer has 3 options which at a high level makes it a triple option. The outside veer attacks the tackle gaps for the dive then split off that based on the de read.

By nature it has 3 options. Is it pauls triple option. No. Its an outside veer. But its a play with 3 options.

OK. This helps. That is what I figure. There are indeed three options. I was sure JT was making reads on the give. The guy on the end was left unblocked. Now I feel better.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Could you explain how the outside veer differs from "Paul's triple option"?

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Could you explain how the outside veer differs from "Paul's triple option"?
Outside veer reads one man out of inside veer. The dive read was the outside linebacker on Saturday and those plays were outside veer. For inside veer the dive read would be the defensive end. There is also a midline triple option in which the dive read would be one man inside the inside veer. It would not be applicable vs a 3-4 or 5-2 but against 4-3 or 4-4 it would. Identifying who the reads are get more complicated but that's the gist of it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OV (as IV) can be run as either, at least theoretically. For example, we could run a midline as a triple but typically run it as a double.

thwgjacket

I would love to see a UGA grad try to follow this thread after saying we have a HS offense. One thing I noticed, we didn't run many trap plays to the AB's. It's really one of my favorite plays and I hope we run it more this year. To be fair to CPJ I was kind of biased towards that play Saturday after watching Navy have success with it against OSU.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
If the plays run were not TO, why were we leaving the guy on the end (the actual tackler on the plays in question) unblocked? I feel pretty sure JT WAS looking at the unblocked player on most of the handoffs I am referring to. I'm confused.
Boomer I was referring to the 3rd down play on our second possession. I wasn't trying to be a smart***. The TV analyst called it a bad read by Thomas but he's looking at Laskey not the defender. Also it's a LB not a DE that goes unblocked. I think that one was a called dive.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Outside veer reads one man out of inside veer. The dive read was the outside linebacker on Saturday and those plays were outside veer. For inside veer the dive read would be the defensive end. There is also a midline triple option in which the dive read would be one man inside the inside veer. It would not be applicable vs a 3-4 or 5-2 but against 4-3 or 4-4 it would. Identifying who the reads are get more complicated but that's the gist of it.
This is exactly it. We were leaving the guy outside the 3-4 DE unblocked and that is who we were reading (or as it turns out, not reading very well). I guess to me, this was just a TO that you run when they put 5 on the line. Now I know. It is called the outside veer. I can sleep well tonight. I don't know why I wanted to know so bad, but I did.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer I was referring to the 3rd down play on our second possession. I wasn't trying to be a smart***. The TV analyst called it a bad read by Thomas but he's looking at Laskey not the defender. Also it's a LB not a DE that goes unblocked. I think that one was a called dive.
Hey man, no offense taken at all. You are probably right about the play you are talking about. This kind of discussion is what I live for. Thanks for chiming in. I should probably just let this stuff go, but I really enjoy learning about this offense. Generally speaking, looking at where the QB's head and eyes are may be the BEST indicator if called dive or read. I'll agree totally about that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Btw a inside veer is the same as a midline triple option keying on the DT. They are all three option plays.

The fun motions you see or the lineman movements make the plays looks so different but in some cases its the same play. And whats better is you can do all this voodoo and just simply call a handoff that looks like a veer. But a called handoff and when it doesnt work everyone goes jt missed a read lol.