How did you become a TECH fan?

Squint

Georgia Tech Fan
Yep. There were maybe 3 GT fans in Eastman when I was growing up. All Dawg all the time in that town. Just wondering if Squint had it worse than me.
Got you beat, but I went to Dodge County High as well so same crowd of folks...just a bit later...class of 96.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Got you beat, but I went to Dodge County High as well so same crowd of folks...just a bit later...class of 96.

You're full of it. No way you're from Dodge County - 99% of the people from Dodge County won't even set foot inside 285. Might as well be entering Sodom and Gomorrah or New York City.

Little do they know what their precious Athens has become.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is a perfect off-season thread & I have enjoyed reading the posts. It is obvious that to be a GT fan means that you are a special person. If you are from Georgia you have to be able to stand up to the pressure that is the Bulldwag Express ("What do you mean you don't like the Dwags? You have to because you live in Georgia!"). If you are from another state then you have to somehow find your way to the Gold Side through all the other choices available. I'm glad there are so many of us that like to cheer on the White & Gold and look forward to our ranks growing in the years to come.

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm forty years old and have been a tech fan my whole life. I grew up in Inman park went to Grady high school and my family, on both sides, is "old Atlanta". My great grandfather played for Coach Heisman, at some point even though from the time frame my grandfather told me, it seems he would have been too old for college ball. I'm guessing rules were different then. My grandfather and

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm forty years old and have been a tech fan my whole life. I grew up in Inman park went to Grady high school and my family, on both sides, is "old Atlanta". My great grandfather played for Coach Heisman, at some point even though from the time frame my grandfather told me, it seems he would have been too old for college ball. I'm guessing rules were different then. My grandfather and
Hit wrong button!
My grandfather grew up on north Ave.
My mother's boyfriend, growing up, always had season tickets, but wouldn't go whenever it was raining. So, my first game at grant field was in 1984? Vs. Tennessee. If my memory serves me correctly, we won 17-14, in a driving rain, the pk for Tennessee slipped in the mud and fell straight on his back! I was ten. I always went to mud bowls growing up.
I went into the army after high school, I was ready for college, and it was a rebellion from growing up in Inman park( hippies). I tried to get into tech, I had a 3.0 gpa in hs, but got 27 on act. Even had a great letter of recommendation from Dr Bill Sayle, he was dean of electrical engineering at the time, and was married to my mother's best friend. Also, went to plenty of games with them( they only had girls and had season tickets to everything).
Well ended up going to Alabama. I was and still am disgusted with their fans, after going to tech games my whole life. Actually all sec teams fans are terrible, maybe vandy is ok. LSU and Tennessee are the worst imo. They all wanted to fight if they won or lost. I also never liked the fact that the football players barely seemed literate, much less college material. I always wore my tech garb around campus. I've always loved Atlanta and tech was the home team. Go Jackets!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
LSU is one of the worst. A friend played db for Miss State in the early 70's and said they wouldn't sit on the bench because some fans would throw whiskey bottles so they wanted to be as far away as possible. I still remember climbing up the old railroad trestle in Athens to watch the Tech-mutt game in 78? only to see a huge drunk guy in UGA colors farther up heave a 1 gallon container of potato salad? over my head while screaming anti-Tech obscenities. I turned to see it miss a very elderly couple of Tech supporters by inches. It could have put them in the hospital and no one said crap to the guy. All I could think of was what a bunch of ....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
grew up in Atlanta watching GT Basketball. Started Freshman year in 2004 and went to watch the boys play in San Antonio, graduated in 2007 and have been a proponent of pushing for and interviewing and hiring as many GT people as we can get!

#GoJackets
Get thee to Huntsville. A GT graduate but a friend of mine regardless says the joint is stacked with 'em.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was too damn smart to be anything else!!

Seriously though, my father graduated from Tech in the late 50's and I grew up listening to GT football on the radio. My first memory was GT vs #1 Notre Dame in a 3 to 3 tie.
I was at that game. What a memory.

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
LSU is one of the worst. A friend played db for Miss State in the early 70's and said they wouldn't sit on the bench because some fans would throw whiskey bottles so they wanted to be as far away as possible. I still remember climbing up the old railroad trestle in Athens to watch the Tech-mutt game in 78? only to see a huge drunk guy in UGA colors farther up heave a 1 gallon container of potato salad? over my head while screaming anti-Tech obscenities. I turned to see it miss a very elderly couple of Tech supporters by inches. It could have put them in the hospital and no one said crap to the guy. All I could think of was what a bunch of ....

