How does Army do this?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Low scoring game. Defense still trash.
don't argue it's not. Really don't know. But it begs the question, if defense is lousy, it held Army to one score less than the offense, and that is the job of a defense. Their lousy defense had nothing to do with that score.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Low scoring game. Defense still trash.
Army had 21 points on 7 drives. 3 points per drive given up by OU is bad.

Army had the ball with 40 seconds in the second quarter. I am not counting that because I generally don't count drives with 1:30 or less. If we count that drive it is 21 points in 8 drives, which is also bad.

A low scoring game when a team scores a touch down on 3 of 7 or 3 of 8 of its drives is *very* bad. A 33% touch down rate is good enough to be ranked 98th.

My one hope is people stop looking at total score and start looking at either points per play or points per drive. Oklahoma should not consider giving up 21 points to Army in 7 or 8 drives to be anything but horrendous.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the option HAS TO be a part of the next offense we run.

Just because CPJ ran a "pure" option offense doesn't mean there aren't other offenses out there that run less option, but can do just as well. I mean look at the OFEI rankings:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

Too many act as if CPJ's results can't be replicated with another offense. Anyone want to call UCF, Ohio, Buffalo, Washington State, UL-L, Utah State, Fresno State a factory? You know, there are MANY offenses between CPJ's pure option offense and the Air Raid. A lot of them are just as effective as CPJ's offense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Army held the ball for 44 minutes. Let that sink in.

I don't think I ever sweated an OU game that hard.

Check out some Army possessions: 16 play drive, TD. 16 play drive, TD. 19 play drive, TD. 17 play drive, INT.

They played keep away and Death Marched OU almost to a loss.

The OU fans gave Army a standing ovation at the end of the game. Classy.

Didn’t know that about the standing O. How many fanbases have that kind of class? I’m gonna have to start watching and pulling for OU some now.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Too many act as if CPJ's results can't be replicated with another offense. Anyone want to call UCF, Ohio, Buffalo, Washington State, UL-L, Utah State, Fresno State a factory? You know, there are MANY offenses between CPJ's pure option offense and the Air Raid. A lot of them are just as effective as CPJ's offense.

Yes. And they’re all option offenses. People who want us to abandon the option must think we’d be Clemson or Bama if we just ran their style of offense. Folks, we will never compete on a regular basis for the athletes Clemson and Bama get every year. Never. Remember Justin Thomas, how they used to bring up again and again that OMG he had an offer from Bama? That was one guy. The best player on our team. A guy like Calvin Johnson is a once in a generation player. Bama and Clemson get that guy every year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT's best offenses always had option components. CPJ's and Friedgens. The option levels the playing field.

That said, it doesn't mean the option has to be a dominant part of the offense like CPJ's. It could easily just be a complementary component like Friedgen's offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
People also need to realize QNs don't mind running the option. They just don't want to do it 90% of the time.
In a normal passing play u have options ( progressive reads) that the qb makes.

Maybe we could call our next offense the run or pass option - damn I think some body already thought of that.

I would have loved to have seen our offense run where a really skilled qb checks down to various receivers instead of the one predetermined before the snap. Aka byerly

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In a normal passing play u have options ( progressive reads) that the qb makes.

Maybe we could call our next offense the run or pass option - damn I think some body already thought of that.

I would have loved to have seen our offense run where a really skilled qb checks down to various receivers instead of the one predetermined before the snap. Aka byerly

I hear ya.

I've said repeatedly that CPJ had the tools in his playbook to completely change the narrative of his system, but chose not to.

One day an enterprising coach will make it happen and that coach and his system will be the new "spread" or "RPO" type impact on football.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Army had 21 points on 7 drives. 3 points per drive given up by OU is bad.

Army had the ball with 40 seconds in the second quarter. I am not counting that because I generally don't count drives with 1:30 or less. If we count that drive it is 21 points in 8 drives, which is also bad.

A low scoring game when a team scores a touch down on 3 of 7 or 3 of 8 of its drives is *very* bad. A 33% touch down rate is good enough to be ranked 98th.

