How do we fix this nightmare....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I might as well add another reply. I saw a reply that caught my interest. Yes, we have had some offensive problems. It is obvious we are not doing as well with the offense now as we did in CPJ's first couple of years. However, the poster who claims the defense is our biggest problem is correct. We still cannot get the other team off the field in critical situations in a game, and it has nothing to do with out material, but more to do with our defensive schemes. All the opposition has to do is forget about the ground game and start passing against us. We fold our hand when the opposition opens up with the passing game. It has been that way with all the defensive coaches we have endured at Tech in the recent past.

Many claim we do not have the defensive backs to stay with the receivers and must give them a good cushion. I say that is not correct. We just fail to change our systems during the game to confuse the offense, and we are consistent in letting other teams stay on the field by giving them cushions on 3rd and long. Also, our open field tackling is sorely missing which is completely a byproduct of poor defensive coaching.

Instead of the Option keeping us in the game by utilizing the time element, the opposition is using the 3rd and long completions to utilize the time element against us. I hear often, "Our defense wears out because they have been on the field too long. Hasn't it occurred to most that if they stopped the opposition with three-and-outs, they would not be on the field for long periods. The 3rd and long is the killer for us. Often, we stop the 3rd and short, but cannot stop the 3rd and long because of the horrible cushions we give the receivers on 3rd and long.

Animal02

Banned
I see your point here however I think there is a bigger point that you are not considering. IMO we are asking our o-line to do the impossible. We are asking kids to take huge splits and come out of a 3 point stance on 3rd and long and pass block an athletic d-end who is coming off the edge from a sprinters stance. Combine that with linebackers and the more athletic d-linemen shooting the huge gaps due to the splits and it's an impossible situation to pass block effectively. I don't care who the QB is. If you are dropping back with guys in your face from the snap of the ball you will fail. We see this all the time. The penetration into our backfield that we typically see against the better teams is astounding. This offense is designed to run Paul's same 5 or 6 run based plays over and over again to try and take advantage of a numbers game with the defense. At a lower level of football or at a service academy you can succeed doing it and have some small semblance of a passing game. Not at our level when playing the better teams. Our overall lack of talent just makes it a more impossible task to create an effective passing game. The more talented teams we play every year have adjusted to our base offense and can effectively stop it. It's no longer foreign to them the way it was the first couple of years we ran it. I am tired of seeing our linemen dive at ankles trying to block more athletic d-linemen and linebackers who are penetrating the huge gaps created by the wide line splits. We are asking those kids to do the impossible. If Paul would have truly wanted to implement an effective passing offense he would've started by changing the scheme up front but he wont do that. Therefore we get what saw this year. A passing QB being forced to run down the line option plays very awkwardly and then when it came time to throw asking him to do the impossible by bailing us out with his arm while running for his life. I mean when its third and long if we cut the splits down and allowed the line to stay up in a two point stance who cares if it gives away that we are going to throw. It doesn't mean they can stop it if our QB has time to set his feet and throw. Of course this would also require receivers being allowed to run all the routes of a common passing tree but that's another topic all together.

I know I have seen many others post that Vad was a "dual threat" QB in H.S., not just a throwing one.
We could have an effective passing attack if the option is working, since the DB will start cheating on the run.
When the QB is no longer a threat running the ball, the numbers game switches to favoring the D, which is what happened this year.

Animal02

Banned
I completely agree. The only thing I'd add is the pulling Vad part. If he had done that, the haters would just flame away on that. "The worst thing you can do with a young guy with talent who makes a few mistakes is to pull him and kill his self confidence, blah, blah, blah..." Maybe if JT was killing it in practice, but he had his own issues as well. It was a no win situation that could have back fired either way. If CPJ pulls Vad and JT has a little success and gets more time then Vad pouts and tranfers (like he actually did) then the **** really hits the fan from the haters.

Yeah, no doubt CPJ was in a no win situation half way through the season, coming to the realization that your QB doesn't have his heart or head in the game.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
5-6 minus elon and Alabama a&m

FCS is like playing a minor league.

This qb was cherry picked by Paul and was his marquis recruit.

