How Good Was Coach Johnson at Tech?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is not the answer some want to hear, but money wouldn't have made a ton of difference in recruiting. CPJ was not looking for typical 4 and 5 star guys at some positions anyway (OL) where a completely different body type and skill set was needed. We could have doubled our budget, and we still would have been fighting the "can't get in the NFL" perception. You think if we had more staff, DL and LBs were suddenly going to stop believing the "you'll get cut blocked" message their hs coaches and the recruiters from Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina kept pumping at them?

This answer may not be what some want to hear but.....

When we have a recruiting staff of two and our competitors have quadruple or more than 10 times the same number.....We won’t be able to find the best recruits for whatever system we are running regardless of what form of negative recruiting we face.

It’s really so simple I can’t understand opposition to it. Maybe the thinking is Collins is so good he doesn’t need a recruiting staff at all. We can just save that money for a rainy day.

Scubapro

Banned
This is not the answer some want to hear, but money wouldn't have made a ton of difference in recruiting. CPJ was not looking for typical 4 and 5 star guys at some positions anyway (OL) where a completely different body type and skill set was needed. We could have doubled our budget, and we still would have been fighting the "can't get in the NFL" perception. You think if we had more staff, DL and LBs were suddenly going to stop believing the "you'll get cut blocked" message their hs coaches and the recruiters from Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina kept pumping at them?

It doesn't really matter...the press will clobber Tech no matter the scheme or coach and force a negative perception to further hurt recruiting.
Before Paul the press and local media pushed the narrative that no one wanted to face the academic rigors at Tech and live in a 'dangerous' downtown.
With PJ they pushed that he was the biggest a hole since Stalin and that he refused to recruit highly regarded players bc they didn't fit his scheme and the academic side was now just a crutch for his mediocrity. Listen to the last of his presser...that sums up his relation with the media and how they painted him.
I will miss him but now to move on with Coach Collins and Go Jackets!!!
BTW...Chan F-ing Gailey says he pulls for Jawja over Tech....I doubt you will ever hear PJ say that.

The personality of the fanbase and members of GTSwarm will not change.

The people who discuss reasonably with rightly used data will not become emotional whiners who state their baseless opinions as facts.

The emotional whiners who complain that rational discussion in support of a differing view is simply making excuses will not become thoughtful.

Hopefully, CGC will be successful and unite the fanbase, apart from the emotional whiners who will take it as opportunity to still troll the others.

No trolling

I have fair questions

Assuming that everything you wrote above is true

Please explain how all those that you described that "discussed reasonably" and "rightly used data", and didn't become "emotional whiners", explain how all those folks that did everything correct according to you, how could they not see the slow, steady erosion of P5 talent in GT's FB program that led to yesterday's embarrassing loss to Minn, along with losses to Duke, Pitt, & USF

How could all this rightly used data be so wrong?

The rightly used data told us that we should send our coach out with a blowout win, yet we crapped the bed on Nat'l TV and were blown out by the 9th seed from the slow, plodding Big10

We made them look like Clemson or UGA, how could the "reasonable discussion guys" not see that coming

IMO, the truth is is that all that FEI data crap, means less than nothing when you're playing Big-Boy CFB, you recruit like hell, you motivate like hell, and you game plan like hell for that week's opponent and hope that all 3 come together when the Ref blows his whistle on game day

It ain't Rocket Surgery or Brain Science, it's CFB

Here is a sincere question: what else would you have me and the "option crowd" do? I mean that sincerely. If there is anything else that you would like to see from any of us who share these sentiments, I want to know. I have blind spots, I don't know everything, and can grow in wisdom from your constructive criticism of me. Any requests, please don't hesitate to make them.

My only requests are:
1. Have sympathy for me in not being able to quickly leave the option and CPJ-tree thoughts behind.
2. Don't compliment CGC and his tenure at the expense of the CPJ tenure.
3. Don't act like the option is some lesser form of football.
There may be more that I think of as we go, and I'll share them with you if you want to hear them.

Sorry for the long post - this is some pent up stuff. Thanks for listening. Go Jackets!

My main Question for you is why do you feel so strongly that the 3O is GT FB's saving grace and that the 3O is the only way for GT FB to ever compete at the P5 Level?

In the last 40-50 years CFB has seen scholly limits go from 105(?) per D1-A team down to 85 and that was intended to help level the playing field and spread the Talent around, so why does GT FB only have ONE saving grace, only ONE strategy, that being your precious 3O

I have theories that I'll keep to myself, but I'd like to hear yours

Thanks in advance

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

When we have a recruiting staff of two and our competitors have quadruple or more than 10 times the same number.....We won’t be able to find the best recruits for whatever system we are running regardless of what form of negative recruiting we face.

It’s really so simple I can’t understand opposition to it. Maybe the thinking is Collins is so good he doesn’t need a recruiting staff at all. We can just save that money for a rainy day.
I'm under the assumption Collins will get those things. If the money and staff improvememts weren't there, why hire him? Monken would have been a better answer if we're going to keep going bargain basement. Do I expect us to spend Clemson money? Of course not. Maybe we can get closer to what Duke puts in it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Arguing otherwise is nonsensical. If Collins proves to be 1000X better at recruiting than CPJ, he’d still benefit from an increased recruiting staff no?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sorry for the double/ triple posts. Glitchy phone today.

