How Important is Recruiting?

JacketFan137

Banned
And you have accepted that there is no uncertainty in college football. But a moments consideration will show that isn't true. What if, say, Oklahoma State or, more likely, Texas A&M came to Kirby and offered him the farm to switch. I think the chances are 40-60 that he'd stay at Ugag under those circumstances. And when he leaves - if he does - his staff goes with him and some of the athletes too. And the recruiting networks take a beating. And Georgia returns to Earth. There are other ways this could happen too.

Now, do I think this will happen? No. But I didn't think Jimbo Fisher would leave FSU either. Short me = there is no certainty in college football or in too much anything else.
uga has committed so hard to football and kirby it would take a sport defining paycheck to get him to move. it would also just be ill advised because he’s finally filled his team to the brim with the absolute most talent any college football coach has ever had.

the nfl is the only destination that would make any sense for kirby and even then he’s not really showing any inkling of wanting to go there

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And you have accepted that there is no uncertainty in college football. But a moments consideration will show that isn't true. What if, say, Oklahoma State or, more likely, Texas A&M came to Kirby and offered him the farm to switch. I think the chances are 40-60 that he'd stay at Ugag under those circumstances. And when he leaves - if he does - his staff goes with him and some of the athletes too. And the recruiting networks take a beating. And Georgia returns to Earth. There are other ways this could happen too.

Now, do I think this will happen? No. But I didn't think Jimbo Fisher would leave FSU either. Short me = there is no certainty in college football or in too much anything else.
Kirby is not leaving Georgia until he retires or they run him off. He’s home, at his alma mater, and making a case to be the best coach in their history.

But it really doesn’t even matter if he’s there or not. Yeah he’s a good defensive mind; but it’s not like they’re doing anything ground breaking over there. They just literally have the best team in college football. I sincerely, whole heartedly believe Geoff Collins could win 10 games and the SEC East there. It wouldn’t even be hard. They could probably win 10 games without a head coach at all. That’s how much better they are than everyone else.

I’d love to be proven wrong, I just don’t think that will happen unless there’s some sort of cataclysmic event either within their system or across college football as a whole.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Admit I haven't read this whole thread. Just answering the thread title with a question. Without looking it up, how many offensive "skill position" players, at Tech, did Ross, O'Leary, and Fridge put in the nfl and had long term success? I'm sure I'm missing some, but Kelly Campbell,.....?
Just give be ball players and play!!

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I think most of this entire comment is just a bunch of hooplah.

Kirby is a good coach, his teams play with discipline and rarely make boneheaded mistakes. But the reason UGA went from being a pretender to a powerhouse has almost nothing to do with his coaching abilities, and everything to do with UGA’s spending on football skyrocketing. If Richt had been given the resources Kirby has, he would’ve played for and won Nattys too.

UGA was tired of not getting the job done, so they pulled all the stops and committed fully to becoming the best college football program in the country. Seems like it’s working out well for them. At this point, as long as college football exists in its current state, UGA will continue to be the best program in the country. There are only 2 schools in the country who I think maybe, maybe, can get to their level. That’s USC and Texas, and neither one of them are close to that right now. But there’s enough money and talent in both of those places that if they ever get it figured out again, they could be dangerous.

Ironically as UGA’s football spending was skyrocketing, Tech’s was shrinking. That’s how we ended up where we are today. With UGA at the top of the pyramid, and Tech buried in the tomb beneath it.

You're wrong, but that's fine. Kirby is a real x/o guy with good OC/DC's. The first time in decades for UGA to have all three main positions with real coaches.

Yes, spending helps, but to act like UGA was slumming it prior to Kirby is silly. They've been a top 10 revenue program for 30 years.

I can tell you this. If we have our choice of any coach in CFB, regardless of their current team or contract, Kirby would/should get 50%+ of the vote. Maybe the Ohio State coach would get as much, but no other coach should be within spitting distance. Kirby would be my #1 choice and there would be no other on my list.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Since this thread is about recruiting impact and your posts minimized it as a difference-maker in UGA’s recent improvement, I feel it’s worthwhile to look deeper since we have actual data to support the discussion.

