how many times have you watched the blocked kick and Lance?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
yes, he said in post game he did not realize
Johnson said he did not realize it was live? Or do you mean Austin? Surely. Johnson was trying to keep his guys away from a live ball lest it get bumped and then picked up by FSU. The head ball coach surely knows that rule. If not, hit the stadium steps.

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
My favorite is Brandon yelling "he scores, he scores!". For some reason, I get teary eyed every time I watch it, very emotional. The best ending to a Tech game I have seen in
59 years as a fan.
it's like the Man upstairs has a plan for GT and we fans give up so easily with all the injuries but this one was meant for the Austins and would they be given a chance if all were healthy

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is a great one; in perfect step with each other:

35lybes.jpg
Seeing it from that angle scares the bejeesus out of me. Let him cross the goal line before putting a hand on him. Yeah, I know that makes me paranoid about the officials, but there it is.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Seeing it from that angle scares the bejeesus out of me. Let him cross the goal line before putting a hand on him. Yeah, I know that makes me paranoid about the officials, but there it is.
Just the angle. Other videos show he was clearly across before being touched or dropping the ball.

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
I've watched it at least two dozen times. Pure magic. If I'm the twins' dad, the picture of Lance and Lawrence crossing the goal line for the game winner gets blown up, framed, and hung on my wall.
I would like to see an isolation on Lawrence throughout the entire play. Being a twin he has that "connection" with his twin brother unlike any other brothers! Lawrence had to streak down the opposite side behind all the action in order to meet Lance at the goal line...knowing he was going to score! They were lined-up one behind the other before the ball snapped!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pretty interesting breakdown by Rick Neuheisel (on XM radio college channel) on why returns like that will change the way coaches man field goal teams.

Basically said the rules for how the offense has to line up (at the hip of the guy next to you but not allowed to stagger the same as normal offensive plays) basically puts players at a disadvantage when it comes to "blossoming out" to cover possible returns. Obviously since there have to be O-linemen to protect against the initial surge, the O is at an additional disadvantage when it comes to covering kicks.

Also said coaches will be sure to put defense at the wings since they're used to 'setting the edge' and are more likely to make a tackle.

I have no idea how much of this is old news so don't tase my bro. I've just never heard it discussed in detail.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Pretty interesting breakdown by Rick Neuheisel (on XM radio college channel) on why returns like that will change the way coaches man field goal teams.

Basically said the rules for how the offense has to line up (at the hip of the guy next to you but not allowed to stagger the same as normal offensive plays) basically puts players at a disadvantage when it comes to "blossoming out" to cover possible returns. Obviously since there have to be O-linemen to protect against the initial surge, the O is at an additional disadvantage when it comes to covering kicks.

Also said coaches will be sure to put defense at the wings since they're used to 'setting the edge' and are more likely to make a tackle.

I have no idea how much of this is old news so don't tase my bro. I've just never heard it discussed in detail.

I think teams may adjust some on long field goals but the vast majority of field goals aren't returnable. It's a rare situation and to risk making the field goal by using different personnel just in case the ball stays within the field of play and is returned doesn't make much sense to me. Coaching o-linemen to be more aware and having a couple good defenders on the wings may occur though.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

I was kind of thinking along the same lines, that teams might start asking some bigger LBs or faster DEs to take that edge spot on blocking for FGs so they have someone with a little speed/athleticism out there to track down a return. Not the worst idea in the world, until a LB attempting to block turns a guy like Milton loose on the edge, then the pendulum will probably come swinging back the other way.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was kind of thinking along the same lines, that teams might start asking some bigger LBs or faster DEs to take that edge spot on blocking for FGs so they have someone with a little speed/athleticism out there to track down a return. Not the worst idea in the world, until a LB attempting to block turns a guy like Milton loose on the edge, then the pendulum will probably come swinging back the other way.
Yup. Far greater potential disaster, on average, by having the kick blocked backwards. You still have to keep people off the kicker or you are asking for trouble.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Just based on percentages of field goals returned vs those blocked it is more likely that personnel will not change. Coaching awareness may get a step up in emphasis.

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
Couple things that stand out to me:

1) Others have brought up how perfect it set up with the twins crossing the goal line together. There were so many other little details that had to happen exactly as they did :
- Milton is strutting down the field celebrating the block before realizing Lance was returning it. That unintentionally put him in the best position out of anyone to make the block on the holder...
- Milton's block on the holder cut off what would have been a tough angle for Lance to shake. Instead he was left diving at Lance's ankles.
- The holder's dive pushed Lance precariously close to the sideline, where a little nudge would have cut the miracle short. It's right at this instant that Aguayo commits to his pursuit angle on Lance to push him out of bounds - before that he was more cautiously approaching, hoping for an open field tackle or trip. That made the cutback a no brainer. Aguayo's midair 360 whiff is pretty impressive too.
I was doing some reading on Synchronicity recently. If this play (and the backstory with injuries, Austin twins, Gma Louise, etc) isn't the perfect example of that, I don't know what is.

2) HOW DOES THE ENTIRE BAND KEEP ITS COMPOSURE when the rest of the stadium is pandemonium!?!?!?

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
3) Marcordes totally BULLDOZED his guy on the kick. Not sure what affect it had on the rest of the play, if any. But Kudos anyway!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My FSU buddy's son and mine play on the same little league baseball team and they had a game tonight. He was flipping burgers at the concession stand and taking forever and I was starving. So I walk up to him and say "Hey, you didn't false start the grill did ya?"

Later in the evening he was sitting on the bleacher so I sat down infront of him and next to his wife with the "block six" playing on my phone. She says "whatcha watchin'?" As my buddy, who's a Jax cop, is hearing Brandon Gaudin going nuts on my phone says "You do know I have a gun right?"

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My FSU buddy's son and mine play on the same little league baseball team and they had a game tonight. He was flipping burgers at the concession stand and taking forever and I was starving. So I walk up to him and say "Hey, you didn't false start the grill did ya?"

Later in the evening he was sitting on the bleacher so I sat down infront of him and next to his wife with the "block six" playing on my phone. She says "whatcha watchin'?" As my buddy, who's a Jax cop, is hearing Brandon Gaudin going nuts on my phone says "You do know I have a gun right?"

To which you replied, "Really? I heard FSU was an all girls school."

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer

You sure he isn't UGA?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just based on percentages of field goals returned vs those blocked it is more likely that personnel will not change. Coaching awareness may get a step up in emphasis.
I tend to agree. Two such blocks and returns, despite being a week apart, do not constitute the dreaded "trend". They'll probably spend more time going over the rules and the scenarios, and showing TV clips just to scare the heck out of special teams.