I Guess I Need a Lesson

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Nebraska didn't run the wishbone and didn't run the triple option in their Osborne heyday. Their offense was predicated on the FB trap and a double option off a trap fake.

They may have used the wishbone formation occasionally, but they weren't a triple option offense

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Why isn't the wishbone a true T-O? The QB makes a read for the dive and then the pitch. We ran the wishbone in HS and there were always 3 options for the QB in our offense.
I think of the wishbone as a formation out of which running a triple option is one possible play. We "ran" the wishbone in high school and although a triple option was our most common play, we ran many other plays from that "wishbone" formation.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think of the wishbone as a formation out of which running a triple option is one possible play. We "ran" the wishbone in high school and although a triple option was our most common play, we ran many other plays from that "wishbone" formation.
I agree with that 100%. The 3-O is a play, like a belly or counter-buck or whatever. A 3-O can be ran out of many formations. I interpreted the comment I responded to as the 3-O ran out of the Wishbone formation was not considered a "true 3-O" formation. That's what I was questioning.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
On the Offense---why didn't we run the midline(QB follow) off right Guard ,Mason A LOT? It seems the DT was shading outside him even though the NG was straight up on Burden.The LB was 3-4 yds back. It seems behind an All-am OG we could get good yds all day if Burden can neutralize NT and bback can take LB ..Why didn't we run this?
It seemed we ran it on left side with little success.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On the Offense---why didn't we run the midline(QB follow) off right Guard ,Mason A LOT? It seems the DT was shading outside him even though the NG was straight up on Burden.The LB was 3-4 yds back. It seems behind an All-am OG we could get good yds all day if Burden can neutralize NT and bback can take LB ..Why didn't we run this?
That would have been a great quesion for you to ask coach on his call show. I've always gotten through when I've called.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Midline would have worked in some short yardage situations. Wofford D was clogging the middle. There were better plays to call than midline for that reason IMO.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
midline is tough to run against a defense with a man head up the center. Considering, a typical midline is run right down the mid-line of the offense (meaning, right behind the center) towards the 3-technique side (outside shoulder of OG), you can't do that with a nose player.

You could run a variation and not block the DT playing on the OT, but that becomes a very tough read since the DT will be crashing down the line on both the give and the QB keep. Maybe that's a different play...kind of an inverted veer, but form under center.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
midline is tough to run against a defense with a man head up the center. Considering, a typical midline is run right down the mid-line of the offense (meaning, right behind the center) towards the 3-technique side (outside shoulder of OG), you can't do that with a nose player.

You could run a variation and not block the DT playing on the OT, but that becomes a very tough read since the DT will be crashing down the line on both the give and the QB keep. Maybe that's a different play...kind of an inverted veer, but form under center.

I see what you say but still to me it comes down to Ctr at least slowing the NT a bit to get 4 yds.