I gave up..

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I understand being upset. I understand acknowledging that things aren't looking good. I get all of that. I just don't understand thinking that the only way it is worth watching is if I am pleased with the proceedings. Sports are about the struggle, the competition. As a player the games that meant the most to me were always the ones that were hard fought. As a coach I would say the same thing. I just don't see how being a fan is that much different from being on the sideline. What would you think if half the players just decided to walk to the locker room in the 3rd quarter? Maybe I am totally crazy, but as a fan and a supporter of the program, I feel just as invested in the proceedings as if I was in uniform. Maybe it is because I WAS one of them years ago. I dunno.
Whatever. I am not passing judgement so much as expressing confusion. I just don't understand the mentality. That is all.

Sports isn't entertainment like a movie, or at least it isn't to me. Not when it is MY team. I'll walk out on a bad movie in a heartbeat. That is art and if I don't like the art and know I won't like the art for the next hour, so be it. I just don't view sports the same way.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I understand being upset. I understand acknowledging that things aren't looking good. I get all of that. I just don't understand thinking that the only way it is worth watching is if I am pleased with the proceedings. Sports are about the struggle, the competition. As a player the games that meant the most to me were always the ones that were hard fought. As a coach I would say the same thing. I just don't see how being a fan is that much different from being on the sideline. What would you think if half the players just decided to walk to the locker room in the 3rd quarter? Maybe I am totally crazy, but as a fan and a supporter of the program, I feel just as invested in the proceedings as if I was in uniform. Maybe it is because I WAS one of them years ago. I dunno.
Whatever. I am not passing judgement so much as expressing confusion. I just don't understand the mentality. That is all.

Sports isn't entertainment like a movie, or at least it isn't to me. Not when it is MY team. I'll walk out on a bad movie in a heartbeat. That is art and if I don't like the art and know I won't like the art for the next hour, so be it. I just don't view sports the same way.

Boomer, you just expressed what I am better than I could. Kudos!

Gojackets55

Banned

2004 Clemson has taught me to never leave a game or stop watching. Me and my dad left with 3 mins left after their running back waltzed in from 25 yards out, we rode home in silence and stopped at a convent store on the way home and a Clemson guy says "nice come back." My father thought he was being a smart *** and ignored him. We got home went straight to bed woke and and my dad went to get the paper and sure enough we walked out on one of the best games ever...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I've never quit watching a game.

I thought after the Brewer fumble play it was a repeat agism.

You can say what you would like but some of our recent teams wouldn't have overcame that.

This one can and did.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

You can say what you would like but some of our recent teams wouldn't have overcame that.

This one can and did.

You nailed that one. The heart of this team is something to see so far this year. As I said, Never, Ever Lose FAITH! :)

Atomic Jacket

Banned

Not passing judgment on you either, but frankly, if I'm not having input on any of the decisions made on the field, then I am nothing more than a spectator, albeit one who is hoping for a certain outcome. I am not invested in the outcome because I haven't had one iota of input on the decisions and efforts made. It is fruitless, and mayhap a bit masochistic, to become so wrapped up in the outcome of a game of which you have absolutely no control, that you would force yourself to watch and endure something you know is going to end badly. (Keep in mind I'm talking only about games that have become blowouts with practically no chance of a comeback).

Gojackets55

Banned
Not passing judgment on you either, but frankly, if I'm not having input on any of the decisions made on the field, then I am nothing more than a spectator, albeit one who is hoping for a certain outcome. I am not invested in the outcome because I haven't had one iota of input on the decisions and efforts made. It is fruitless, and mayhap a bit masochistic, to become so wrapped up in the outcome of a game of which you have absolutely no control, that you would force yourself to watch and endure something you know is going to end badly. (Keep in mind I'm talking only about games that have become blowouts with practically no chance of a comeback).
For you to not care about outcomes of games that much you sure do post on this board a lot. I could not imagine mowing grass during a tech game...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