LittleGeorge

Georgia Tech Fan
Saw one post that there is 10% chance PJ gets bought out. Anyone know when we will know something for sure either way?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I might as well add another reply. I saw a reply that caught my interest. Yes, we have had some offensive problems. It is obvious we are not doing as well with the offense now as we did in CPJ's first couple of years. However, the poster who claims the defense is our biggest problem is correct. We still cannot get the other team off the field in critical situations in a game, and it has nothing to do with out material, but more to do with our defensive schemes. All the opposition has to do is forget about the ground game and start passing against us. We fold our hand when the opposition opens up with the passing game. It has been that way with all the defensive coaches we have endured at Tech in the recent past.

Many claim we do not have the defensive backs to stay with the receivers and must give them a good cushion. I say that is not correct. We just fail to change our systems during the game to confuse the offense, and we are consistent in letting other teams stay on the field by giving them cushions on 3rd and long. Also, our open field tackling is sorely missing which is completely a byproduct of poor defensive coaching.

Instead of the Option keeping us in the game by utilizing the time element, the opposition is using the 3rd and long completions to utilize the time element against us. I hear often, "Our defense wears out because they have been on the field too long. Hasn't it occurred to most that if they stopped the opposition with three-and-outs, they would not be on the field for long periods. The 3rd and long is the killer for us. Often, we stop the 3rd and short, but cannot stop the 3rd and long because of the horrible cushions we give the receivers on 3rd and long.

I always get a feeling of dread on 3rd and longs with this team so I know what you're talking about. I'd love someone to crunch some numbers to see if we actually perform worse on those long distances compared to short ones. And how we compare to other teams in those situations too.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the only thing that would positively affect the situation is if a large body of alumni went to the school to express their support for the team and help get our team as many exceptions and resources as it wants. Put the ball squarely in our coach's court, otherwise holding him accountable for the results is a meaningless gesture.

I get that people don't like him, but the simple truth is we've had identical results with our past two coaches despite them having completely different systems, personalities, everything. That tells me that it's bigger than the coach.

As a program we need to maximize the amount of support we are able to give our coaches and student athletes. No recruiting restrictions with an increase in recruiting resources along with improving the resources needed to get better at developing the athletes we do get on campus. As boosters, that's the most we can do for our program to make it successful for whoever we get to coach here.

This is one of the wisest things I've heard. I am not an alumni, I have been what is referred as a 'sidewalk fan', it has been this way since I was 10 years old. My wife and I these past couple of years have become empty nesters and I resumed buying season tickets. I bought 4 tickets instead of just 2 for my wife and I because I wanted to bring people who did not know about the football legacy of Georgia Tech and introduce them to the great experience of collegiate football. I have had success doing this and have added some 15 new sidewalk fans to the Georgia Tech rolls. Some of them are considering buying season tickets and bringing their families. I totally agree with you BainbridgeJacket. The fan base can have a huge positive effect changing the program. Spreading discouragement, vitriol, and trying to build an army of malcontents so the coach will be fired, the schemes be changed, or a different quarterback be inserted (the coaches know best), only harms Georgia Tech football and delights our enemies. 'Ask not what your GTAA can do for you, ask what you can do for your GTAA'. Lay down your 'sense of entitlement', false pride and pitch in and help. We all love Georgia Tech and we all need to help. CPJ is a curmudgeon, so what, so are a lot of you. It's who he is, and I suspect a lot of you don't like him because he reminds you of yourselves.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Vad lee is not his marquee recruit. He's recruited players with higher rankings. That's revisionist history. All the hype about Vad Lee came from fans and CPJ actively spoke out against the hype.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
5-6 minus elon and Alabama a&m

FCS is like playing a minor league.

First off, sorry for my out of line comment yesterday. To be honest, I had a snootful at the time and I, like you, am a passionate fan of the Jackets.

To your current point, I think all teams have an FCS opponent or two on their schedule these days. If you knock our record down because of ours, you have to do it across the board. Even your excellent team in '89 played New Mexico State. You also beat up on a 4 win Duke team, a 3 win Maryland team, a 3 win Clemson team and a 3 win Wake team. The UNC team you beat was mediocre, at best, finishing with 7 wins. To be fair, you beat 4 ranked teams that year including a #7 Uva and a #12 Ugag. My point is not to compare that season to this, as the '98 year was far superior, but you guys played your share of crapper teams, too, 5 to be exact.