Thats a lot of potato salad!
The only time I went to a game in Athens, it wasn't vs. tech, but once again Tennessee. It was 2003? I was just back from Afghanistan, as a first lieutenant, with my special forces unit. Athens was scarier than Kandahar! I remember telling several drunk fans from both teams, they might not want to mess with me. When they focused their eyes they thought better. It was still uneasy though, there were "gangs". I remember wondering what kinda morons would get into a brawl over a game. I'm Not sure if most of the trouble isn't caused by fans who never saw a college classroom.

Techfan14

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm 27 and live in a small town about 30 miles from Thomson and Augusta filled with Uga fans. My daddy had season tickets from 87-2000. I have been going to Bobby Dodd since I was 9 months old and still do to this day. I have two children, one girl who went to he first game this last season and a boy who has Dodd as his middle name. Needless to say I'm already teaching them right from wrong. Go jackets!!! To hell with Georgia!!! Fondest memories when I was little was the joe Hamilton days so I wore #14 proudly in high school.

I'm 27 and live in a small town about 30 miles from Thomson and Augusta filled with Uga fans. My daddy had season tickets from 87-2000. I have been going to Bobby Dodd since I was 9 months old and still do to this day. I have two children, one girl who went to he first game this last season and a boy who has Dodd as his middle name. Needless to say I'm already teaching them right from wrong. Go jackets!!! To hell with Georgia!!! Fondest memories when I was little was the joe Hamilton days so I wore #14 proudly in high school.
With you living that close to Augusta, it would be great to meet you sometime. There are two of us from down here who tailgate together in the Fall and stay in touch the rest of the year. And there are also quite a few other Tech fans in the Augusta area who COULD form a nucleus of a very representative Tech "club" here, if somebody would just take charge. At any rate, we CSRA Tech fans need to stick together.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I, myself, like @Yoda come from the same town where a GT fan sighting over the past few years has been as rare as a Bigfoot sighting. Living as close to the Cesspool as we do and pulling for the jackets has grown to be a part of life.

My first memory of anything involving GT was the 1987 Baseball ACC championship in Greenville,SC.
The "Joltin Jackets" with Ricardo Ingram were a fun team to watch.

From Growing up with my grandparents and other relatives being Die Hard dwag fans, I decided to take a different path and pull for the "other" GA team.
I really started paying more attn. to the team from Atl after the baseball tourney I saw them play in.
Soon after I started watching GT football and have been hooked ever since to anything GT.

I have enjoyed reading these stories. It makes me see that no matter where we are in the state or country, we all share a huge common denominator.

By meeting several people at varied GT activities, I have found the fan base to be closer to a family than just people who attend games.

The fan base is very tight knit seem to be more appreciative and really love telling you stories of their favorite moments.

With my business, I have a lot of GT customers/business owners and spend a lot of time listening to the older Alums and letting them reminisce.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've told this story many times, but I'll tell it one more. My first Georgia Tech football game was September 30, 1961, Georgia Tech vs Rice. Rice was ranked #7 and Tech was the underdog being unranked. My Uncle Jimmy was a Junior at Tech, I was 10, and he took me to the game. Grant Field was packed, standing room only. In 1961 Georgia Tech was the premier sports event in the state (UGA was just an after thought back then). The game was a surreal experience forthe a young lad of 10. We sat in the North Endzone bleachers and it was a beautiful autumn afternoon. The 'Ramblin Wreck' made it's debut that day. Georgia Tech dominated Rice and I fell in love with the White and Gold..............

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...Rice-Owls_Grant-Field_American-football-match

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've enjoyed reading everyone's accounting of his fandom. My attachment to Tech. is that it was my birthright. My great uncle influenced my dad to attend and letter in baseball at Tech after WWII. He also worked in the GTAA and started a friendship with Coach Dodd that lasted forever. The first people my siblings and I met at Tech. were his baseball coaches, Pittard and Hyder.

I've told this story many times, but I'll tell it one more. My first Georgia Tech football game was September 30, 1961, Georgia Tech vs Rice. Rice was ranked #7 and Tech was the underdog being unranked. My Uncle Jimmy was a Junior at Tech, I was 10, and he took me to the game. Grant Field was packed, standing room only. In 1961 Georgia Tech was the premier sports event in the state (UGA was just an after thought back then). The game was a surreal experience forthe a young lad of 10. We sat in the North Endzone bleachers and it was a beautiful autumn afternoon. The 'Ramblin Wreck' made it's debut that day. Georgia Tech dominated Rice and I fell in love with the White and Gold..............

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...Rice-Owls_Grant-Field_American-football-match
The announcer sounded like he was saying "Cann," instead of "Gann." It was cool seeing Lotheridge in there before he made it HIS team in later on.