Hot seat

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Dodd even admitted he would have a hard time beating Bama, because he good not get the players admitted that Bama could (at least in his book he did)
Bunch of folks had problems beating Bama but go back and look at the scores.....tech was very competive vs Bama even in years they won the NC.No doubt Bear got what he wanted and it was so much easier to cheat back then but Ole Grey Fox would hold his own.Both Bear and Dodd had so much in common.Good defense,sound kicking game and both would change offenses at the tipof a hat.Folks forget Dodd helped Bear put in the T and Bear for a few years ran the wishbone until folks figured it out.Dodd started with the belly and then started men in motion and unbalanced lines etc.Both are giants but yes you are right easy to find playes for Bama vs Tech.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't just Tech, but the other schools I mentioned......Army and Navy offered not just an education, but a career.
No doubt about the service academies.....when you went there you had a six yr obligation to the service.Remember Pete Dawkins,Roger the Dodger,Joe Bellini(yeah missed his name) and Mr Inside and Outside etc.....it is still hard to figure out how they got those players year in and out during forties and early fifties.

Animal02

Banned
No doubt about the service academies.....when you went there you had a six yr obligation to the service.Remember Pete Dawkins,Roger the Dodger,Joe Bellini(yeah missed his name) and Mr Inside and Outside etc.....it is still hard to figure out how they got those players year in and out during forties and early fifties.

Because it was a great gig and honorable profession then. Think about it......at that point in time, you got a free education, graduated with (mostly) engineering degrees, guaranteed job after graduation, you were an officer and could retire after (20 ? ) years.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
What was the recruiting trail like in those days? Was GT a 'destination' team because we offered a great future beyond football before the NFL or is that just urban myth?
Now not big authority on this but Tech ruled this state for about eight good years and about 11 out of 15 ....only game in town and bowl games every year.Good chance to get a great education even if you played football.....Hotlanta nightlife and full stadium...Now in the early sixties it sort of changed a bit..The 62 team entired offensive line was drafted by the pros......Stalling,Caldwell,Martin and Davis,Guthrie and Watson and I keep for getting the other tackle along with several defensive backs and Joe Auer...Not sure how many had or finally got degrees but NOT like now.........who cared ? Tech played good football and folks didnt worry about cheapening a degree for football players.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Because it was a great gig and honorable profession then. Think about it......at that point in time, you got a free education, graduated with (mostly) engineering degrees, guaranteed job after graduation, you were an officer and could retire after (20 ? ) years.
Understand did thirty eight years and change with military and it is a honorable profession called by few but still either Coach B knew his folks or like you said it was a good gig..Davis and Blanchard really put the Point on the map.

Animal02

Banned
Understand did thirty eight years and change with military and it is a honorable profession called by few but still either Coach B knew his folks or like you said it was a good gig..Davis and Blanchard really put the Point on the map.

They recruited me to play ball.......but late '70's was not a good time for the military.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
They recruited me to play ball.......but late '70's was not a good time for the military.
Yep been there and done that..........nobody gave us much respect in the seventies.....still though service was honorable and you knew you owed Uncle six or so years...

Animal02

Banned
Yep been there and done that..........nobody gave us much respect in the seventies.....still though service was honorable and you knew you owed Uncle six or so years...

I am pro military too......My dad spent a couple of years in the jungles of New Guinea and a few other pacific islands, and an uncle spent a bit of time flying a B-24 over Europe.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I am pro military too......My dad spent a couple of years in the jungles of New Guinea and a few other pacific islands, and an uncle spent a bit of time flying a B-24 over Europe.
Glad to hear it..all my folks served except my Dad due to kidney problems and we have been in every war the country has entered.Hell we are Scottish Highlanders and we fought the Anglish every chance we got.Always thank your folks for their service...they were no doubt the greatest of the great in my book.Need more like them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you

Also because GT was one of the signature programs in all of football. They were almost on the level of Notre Dame as far as name recognition and football prowess. Modern GT fans forget, but GT was able to have a lot of home games because we had the biggest college stadium in the Southeast. We were also playing teams like Alabama, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. because we were a national level team as well as being in the SEC (Southern Conference then). GT was a big football draw for the entire region much like the Braves were before MLB expanded with teams in the Southeast.

Leaving the SEC changed a lot of things for GT.