How the ACC sees Tech

Deleted member 2897

Bottom line, when you have to devote 30% of your defensive practice time and your scout team time to Georgia Tech and CPJs offense, it means you are afraid to play him. Tell me another team of offense that this is the case. The Flex Bone attack is Georgia Tech.

And when UCF cancels because they don't have enough time to prepare, and when Auburn cancels so you replace them with Ole Miss who cancels and then you have to go to option 3 USF, its just more data points. And when your opposing teams in the ACC have twice as many bye weeks before they play you as you get in return...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our inability to create turnovers last year was a big weakness in 2017. We couldn't get stops when we needed them. Our ST kicking was not good early in the year and absolutely cost us the UT game.

John1993

Georgia Tech Fan
We're still a ways off before the season starts, but I've got a good feeling about this team. We have a very challenging schedule, but I'm hopeful that we can flip the script this year. Playing USF, Clemson, Va Tech, Louisville, Miami and UGA will give CNW lots to worry about.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We're still a ways off before the season starts, but I've got a good feeling about this team. We have a very challenging schedule, but I'm hopeful that we can flip the script this year. Playing USF, Clemson, Va Tech, Louisville, Miami and UGA will give CNW lots to worry about.

Imo we need to add Duke (6'5" experienced qb and a good coach) to the list.

IMO The Duke game is a key measurable on the state of the program. A big loss puts us at 4l of last 5 with the 1w by 3 points. Duke will be our 7th game so our offense and are defense will be ready. Duke is a home game.

As a big win will end much of the negative speculation, a big loss will .....

I Have Hope we throttle Duke - but Clemson and UGA not so much.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If we make the necessary improvements to be good in all 3 phases, a big if, Clemson is the only team to fear. That’s a big if still but doable.

And it wouldn’t surprise me a ton to see us beat Clemson and uga and lose to Pitt and Lville. Football is a crazy game.
Me either.

I agree that we need improvement on D and ST. I think the O will do just fine if the team doesn't have to play multiple games in the slop. That made a big difference last year. That's why I'm laying in a supply of sacred chickens and carrying a sharp knife this season.

Update: Sorry I didn't post links to the articles. It's fun to read them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Couldn't we field both men's and women's teams to no be hurt by this?

I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes. I think the correlative question is how much extra cost is involved given that they are typically non-revenue sports.

IIuc, men's soccer has 9.9 allowed scholarships and women's soccer has 14 allowed scholarships. Then you have to deal with salaries for coaches and staff etc for each squad.

I do wonder whether soccer might be a revenue sport for GT, but it's hard to predict that.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Bottom line, when you have to devote 30% of your defensive practice time and your scout team time to Georgia Tech and CPJs offense, it means you are afraid to play him. Tell me another team of offense that this is the case. The Flex Bone attack is Georgia Tech.
Does that really make you feel good to say teams are afraid to play Tech because of the offense? The ACC teams aren't afraid, they just don't like to use abnormal practice time to adjust to the TO. Some of you CPJ backers really amuse me defending johnson & his offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Does that really make you feel good to say teams are afraid to play Tech because of the offense? The ACC teams aren't afraid, they just don't like to use abnormal practice time to adjust to the TO. Some of you CPJ backers really amuse me defending johnson & his offense.

Fwiw, reference to teams being "afraid" to play us comes from GTAA folk talking about the difficulty scheduling OOC Pwr5 teams.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Fwiw, reference to teams being "afraid" to play us comes from GTAA folk talking about the difficulty scheduling OOC Pwr5 teams.
Fair enough, but another reason why the TO holds Tech back for scheduling home & home games with national powers that get attention.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
  • If you mean are they physical cowards, of course not. But afraid in the sense of getting sandblasted on the edge and busted in the middle, yes. Was it Malzohn who told his Auburn AD never to schedule Tech?It's odd to me that when the spread was introduced at Oregon by Kelly, nobody wanted to play them, either. And while I like most of what Clemson does in the spread, the QB has a summer vacation to make the reads. Just not exciting compared to Johnson's offense, which I think is the only true option offense left.