Previous posters have given us the Rivals average recruiting rankings for Richt. I computed this for Smart as well and compared his 7-year tenure with Richt’s most recent 7-years (which is most relevant since that includes the period when I saw the complaints over his recruiting).

Richt Ave Rank: 9 (source is wrmathis post above)

Smart Ave Rank: 3.3

Since your comments also minimized the difference in the count of highly ranked players between a five and ten ranking, I compared that as well, again using Rivals.

SmartSmartRichtRicht
5*4*5*4*
Ave4.013.91.111.4

Overall, Smart has averaged nearly 3 additional 5-stars per year and 2.5 additional 4-stars. In the context of Richt’s baseline of 1.1 5-stars per year, that is a very significant improvement in elite players on the team.

Again, not arguing who is the best game-day coach. As others have said, UGA’s improvement has as much to do with the overall commitment level of the school as anything else. But my point here is that Smart's recruiting improvement is a significant component and the raw data supports that. My other original point was that recruiting at positions of most need, such as OL/DL, is an equally important aspect of recruiting.

that's fine. I said early in this thread that recruiting is very important. I replied to a notion that Richt was poo-poo'd for recruiting. I know quit a few UGA fans, alumni and those that have followed them for life and not a one spoke of recruiting. The coaching side was all that was talked about. They were very happy with recruiting (and should have been). Kirby is better, fine, but recruiting has NEVER been a problem for UGA in my lifetime. Only a few schools could boast more talent, year in and year out.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think if you just accepted the fact that for the next 5-10 years or so Georgia will be the best program in the country, it’ll make it a lot easier on you. They had 15 players taken in the NFL draft last year, including 5 of their defensive starters on the most dominant defense in college football last year. How is their defense this year? Well it’s just the best in the country again. Nothing is going to slow them down. They have too much money and too much support to allow it to happen. Who is going to step up and compete with them? Ohio State is literally the only team with a chance, and they couldn’t beat Michigan who got blasted by UGA on a neutral field last year.
So true but OSU may have fared better given their passing attack. I think a lot of folks (myself) on this board desperately want it to be us to stop them. The unfortunate reality is we just lack the funds right now BUT given how dramatically things have changed (e.g., Portal, NIL, immediate eligibility, etc) in the past 3 years, anything can happen.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Posting this here so as not to take another thread off topic.

I don't think it's fair to presume recruiting for any spread option system would automatically be as difficult as it was under CPJ. I always personally liked Coach Johnson. But he's on the record as saying that he thinks 'recruiting' is a bunch of nonsense, schools recruit themselves, 'kids today think that stuff is neat I guess'. (Go listen to the podcast he did with Jeff Shultz a few years back, he's pretty open about his feelings.) I believe, if CPJ had bought in more on recruiting, he probably could've done better. The HC sets the tone for the program and I don't think he pushed his staff on it either. He also was lacking in support/resources, especially under Bobinski. But I don't think he was motivated to push hard for resources for recruiting - especially when there were other unaddressed priorities.

I'm not trying to re-litigate any arguments about CPJ's recruiting. Just to say that the 'option offense' wasn't the only variable in the recruiting equation. If Tech hires Chadwell or another HC or OC with an 'option offense', that will only be one variable, among many, on how well they can recruit. Resources, staff effort, staff ability, NIL, wins; will matter much more IMHO.

Just like running an 'NFL-Pro-Spread-Multiple' didn't automatically elevate recruiting for C****. Even though he put all his efforts and energy into it. Outside of one class, his were only a few spots better than CPJ.

We should expect a coach/staff to work on and succeed in both Jimmies & Joes and Xs & Os. Whether one or the other is your stronger aptitude, you need both to win.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Posting this here so as not to take another thread off topic.

