How the Air Raid would Improve our offense tremendousley

JacketFan137

Banned

This kid leads the nation in passing yards at Western Kentucky. Albeit he is not a youngster, he is a zero star. To my point, don't get caught up in stars.....

spent 3 years at a JUCO though. that was my whole point. don’t expect pyron to show up day 1 and be a difference maker. will take at least a season maybe 2 getting used to the college game

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
spent 3 years at a JUCO though. that was my whole point. don’t expect pyron to show up day 1 and be a difference maker. will take at least a season maybe 2 getting used to the college game
Well part of your point was experience the other was stars. Oh well, let's get back to the original post. Air Raid could work. Pyron, Sims, Peery, Beatty, whoever....

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

The immediate impact of installing the air raid

From 1994-1996 the University of Kentucky went 9-24[3] while scoring 149, 223, and 138 points. Upon hiring Hal Mumme, they went 18-17 while scoring 348, 431, and 328 points from 1997-1999.

From 1996-1998 the University of Oklahoma scored 255, 232, and 184 points.[4] In 1999 they would score 430 points and finish 13-0 while scoring 481 points in 2000. The 481 points were the most they had scored in a season since 1987 when they were coached by Barry Switzer.

From 1997-1999 Texas Tech University scored 245, 315, and 253 points.[5] From 2000-2002 they would score 330, 402, and 537 points while improving their record to 9-5 by 2002. From 2002-2009 they never won fewer than 8 games under Mike Leach.

From 2000-2002 the University of Houston scored 211, 190, and 320 points.[6] In 2003, under Art Briles, they scored 448 points. That was the most since 1990 when they were coached by John Jenkins. Art would have 2 more seasons in which his teams would score over 440 points in a season. Kevin Sumlin would then take that up a notch with his teams scoring 528, 591, 452, and 660 points from 2008-2011.

From 2009-2011 the University of Texas A&M scored 427, 382, and 475 points.[7] Kevin Sumlin took over and led the 2012 Aggies to an 11-2 record while scoring 578 points and garnering a Heisman Trophy for QB Johnny Manziel.
I would absolutely love the air raid, been saying that for years!

But when it comes down to it, I don't care what we run, as long as it helps us win.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The air raid would be exciting and fans would love it if we can execute. My hesitation is that I feel like our biggest bright spot on O is our RBs, even when Gibbs leaves. Other than that…I say go for it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The air raid would be exciting and fans would love it if we can execute. My hesitation is that I feel like our biggest bright spot on O is our RBs, even when Gibbs leaves. Other than that…I say go for it.
Rb’s are the bright spot, unfortunately our OL‘s run blocking was a real weak spot this season, no doubt part of why Gibbs bailed

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't expecting this to be a good article, but I've been really enjoying it:

"It also opened up wide passing lanes through which even a short quarterback could see the whole field clearly." Could have certainly helped at times this year.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't expecting this to be a good article, but I've been really enjoying it:

"It also opened up wide passing lanes through which even a short quarterback could see the whole field clearly." Could have certainly helped at times this year.
Wow that was awesome

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah let’s just start a new rebuild during the one we’re currently having! going to a new system which we don’t have the players for right now, is a great way for us to be having this same discussion this time next year after another 3-9 season where we fail to utilize talent on the roster

just bring in a guy who runs a modern offense and can continue to develop guys like sims and peery and get pyron better. let’s lean on the good running backs we have and hope that blackburn is as advertised when he returns from injury.

let’s get some o line transfer targets so we don’t get bullied by even acc teams like pitt and miami
Remember what people said during CPJ's first season?? I think we will be ok.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Actually the air raid gets around offensive line deficiencies by getting the ball out very quick. You also spread your line out like we did in the flex which spreads the defense and threatens run. Both schemes are meant for teams that can't recruit NFL lineman often.
Man, the more i read about it the more i am onboard with us going this route, bring on Kittley.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We need to get the ball out quick pnut had way to many long developing playes with how our O-line plays that is a BIG PLUS
One of the things I didn’t like about Pnode was all the long developing plays. The other one that frustrated me was how long it sometimes too to signal in the plays. I was really hoping he’d work out and my misgivings about him when he was hired would be unfounded but…

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I didn’t like about Pnode was all the long developing plays. The other one that frustrated me was how long it sometimes too to signal in the plays. I was really hoping he’d work out and my misgivings about him when he was hired would be unfounded but…
I thought Pnode was not bad, but his offense seemed very pedestrian and predictable. I agree with you on how long it took to get plays in. I used to watch the play clock when CPJ was having to send in the play via a runner who then passed the play along to the quarterback who would then call the play. In spite of that, they usually broke the huddle at the 20-second mark on the play clock. I watched almost every play during the Georgia game, and the best I observed was us breaking the huddle with 16 seconds remaining on the clock, and most of the time it was in the 11 to 12 second time. That left very little time for setting up, reads, motion, etc.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I always thought the Air Raid was 4 Wrs / 1 back. Where does the H-back come into the picture?

That’s a more recent development. If you watch Mike Leach’s offenses at Wazzu and Texas Tech he didn’t use a TE. I haven’t watched a ton of Mrs State but I imagine it’s probably similar, although he probably inherited some TE/H-Back types. When Sonny Dykes was at Cal he ran off all the TE’s and the fan base went berzerk. Didn’t watch any SMU games recently so no idea if Dykes used a TE there.

I’ve referred to Air Raids that use a TE/H-Back as “Power Raid” - watch OU’s offense and they use a ton of AR concepts combined with a power running game … well, I guess they won’t be running the Power Raid anymore. What goes around comes around LR …

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If you watch Mike Leach’s offenses at Wazzu and Texas Tech he didn’t use a TE. I haven’t watched a ton of Mrs State but I imagine it’s probably similar, although he probably inherited some TE/H-Back types. When Sonny Dykes was at Cal he ran off all the TE’s and the fan base went berzerk. Didn’t watch any SMU games recently so no idea if Dykes used a TE there.
Leach wants a TE, but apparently hasn't found the right one
“What I would love to have, which I’ve tried over the years — and I hope to find one here — the true tight end guy,” Leach said Monday. “But you need a guy that one, can catch. Two, can run. And can move to a lot of positions and he’s effective, which sounds an awful lot like a defensive end, which is where all my potential tight ends have gone over the years for the most part, is defensive end. If we can get a full load of defensive ends, I’d love to get a guy like that, where you can move him around.”

Darren Waller would have excelled under Leach I feel.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Leach wants a TE, but apparently hasn't found the right one

Darren Waller would have excelled under Leach I feel.

You look at some of the TE’s Oklahoma has produced (Mark Andrews, Grant Calcaterra) in that offense and it’s no doubt Waller would’ve been an absolute beast. Probably way easier to find those kind of guys if you’re OU vs. Wazzu.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It’s a good idea. Going back to what I’ve said earlier, we’d be doing something different than everyone else. That truly helps in college football. We’d still need a defense to go along with it.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought Pnode was not bad, but his offense seemed very pedestrian and predictable. I agree with you on how long it took to get plays in. I used to watch the play clock when CPJ was having to send in the play via a runner who then passed the play along to the quarterback who would then call the play. In spite of that, they usually broke the huddle at the 20-second mark on the play clock. I watched almost every play during the Georgia game, and the best I observed was us breaking the huddle with 16 seconds remaining on the clock, and most of the time it was in the 11 to 12 second time. That left very little time for setting up, reads, motion, etc.
We did that on purpose to shorten the game vs UGA. We ran HUNH at times during the year.