I'm under the assumption Collins will get those things. If the money and staff improvememts weren't there, why hire him? Monken would have been a better answer if we're going to keep going bargain basement. Do I expect us to spend Clemson money? Of course not. Maybe we can get closer to what Duke puts in it.

You made one point then argued that same point here. So....okay.

Animal02

Banned

Arguing otherwise is nonsensical. If Collins proves to be 1000X better at recruiting than CPJ, he’d still benefit from an increased recruiting staff no?
Fact: GT is much more highly regarded education wise outside the southeast. With staff to recruit outside the southeast, Tech can find those needles in a haystack that
1) Have the academic skills to get admitted
2) Have the drive academically to make it at Tech.
3) Want to major in a degree offered by Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My main Question for you is why do you feel so strongly that the 3O is GT FB's saving grace and that the 3O is the only way for GT FB to ever compete at the P5 Level?

In the last 40-50 years CFB has seen scholly limits go from 105(?) per D1-A team down to 85 and that was intended to help level the playing field and spread the Talent around, so why does GT FB only have ONE saving grace, only ONE strategy, that being your precious 3O

I have theories that I'll keep to myself, but I'd like to hear yours

Thanks in advance

Yeah I think it’s clear you actually are a troll. I’ll play along though. The 3-O isn’t the only scheme that can, has, and will work at Tech.

The 3-O has worked at a very high level recently. 2014 was not during the Dodd era. Neither was 2009. Worked well other years too. So like other schemes it is tested and proven here. And if Monken had gotten the job (not that he was considered) he might have actually taken it to an even higher level...because of energy...and youth. (Edit: oh yeah...and because...shotgun)

Nothing you say can disprove these truths. None of your opinions outweigh countering ones.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I think it’s clear you actually are a troll. I’ll play along though. The 3-O isn’t the only scheme that can, has, and will work at Tech.

The 3-O has worked at a very high level recently. 2014 was not during the Dodd era. Neither was 2009. Worked well other years too. So like other schemes it is tested and proven here. And if Monken had gotten the job (not that he was considered) he might have actually taken it to an even higher level...because of energy...and youth. (Edit: oh yeah...and because...shotgun)

Nothing you say can disprove these truths. None of your opinions outweigh countering ones.
If he's a troll, you and the Monken option crowd are the troll feeders. Monken's not our coach. I can understand showing gratitude and respect for CPJ, but pining after another coach instead of getting on board with the new hire is equally divisive and trollish. And disrespectful of CGC.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If he's a troll, you and the Monken option crowd are the troll feeders. Monken's not our coach. I can understand showing gratitude and respect for CPJ, but pining after another coach instead of getting on board with the new hire is equally divisive and trollish. And disrespectful of CGC.

I think you are having trouble following the discussion. It was about scheme. I used Monken as an example of another coach using it who could also succeed here.

I’ve never said anything negative about CGC and I’m on record saying he might take us to new heights. Go back to arguing against yourself. It’s more entertaining.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Really no point in taking digs at CPJ or wishing CPJ stayed. There's no fruit to be picked off either tree. CPJ decided to leave on his own terms. CGC is now our coach.

Let's all turn the page and get ready for a new chapter.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Really no point in taking digs at CPJ or wishing CPJ stayed. There's no fruit to be picked off either tree. CPJ decided to leave on his own terms. CGC is now our coach.

Let's all turn the page and get ready for a new chapter.

Glad to see Madison liked this post. He can’t stop talking about the prior coach. Bring up any scheme 3-O or not and he will talk about the last coach at Tech. ;)

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
how good was johnson as coach? i guess it depends on where you draw the line as to a coach's responsibility.

in the 11 years ive known him. he hasnt cheated on recruiting. he has enforced all the team rules fairly and firmly. he took a train wreck of an apr and put gt in the top 10 apr wise i believe.... with the curriculum we have no less. we won a championship. we won division titles. we finished in the top 10. we were the no 4 program in the acc over 11 years while being at the bottom spending wise.

our new coach will be hard pressed to improve on cpj's record as noted above. so i guess my answer would be...

he was a GREAT coach.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
how good was johnson as coach? i guess it depends on where you draw the line as to a coach's responsibility.

in the 11 years ive known him. he hasnt cheated on recruiting. he has enforced all the team rules fairly and firmly. he took a train wreck of an apr and put gt in the top 10 apr wise i believe.... with the curriculum we have no less. we won a championship. we won division titles. we finished in the top 10. we were the no 4 program in the acc over 11 years while being at the bottom spending wise.

our new coach will be hard pressed to improve on cpj's record as noted above. so i guess my answer would be...

he was a GREAT coach.
I agree with your points, particularly the part you bolded. In a strange twist, I would actually be worried if we are consistently winning, i.e. a C (0.7) or higher record, in this "modern era" of college football. Logically, we should not be. We're not running what is essentially a 2-4 year NFL prep school on the side; we have a relatively low budget; we have limited curriculum that does not correlate with pro athletes; we focus our mission on delivering higher education and research first and foremost. If people want to focus only on football, there's some other universities out there with "an NFL prep school" or the NFL itself that may cater more towards your interest...