I don't think it's fair to presume recruiting for any spread option system would automatically be as difficult as it was under CPJ. I always personally liked Coach Johnson. But he's on the record as saying that he thinks 'recruiting' is a bunch of nonsense, schools recruit themselves, 'kids today think that stuff is neat I guess'. (Go listen to the podcast he did with Jeff Shultz a few years back, he's pretty open about his feelings.) I believe, if CPJ had bought in more on recruiting, he probably could've done better. The HC sets the tone for the program and I don't think he pushed his staff on it either. He also was lacking in support/resources, especially under Bobinski. But I don't think he was motivated to push hard for resources for recruiting - especially when there were other unaddressed priorities.

I'm not trying to re-litigate any arguments about CPJ's recruiting. Just to say that the 'option offense' wasn't the only variable in the recruiting equation. If Tech hires Chadwell or another HC or OC with an 'option offense', that will only be one variable, among many, on how well they can recruit. Resources, staff effort, staff ability, NIL, wins; will matter much more IMHO.

Just like running an 'NFL-Pro-Spread-Multiple' didn't automatically elevate recruiting for C****. Even though he put all his efforts and energy into it. Outside of one class, his were only a few spots better than CPJ.

We should expect a coach/staff to work on and succeed in both Jimmies & Joes and Xs & Os. Whether one or the other is your stronger aptitude, you need both to win.
I think the lack of recruiting staff was much more to blame. Duke had far more than we did by the end.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think the lack of recruiting staff was much more to blame. Duke had far more than we did by the end.
They had more than us in 2010 or 11 when Desoto high (s of fort worth) had open house for recrtiuters to see their 20 D1prospects. They did this to stop the constant distraction. Son called me and said where is Gt - even Duke is at Desoto!

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
the most important thing in this sport as evidenced by tonight. stars and recruits matter
NCAA football should get rid of conferences and make a "5 star" "4 star" "3 star" divisions. All the 5 star teams play each other and have championship. The 4 star teams play each other, etc. Then have promotion and relegation like they have in European soccer in which a 4 star team could rise to the 5 star division. A 5 star team could get relegated to the 4 star division if they are in last place in the 5 star division.

JacketFan137

Banned
NCAA football should get rid of conferences and make a "5 star" "4 star" "3 star" divisions. All the 5 star teams play each other and have championship. The 4 star teams play each other, etc. Then have promotion and relegation like they have in European soccer in which a 4 star team could rise to the 5 star division. A 5 star team could get relegated to the 4 star division if they are in last place in the 5 star division.
i don’t see something like this ever happening. as exciting as it is to watch the top 10 play each other in the end of the season, i highly doubt that those teams will want to play each other every single week and go 6-4, 7-3 etc.

those teams need cannon fodder to pad stats and juice their records so they can sell 12-0 bama vs 12-0 ohio state type of matchups

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
that's fine. I said early in this thread that recruiting is very important. I replied to a notion that Richt was poo-poo'd for recruiting. I know quit a few UGA fans, alumni and those that have followed them for life and not a one spoke of recruiting. The coaching side was all that was talked about. They were very happy with recruiting (and should have been). Kirby is better, fine, but recruiting has NEVER been a problem for UGA in my lifetime. Only a few schools could boast more talent, year in and year out.
I don't keep up with recruiting, other than Tech of course, but I believed that UGA had more 5 stars than the chart shows. It is the consistency of getting more than just one or two each year that is impressive and the waves of 4 stars as well. Only a handful of factories can come close to those numbers and we will never be in that elite club.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I don't keep up with recruiting, other than Tech of course, but I believed that UGA had more 5 stars than the chart shows. It is the consistency of getting more than just one or two each year that is impressive and the waves of 4 stars as well. Only a handful of factories can come close to those numbers and we will never be in that elite club.
Which makes beating them that much sweeter.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

WAIT!

Did someone say "relegation"? As in European football league relegation?

Welcome, brother. I share your views, and I've posted about this approach on multiple occasions.

Last edited:

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh I definitely know this would never happen. It's just sad to me that we as GT fans only look forward to the hope of making it to the ShamWow Bowl.