Hot seat

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Interesting write up. "Malzahn and Swinney/Morris are running is just a different version of the triple-option!"

I wonder if they really believe this?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I would think if the University of Florida did not change coaches this year then all bets are off on Hot Seat candidates.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
To stay on topic, I would be highly surprised if CPJ isn't here next season.

That being said, I also think the fork is in the road for him.

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting write up. "Malzahn and Swinney/Morris are running is just a different version of the triple-option!"

I wonder if they really believe this?

The point is that we could convert to their systems much easier than a pro-set at this point. The option concepts are similar, and we didn't run a whole lot of triple this year if my memory serves me.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I just don't think his seat is that hot.

/
Exactly. We're angry because we've been extremely average the past few seasons. Also we were very predictable this season which is kind of annoying. We lost every game people thought we had a chance to lose. The institute doesn't expect 10 win seasons every year, they want us to beat teams we're expected to beat and to have the occasional good season to put butts in seats at the stadium. Starting QBs transferring away doesn't phase them either as less than half of every freshman class actually graduates from GT (at least used to be)...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. We're angry because we've been extremely average the past few seasons. Also we were very predictable this season which is kind of annoying. We lost every game people thought we had a chance to lose. The institute doesn't expect 10 win seasons every year, they want us to beat teams we're expected to beat and to have the occasional good season to put butts in seats at the stadium. Starting QBs transferring away doesn't phase them either as less than half of every freshman class actually graduates from GT (at least used to be)...

I don't "expect 10 win seasons every year", but I also expect better than 2 winning seasons out of the last 4 from a guy who is among the 20 highest paid coaches in the country.

There is a big gap between 9 wins each season against FBS teams and averaging less than 6 wins against FBS teams over the last four years as he has done.

But as I have said before, you are either happy with below .500 vs. FBS over the last four years or you aren't. An amazing number of people are OK with spending a LOT of money for subpar results.

However, I believe that his seat isn't hot because he was given a stupid contract and we can't afford to do anything about his poor results.

Animal02

Banned

/
I don't think so either. He has another winning season next year, he will stay around.
People are upset because they believed Vad was going to be the knight in shining armor to lead the team to a BCS bowl after years of complaining about Tevin. They have to point to the coach because their dream QB didn't turn out to be what they expected, despite the HC cautioning about expectations.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think so either. He has another winning season next year, he will stay around.
People are upset because they believed Vad was going to be the knight in shining armor to lead the team to a BCS bowl after years of complaining about Tevin. They have to point to the coach because their dream QB didn't turn out to be what they expected, despite the HC cautioning about expectations.
I agree. CPJ warned us fans before the season that Vad was still learning. I think most of us really thought Vad would be the guy. I truly wish him the best, but I think this will be the best for him and the team. If we win 8-9 games next season CPJ is safe.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

The fallacy of this is the "occasional" good season does not put butts in the seat. The only thing that will do that is to beat UGa more. Very, very few teams will win 10 per season. Having a "winning" record vs ACC teams means little, if nothing, in Georgia.

What is so very sad is The Institute seems oblivious to how valuable a good team is to the entire university. Not smart in the least.

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
But as I have said before, you are either happy with below .500 vs. FBS over the last four years or you aren't. An amazing number of people are OK with spending a LOT of money for subpar results.

I don't think very many posters oin any of the boards are big enough money donors to have any sort of say in whether coach gets fired. The fact is coach is not going anywhere with the buyout he has whether "an amazing number of people" are OK with subpar results or not. If coach has a losing record next season he may get let go in the middle of the year. More then likely he either wins big and gets a contract extension or puts up another mediocre record and gets let go at the end of the year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I don't "expect 10 win seasons every year", but I also expect better than 2 winning seasons out of the last 4 from a guy who is among the 20 highest paid coaches in the country.

There is a big gap between 9 wins each season against FBS teams and averaging less than 6 wins against FBS teams over the last four years as he has done.

However, I believe that his seat isn't hot because he was given a stupid contract and we can't afford to do anything about his poor results.

I don't recall anyone stating they are happy being .500 vs. FBS. The debate is whether CPJ is capable of turning it around and if there is reasonable hope for the future. Reasonable hope for the future is not the same as satisfaction with the results over last four years.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

/
My guess is you are right even though fans are pretty upset with him in rural georgie.Of course if the Hill likes you and the AD too then why sweat it ! Shoot he cost to much jack to fire anyway.