How the Air Raid would Improve our offense tremendousley

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
yeah that makes sense. still i feel like people are just throwing out wild ideas for no reason. the o line play was so bad any way i don’t think it really matters

we also can’t give up 500+ yards and generate zero turnovers and expect to win.

i think we have the qb and skill position guys to run a modern spread. we just have to get o line play and playcalling more imaginative than running jordan mason straight up the gut on every 4th and short

Air raid is also a concept offense. I'd like to see us using more mesh route and mesh wheel concepts as a base play. They work from spread formations to and ironically this was the mid range to short range passign game johnson used as well (remember the mesh drag to deon hill on many occasions) I don't think we ran much of this the last three years. The caveat here is this does require at least 4 seconds to throw the ball, unless you roll out (removing the mesh and then turning it into a drag or run)

JacketFan137

Banned
Air raid is also a concept offense. I'd like to see us using more mesh route and mesh wheel concepts as a base play. They work from spread formations to and ironically this was the mid range to short range passign game johnson used as well (remember the mesh drag to deon hill on many occasions) I don't think we ran much of this the last three years. The caveat here is this does require at least 4 seconds to throw the ball, unless you roll out (removing the mesh and then turning it into a drag or run)
i do think our intermediate passing needs to improve and that is on scheme. seems like we’re either throwing the ball 40 yards or 4 and no in between. we have some good and fast WR and we didn’t get them the ball in space ever

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely agree. If we weren’t gonna hire Monken in 2018 then this is what we should have done. The theory of needing to run something different than the other guys still applies regardless if the majority of the fanbase had soured on the option.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
i do think our intermediate passing needs to improve and that is on scheme. seems like we’re either throwing the ball 40 yards or 4 and no in between. we have some good and fast WR and we didn’t get them the ball in space ever

Part of it is sims getting tipped at the line due to having a bad release (or yates not being able to find a lane to drew brees it) the other part is faking th mesh on all our slant concepts. Sometimes you just need to hit a quick slant and we didn't seem to have that. Even Johnson had the smoke route (which is actually a really hard throw) to do that attack.

JacketFan137

Banned
Part of it is sims getting tipped at the line due to having a bad release (or yates not being able to find a lane to drew brees it) the other part is faking th mesh on all our slant concepts. Sometimes you just need to hit a quick slant and we didn't seem to have that. Even Johnson had the smoke route (which is actually a really hard throw) to do that attack.
teams were also just getting to the qb so fast with 4 people if a team brought a blitzer these throws were being made with a man in your grill

i would hope that whoever comes in comes from a school that has offensive success and knows what it takes to call and design good plays

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
teams were also just getting to the qb so fast with 4 people if a team brought a blitzer these throws were being made with a man in your grill

i would hope that whoever comes in comes from a school that has offensive success and knows what it takes to call and design good plays

The counter to that when teams are getting that much pressure up front is screening till they stop it or running influence traps. Which we didn't do. You slow down overpentatration by earholing defensive tackles coming up field quickly. Nothing is a better teacher than pain.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Zach Pyron says hello.
Don’t think we should expect help next year from someone who hasn’t even signed yet much less even played a game. I don’t think you are going to see anybody other than Sims until gc is gone. gc has one year I don’t think he pin his hopes on an incoming freshman

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Don’t think we should expect help next year from someone who hasn’t even signed yet much less even played a game. I don’t think you are going to see anybody other than Sims until gc is gone. gc has one year I don’t think he pin his hopes on an incoming freshman
We are all speculating on here.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Adding to my other post the reason you don't see influence traps as often in the NFL is one they are amazingly good players and two it liek cutting is seen as not as honorable to do to a coworker. It isn't because they don't work (baltimore does them, the patriots use them often).

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
just unrealistic expectations to expect a kid like that to come in and be the savior. true freshman QBs aren’t gonna succeed unless they’re truly elite generational kinda prospects like fields, lawrence, etc
Don't let "Rivals" and "247" define "Elite" for you.

There are plenty of examples of 3 star and below QBs making an immediate impact as Freshman not to mention there impact in the NFL as QBs from "no where."

The overall point is this. We are all speculating at this point. We have no idea who GT is hiring at OC or DC or CB or ST, etc.... We may all be wasting our breath.

JacketFan137

Banned
Don't let "Rivals" and "247" define "Elite" for you.

There are plenty of examples of 3 star and below QBs making an immediate impact as Freshman not to mention there impact in the NFL as QBs from "no where."

The overall point is this. We are all speculating at this point. We have no idea who GT is hiring at OC or DC or CB or ST, etc.... We may all be wasting our breath.
yeah i’m just speaking for the vast majority of situations though. statistically it’s just unlikely that a non 5 star comes in and has immediate impact, ESPECIALLY at the QB position.

also as much as people love to act like recruiting rankings matter they most definitely do. all the teams typically in the CFP conversation tend to be the teams that recruit the best. good coaches do more with less but those are the exceptions not the rules

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Adding to my other post the reason you don't see influence traps as often in the NFL is one they are amazingly good players and two it liek cutting is seen as not as honorable to do to a coworker. It isn't because they don't work (baltimore does them, the patriots use them often).
So what do we think we would need, which we don't currently have on the team, to successfully implement an Air Raid Offense? And don't say a coach :)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So what do we think we would need, which we don't currently have on the team, to successfully implement an Air Raid Offense? And don't say a coach :)

TE/Hbacks actually. I think Sims would not be bad in an air raid with proper coaching only because it removes a lot of the reading from him and you can run a version that is a 2 read and run plan. (aka the manzeil offense). But we are missing the TE/Hback that makes the thing work well Your run game really goes through having a really good blocker that can also catch the dump offs to keep the chains moving. Our line is actually probably set up for it. We have the big boys that eat space but need them to get more agile. by spreading them out into air raid splits it makes it much harder for the defensive line to stunt.

JacketFan137

Banned
TE/Hbacks actually. I think Sims would not be bad in an air raid with proper coaching only because it removes a lot of the reading from him and you can run a version that is a 2 read and run plan. (aka the manzeil offense). But we are missing the TE/Hback that makes the thing work well Your run game really goes through having a really good blocker that can also catch the dump offs to keep the chains moving.
we need a big athlete like the guys uga have at TE. seems like a missing hole in our offense

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
yeah i’m just speaking for the vast majority of situations though. statistically it’s just unlikely that a non 5 star comes in and has immediate impact, ESPECIALLY at the QB position.

also as much as people love to act like recruiting rankings matter they most definitely do. all the teams typically in the CFP conversation tend to be the teams that recruit the best. good coaches do more with less but those are the exceptions not the rules

This kid leads the nation in passing yards at Western Kentucky. Albeit he is not a youngster, he is a zero star. To my point, don't get caught up in stars.....