How does Army do this?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was reading an article this morning about how Army and BYU are sweating a bowl bid because they have no conference tie-in. The article mentioned that in September Army took Oklahoma to overtime. I haven't seen the Sooners in some time, but from what I can tell, they are only about a half step below Clem and Bama. How is that possible? With military school recruiting, playing to a tie in regulation with Oklahoma?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I was reading an article this morning about how Army and BYU are sweating a bowl bid because they have no conference tie-in. The article mentioned that in September Army took Oklahoma to overtime. I haven't seen the Sooners in some time, but from what I can tell, they are only about a half step below Clem and Bama. How is that possible? With military school recruiting, playing to a tie in regulation with Oklahoma?
By executing and not missing assignments ;)
Helps that their defense is not in the bottom 100 of FEI as well.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Extreme discipline

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Good coaching and the PJ system, that is what I believe. With that said, OK has an offense that might be just a notch below those teams (or maybe equal to those teams), but their defense is very, very poor. Monken has done an unbelievable job turning Army around - they went from being consistently the worst Academy FB program to the best very, very quickly.

Animal02

Banned
And there are many posters here who would want nothing to do with Monken.
I think he would be a perfect fit.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
And there are many posters here who would want nothing to do with Monken.
I think he would be a perfect fit.

I do too, Animal, but the guys on here who don't like option football, please realize this is just my opinion. My opinion will not change. I know that yours will not as well.

If I was TStan, I would want a person that could provide me a vision of staying with our base system that continues to give us a chance against bigger and faster athletes, but Monken (or other) would show in detail how he intended to put wrinkles into the offense that will make us a more attractive choice to QBs and WR's who want more passing in the mix. He would also need to communicate how we go about getting the defensive recruiting improved at the same time, because although I think this offense gives us hope, I realize it makes recruiting on both sides of the ball even harder for a school that already has an unhill battle.

Last edited:

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
We could do so much worse than hiring Jeff Monken. The man is an amazing coach. To be honest, PJs best years at Tech were when Jeff was coaching QBs and bbacks.

I do not understand why some are so adamantly opposes to the option. It’s beautiful when executed well. It includes passing. The national football folks I respect the most love the option. The most exciting offenses in college football involve some form of option. For real, what gives?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you haven't seen the Sooners in some time, they make our defense look good.

Not sure I would go that far. Although their O is great, it scores so fast that their D has to see MANY more possessions that GT usually had to see. Their D is bad, but if GT had those players, and they only saw the field for maybe 50-60 plays a game, they would do at least as well as our guys, and probably better. (assuming good coaching from NW)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We could do so much worse than hiring Jeff Monken. The man is an amazing coach. To be honest, PJs best years at Tech were when Jeff was coaching QBs and bbacks.

I do not understand why some are so adamantly opposes to the option. It’s beautiful when executed well. It includes passing. The national football folks I respect the most love the option. The most exciting offenses in college football involve some form of option. For real, what gives?
Wrong coach =)
Bohannon was the QB/BB coach.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

Army held the ball for 44 minutes. Let that sink in.

I don't think I ever sweated an OU game that hard.

Check out some Army possessions: 16 play drive, TD. 16 play drive, TD. 19 play drive, TD. 17 play drive, INT.

They played keep away and Death Marched OU almost to a loss.

The OU fans gave Army a standing ovation at the end of the game. Classy.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
it scores so fast that their D has to see MANY more possessions that GT usually had to see.
Their defense is bad in FEI, which is *per possession* not total.
Oklahoma gave up a touchdown on 36% of drives against them. That ranks 110.
In points per play, Oklahoma gave up 0.427. That ranks 83.

Their defense isn't bad because they have a lot of drives, they are bad because they over a third of the drives against them end up in the endzone.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
My opinion is that they are good because they run the 3O very well and Monken gets input from CPJ.

I also think CPJ would tell Monken to stay away from the GT job.