This one can and did.
When that fumble play happened I just remember thinking "You have got to be kidding me". That was like a shot to the pills. You are right about the heart of the team though. They had 1001 reasons to believe it wasn't going to be their day. That play was just the tip of the iceberg, but it was also very symbolic of a lot of crap that has happened to us over the course of the last few seasons. This team finally got the monkey named "competitive but can't finish on the correct end of a score" off their back. We finished a contest and it feels great to do so. Personally, I feel like the better team won.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I can tell you my wife thinks I am crazy if it helps at all. I hear you. I have no illusions about having an impact on the outcome. That is a good point on your part. At least as a player and or a coach, you have as much and it makes a difference. For some reason, I still have the passion watching GT as if I did though. I am probably more like you when I am watching a game I am interested in, but it isn't MY team playing. If UGAg is playing and they get way ahead, then I don't have enough interest to keep rooting for their adversary of the week and I will do something else. However, if it is close, I'll keep watching 'cause I love it when the humpers lose.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I thought about mailing it in on the pass play to Smelter where the VT guy defended the play but Smelter had a second chance to grab it as the ball bobbled then, after the defender did a complete flip, his shoe knocks the ball away just as Smelter was about to grab it with no one between him and the end zone.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were all talking about this game. The one played yesterday. At what point was that a blowout? Down 10 with 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter? Down 6 at the half? After a scoreless 3rd quarter?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Can't imagine turning off the game... I have sat through plenty of arse whoopin's but still watched from the sofa or the stands. Will admit to leaving a game "early"... about 1:30 left and down by three scores AND had just given the ball back. Figured I didn't have to witness 3 runs / knees to have seen the game. But hey, if leaving the game when down by two scores and half the game to go is your thing... so be it.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I went out and mowed my back yard. Came back and played the DVR. You guys really need to take up a collection and pay me not to watch. :) Good (if improbable) win that opens up lots of possibilities for the rest of the year. Our guys appear to be a resilient bunch.
After they didn't get anything on that 3rd and 15, I took the dogs outside. I guess I thought to myself "I'd rather see literal dog**** than THIS dog****." I came back just in time to see JT's pass to Smelter. I was like, "this is great, but how in the name of Zeus's butthole did we convert that 4th and 15?" I still haven't seen it.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have a rule to never leave a game early, turn off the game early or stop listening before it is over. I never played football, but having played soccer and Rugby growing up I do it as a respect thing for the guys out there bleeding for my school.

This game, tested my resolve more than most - but I still kept it going and was so happy the guys pulled it out. I have seen every minute of our games when we crumbled back over the last few seasons, and am so thankful things are turning the corner.

After they didn't get anything on that 3rd and 15, I took the dogs outside. I guess I thought to myself "I'd rather see literal dog**** than THIS dog****." I came back just in time to see JT's pass to Smelter. I was like, "this is great, but how in the name of Zeus's butthole did we convert that 4th and 15?" I still haven't seen it.

there's an email making the rounds--photo of Paul Johnson captioned "4th and 15---deal with it."

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not passing judgment on you either, but frankly, if I'm not having input on any of the decisions made on the field, then I am nothing more than a spectator, albeit one who is hoping for a certain outcome. I am not invested in the outcome because I haven't had one iota of input on the decisions and efforts made. It is fruitless, and mayhap a bit masochistic, to become so wrapped up in the outcome of a game of which you have absolutely no control, that you would force yourself to watch and endure something you know is going to end badly. (Keep in mind I'm talking only about games that have become blowouts with practically no chance of a comeback).[/QUOTE

The players have to endure it, the coaches have to endure it, the least I can do is endure it with them. It's hard, sometimes very hard (I'm thinking about the misery of the MTSU game a couple of years ago). As a sidewalk fan, not being an Alumni,I really have no 'skin' in Georgia Tech football games (except for the fact that I love Georgia Tech since I was a little boy). It's hard for me to imagine giving up or turning away from your Alma Mater's sports teams. Georgia Tech demonstrated Saturday against VT what is so great about the legacy Georgia Tech - beating the odds. But, even the games that are blow-outs and things are falling apart end and hopefully the team picks up the pieces, learn from their mistakes and starts looking to the next game. I can't help think that it would matter to the kids playing if they knew their fans don't desert them when they're getting beat badly. Every team has fair-weather fans, but I promise you the kids at Georgia Tech care if you can't stay with them to the end; win or lose.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am having a little trouble making a connection in my brain with some of the stuff I am hearing in this thread. When I hear things like "I am glad I stuck it out" or "I didn't give up" or "didn't turn off the set" it just doesn't compute for me. I am lost. I get that sports is an emotional event. What I don't get is the implication that watching a loss is too much to bear. There is one winner and one loser in every contest. The very drama of it all is one of the main reasons we should watch. If we deny ourselves any possible pain and are only willing to experience the ups, then where are we?
It's not about avoiding the pain, just lessening it. It's like watching someone get electrocuted versus just knowing it happened. Somethings are too painful to watch, at times.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
The worst thing about being a Tech fan is that I can't tell whether the forums are nastier after a huge loss or a huge win. As fans we need to realize that some fans live and die on the highs and lows, and people react differently. Unless someone is honest-to-God trolling, let people vent.