how many times have you watched the blocked kick and Lance?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How about the blatant hold by FSU #78 on Gamble yet we still got the block! What an effort!!
Seems to me there are certain times or situations that unless the offender uses an ax, no penalty will be called because no ref wants to be focal point of that kind of controversy. The hold is probably an example. I kept holding my breath after Austin hit the EZ, waiting for a penalty flag back upfield. A clip, hold, offside, block in the back, too much white, whatever. But probably it would have taken a street mugging to get it called. Were I an official nothing would get flagged then. Let 'em play.

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems to me there are certain times or situations that unless the offender uses an ax, no penalty will be called because no ref wants to be focal point of that kind of controversy. The hold is probably an example. I kept holding my breath after Austin hit the EZ, waiting for a penalty flag back upfield. A clip, hold, offside, block in the back, too much white, whatever. But probably it would have taken a street mugging to get it called. Were I an official nothing would get flagged then. Let 'em play.
yeah, I say let 'em play also...just pointing out what had to be overcome by Gamble to block it...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
yeah, I say let 'em play also...just pointing out what had to be overcome by Gamble to block it...
No, I get it. I wasn't second guessing, just expressing my own fear that some overzealous ref may decide to make his bones with a stupid call that had no effect on the play at all. My son once ran 82 yards for a TD. The score had no impact on the game, just made the winning score bigger. It was called back for an innocuous "push in the back" of a defender 35 yards behind the play. It ticked everybody, but what really got to the coach was that he ref turned and smiled at him after the call, and there had been no interplay between them at all.