My one hope is people stop looking at total score and start looking at either points per play or points per drive. Oklahoma should not consider giving up 21 points to Army in 7 or 8 drives to be anything but horrendous.
Well, there is this: 4th quarter, 21-21, Army drives 65 yards in 17 plays before being forced to throw .. a pick. Okla. wins in OT. That point total is not unusual with Johnson's offense, one that has demonstrated production. I admit to not being a data guy -- analytics leave me with a chill to the core; I shiver and change channels -- and all I want to know is the score when the whistle ends the game. How many drives it took, how many plays it took, I don't care. That's the problem with doppler radar and computers: we get all kinds of "information" and then go out and seek a use for it. I don't mean to dismiss those who love the stuff. I just don't.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
and all I want to know is the score when the whistle ends the game
Yes, that determines who wins, which I agree is the most important stat of any game.

The rest of the stats determine how well you performed. 21 points in 7/8 drives is a good performance by Army, and a bad showing for OU defense. I wasn't trying to justify Army should have won, and the fact the Oklahoma intercepted them on a critical drive indicates you can even give them credit for the win. Oklahoma still performed poorly over the course of the entire game until making the most important play.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We could do so much worse than hiring Jeff Monken. The man is an amazing coach. To be honest, PJs best years at Tech were when Jeff was coaching QBs and bbacks.

I do not understand why some are so adamantly opposes to the option. It’s beautiful when executed well. It includes passing. The national football folks I respect the most love the option. The most exciting offenses in college football involve some form of option. For real, what gives?
I agree. If we had half the talent of any of the top ten teams, we would have been in the playoffs this year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, that determines who wins, which I agree is the most important stat of any game.

The rest of the stats determine how well you performed. 21 points in 7/8 drives is a good performance by Army, and a bad showing for OU defense. I wasn't trying to justify Army should have won, and the fact the Oklahoma intercepted them on a critical drive indicates you can even give them credit for the win. Oklahoma still performed poorly over the course of the entire game until making the most important play.
Well, then consider this among the stats, and I am not a big time of possession fan (I am haunted by long, grinding drives that consumed time and resulted in a score, only to have the opposition go the length of the field in about three minutes) but: OSU's defense was on the field 44 minutes and gave up 21 points. I really don't follow the football scene as much as I follow GT football, but I think that represents a decent OSU defense, against Army anyway. OSU almost lost because its offense couldn't get on the field, just 16 minutes.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Well, then consider this among the stats, and I am not a big time of possession fan (I am haunted by long, grinding drives that consumed time and resulted in a score, only to have the opposition go the length of the field in about three minutes) but: OSU's defense was on the field 44 minutes and gave up 21 points. I really don't follow the football scene as much as I follow GT football, but I think that represents a decent OSU defense, against Army anyway. OSU almost lost because its offense couldn't get on the field, just 16 minutes.
I would say it’s the opposite since those 44 minutes were all in 8 drives.

The army offense ability to keep Oklahoma off the field was the reason they kept it close.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
For all those that grew to hate the option, I suspect I am weirdly going to go out of my way to keep an eye on KSU, Army, and Navy games in the years to come. I am not married to the offense and am fine if we go away from it, but I will definitely miss watching it as well. Honestly helped me become a much better student of the game than I was before CPJ got here when I used to just sort of "watch the ball."
This is to me the crux of why some people dislike his scheme so much. IF you don't understand the reads, and the sets he runs then it looks like disorganized chaos. I truly believe a percentage of the people who dislike what he ran would change their minds if they had a better understanding of the game he plays.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Army’s victories this year are over Fordham, Liberty, Hawaii, San Jose State, Miami of Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Air Force, Lafayette and Colgate. That is how they do it. Some people on here act like they have beaten Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Georgia.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Army’s victories this year are over Fordham, Liberty, Hawaii, San Jose State, Miami of Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Air Force, Lafayette and Colgate. That is how they do it. Some people on here act like they have beaten Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Georgia.
And some people on here act like Army should be playing Alabama Clemson, Notre Dame and Georgia.