Animal02

Banned
This is one of the wisest things I've heard. I am not an alumni, I have been what is referred as a 'sidewalk fan', it has been this way since I was 10 years old. My wife and I these past couple of years have become empty nesters and I resumed buying season tickets. I bought 4 tickets instead of just 2 for my wife and I because I wanted to bring people who did not know about the football legacy of Georgia Tech and introduce them to the great experience of collegiate football. I have had success doing this and have added some 15 new sidewalk fans to the Georgia Tech rolls. Some of them are considering buying season tickets and bringing their families. I totally agree with you BainbridgeJacket. The fan base can have a huge positive effect changing the program. Spreading discouragement, vitriol, and trying to build an army of malcontents so the coach will be fired, the schemes be changed, or a different quarterback be inserted (the coaches know best), only harms Georgia Tech football and delights our enemies. 'Ask not what your GTAA can do for you, ask what you can do for your GTAA'. Lay down your 'sense of entitlement', false pride and pitch in and help. We all love Georgia Tech and we all need to help. CPJ is a curmudgeon, so what, so are a lot of you. It's who he is, and I suspect a lot of you don't like him because he reminds you of yourselves.

It doesn't help seeing all those empty seat at mid field in the lower east stands for much of the first quarter, 4th quarter, bad weather, or marginal opponent.........especially when those are opposite the camera positions.

Animal02

Banned
First off, sorry for my out of line comment yesterday. To be honest, I had a snootful at the time and I, like you, am a passionate fan of the Jackets.

To your current point, I think all teams have an FCS opponent or two on their schedule these days. If you knock our record down because of ours, you have to do it across the board. Even your excellent team in '89 played New Mexico State. You also beat up on a 4 win Duke team, a 3 win Maryland team, a 3 win Clemson team and a 3 win Wake team. The UNC team you beat was mediocre, at best, finishing with 7 wins. To be fair, you beat 4 ranked teams that year including a #7 Uva and a #12 Ugag. My point is not to compare that season to this, as the '98 year was far superior, but you guys played your share of crapper teams, too, 5 to be exact.

But the comeback win over UVA is 3rd all time favorite of Tech games I have attended. :happy:

56JacketDE

GT Athlete

anyway you slice it, we didnt play FCS teams...NMSU was DIV 1
why dont you just embrace the '98 season, its one of two top 10 finishes since dodd left

LibertyTurns

Banned
Maybe we could hire a General Manager for the football program and leave the coaching to CPJ? I mean he hates the PR gig like many coaches, is abrasive in front of the microphone, it appears he's subpar in recruiting, and probably doesn't enjoy many other aspects of being a college football coach like many others. Not sure what the NCAA rules are for staff, but I'd give it a shot. Look at the history of CPJ at GT. We won when we had quasi NFL calibre recruits and then there was a drop off when the arguable talent drain started. Let the man coach and hire someone to deal with all the other crap. Maybe a Director of Player Personnel under the GM as well for the recruiting?

By the way, Texas is fixing to make the same mistake. Charlie Strong is going to have a tough road to hoe at UT as he's not a PR coach and that's what they need/want. He's not cut out for that and would be better for him if his next gig was the NFL.

Animal02

Banned

The FCS games every year are a newer thing for all teams......it is a way to get an extra home game every season which creates additional $$$.
I have said in the past that they should change the (now former) BCS to not count the FCS games toward BCS standings, only count them for bowl eligibility.....which would cause the upper tier teams to stop playing them and open them up to the lower tier......

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
a crappy is a crappy team is a crappy team.

We were super flat in that game. As you know, we were coming off a super emotional OT loss, two actually. It couldn't have been more scripted for a huge let down performance and that's exactly what we got. Do you honestly believe we don't win 9 of 10 meetings with them that year? Btw, the O wasn't lighting it up, but the D really wet the bed in that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.