How Good Was Coach Johnson at Tech?

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
No scandals? We had an ACC championship vacated. Was it for a stupid reason? Sure. Was it a scandal? Yes.
That wasn’t a scandal by any stretch of the imagination, but even if you want to call it one, the (extremely minor) mistakes in that “scandal” were made by DRad and not CPJ.

The mistakes and scandal were so minor that it had absolutely no influence on Clemson offering DRad their AD job soon after.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just tell me where I’m wrong. Our record for 15-17 was 17-19. Johnson was asked about the downturn over these years specifically and responded with “we are a 6 win program.” He was very condescending of the program and basically said there was not a downturn during this time which is crap. Data supports my point. Show me another 3 year stretch since 96 where we were under 500 and I’ll concede your point.

I really don’t like arguing but when we are getting facts wrong on this board to support a narrative about our previous coach it’s hard for me to let it go.

Your wrong in judging the state of the program by looking only at W-L.

Winning % vs opponents with the same number of scholarship players (no FCS):

GOL: .602
CCG: .561
CPJ: .539

CPJ had a losing record against FBS opponents in 5/11 seasons. He got fat and happy against lower tier competition.

Best post ever

This post should be a thread ender IMO

Keep up the good work

Time to usher in a new Era of GT FB, I'm behind you Coach G

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Best post ever

This post should be a thread ender IMO

Keep up the good work

Time to usher in a new Era of GT FB, I'm behind you Coach G

I see that you are new. welcome! One of the unwritten rules here is that there is no such thing as a "thread ender" (sadly in some cases). What to the novice eye appears to be a "thread ender" only serves to cause the dissenters to go dig up more data (the intelligent ones) or simply repeat their opinions again (the more intellectually challenged ones) in mistaken belief that the reader didn't see their previous post or perhaps didn't understand it. (this is true no matter the original topic). This coaching debate will repeat until the internet ceases to exist. It's getting ready to mutate a bit though...it will now be CGC vs. CPJ vs. CCG vs. CGOL vs etc., etc.

Again welcome and hope the above helps you get the lay of the land here just a little better,

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ was a good coach. Comparable to O'Leary & Gailey and maybe Alexander. But well below Heisman and Dodd. Not the best and far from the worst (who are more numerous). He did everything he could and did us a great service by departing the way he did. GT would have been fine with CPJ next year and we'll probably be fine with CGC. It'll be interesting to see.

Here is how it has been. Power Ranking is still my favorite stat since it accounts for SoS and home/away and is relative to the time. I don't like numbers of wins since the length of the season has changed and the ability to get into bowls has increased. But it's a preference and anyone can use the stats to make whatever case they want. Like total number of wins for CPJ since he was here so long.

image.png

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for correcting me .
Saying I wished Will had gotten another shot at rg .
In Duke game after rg and rt wiffed on first play, Will went in right away. (Qb injured)
The boss is not always right.

Well, I really see your point, but Hansen ended up as the starter at RG. I’m sure if Bryan had done better, he would have played more.

That’s all I know — it’s simple observation from watching the games.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well, I really see your point, but Hansen ended up as the starter at RG. I’m sure if Bryan had done better, he would have played more.

That’s all I know — it’s simple observation from watching the games.

Will is bigger, faster, stronger. I’ve seen him play at a level above CH. And I’m not hating on CH at all, he has a very high ceiling and is playing well.

At best he is equal to WB (I don’t think so yet but trying to play devil’s advocate). Let’s argue the coaches think he brings something WB doesn’t to get the nod starting. Ok, I get that. But why aren’t they spilitting any time? They should be keeping each other fresh. But WB has barely gotten in the last several games at RG.

This just doesn’t and hasn’t made any sense to me. Initially I thought it was WB quad injury lingering. But all accounts I’ve heard is he has been healthy for weeks. I just don’t get it.

For the record I usually take a very similar stand as @GTRambler in second guessing coaches personnel decisions and I give a good bit of hell to the backup QB fanboys.

This is different though to me. I’ve seen what Will brings for four solid years. I can’t be convinced he’s not our 2nd best OL and very close to PB...arguably his versatility may make him better overall and his movement between positions has almost certainly impeded his potential at OG.

I’m starting to digress now but this whole situation has finally gotten me on the anti Sewak bandwagon. WB should without doubt be getting significant reps in games imo.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We didn't have a choice to "keep" PJ. He quit.
We did have a choice to keep the direction of the program and chose a different direction. That was @65Jacket's point ... and that is an extremely significant point and will remain so for the next few years. If we're lucky, CGC will be a big winner at GT and this point will go away. If not, it will remain the most significant point for possibly decades.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That’s pretty wild speculation. I think Pro QB coach is about an even move to College OC. I’d be surprised to see him move to a position coaching position.

Also, I’m not sure of Godsey’s recruiting reputation, and coaches that‘s a big emphasis for Collins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was more of a sarcastic post lol

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Next year would have been an excellent season if we had hired Modkin, or kept CPJ. Too bad.

I think Monken is probably a better overall coach at this time than any coach in CPJ's tree and that includes CPJ. He's in my top 10 coaches of all of college football at the moment.

Here's my question: Would Monken even be interested in GT? Lot of disappointment that we didn't pursue Monken, but that assumes Monken would have come to GT if we had offered.

**BTW, if CGC fails miserably, I have a good feeling Monken would be available in 2-3 years. He can ride back to GA and save GT like he did with GA Southern.**

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We did have a choice to keep the direction of the program and chose a different direction. That was @65Jacket's point ... and that is an extremely significant point and will remain so for the next few years. If we're lucky, CGC will be a big winner at GT and this point will go away. If not, it will remain the most significant point for possibly decades.

All he has to do is post an almost winning record against FBS teams to hold serve with our current direction.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Did we have the choice? LOT of assumptions in that statement.

Milwaukee

Banned

I think Monken would've been fun to watch. But the attitude that Tech is now going to be boring and do what every other team does is beat to death already. What did you guys do before Paul came to Atlanta? Did you just not like football?

Paul is gone and Todd didn't hire Jeff for whatver reason. Are we going to hear about this from the same 8 people every day for the next 10 years? I'm sad that Paul decided to quit Georgia Tech and I love the TO, but let's just enjoy this game today and then move tf on for everyone's benefit.

Milwaukee

Banned
I think Monken is probably a better overall coach at this time than any coach in CPJ's tree and that includes CPJ. He's in my top 10 coaches of all of college football at the moment.

Here's my question: Would Monken even be interested in GT? Lot of disappointment that we didn't pursue Monken, but that assumes Monken would have come to GT if we had offered.

**BTW, if CGC fails miserably, I have a good feeling Monken would be available in 2-3 years. He can ride back to GA and save GT like he did with GA Southern.**

This isn't directed at you but I want to piggyback. Everyone here assuming that if Collins doesn't win a natty then Monken definitely would have is the dumbest thing I keep seeing. I like Monken but we don't know if he was just gonna slide in here and start winning trophies, we'll never know. But if you really want to see annoying just wait til Collins loses a game and the option crowd starts blowing up the threads, its gonna be nuts. People need to get their head on straight and get out of their feelings.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
This isn't directed at you but I want to piggyback. Everyone here assuming that if Collins doesn't win a natty then Monken definitely would have is the dumbest thing I keep seeing. I like Monken but we don't know if he was just gonna slide in here and start winning trophies, we'll never know. But if you really want to see annoying just wait til Collins loses a game and the option crowd starts blowing up the threads, its gonna be nuts. People need to get their head on straight and get out of their feelings.
I think Coach Monken could be a candidate for the Virginia Tech head coaching job when Justin Fuente gets canned in the next season or two:cigar: