Highly Unlikely - but what if CPJ hired an OC?

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
At one time CPJ had an OC calling the plays. CPJ said that he was constantly second guessing the play calling of his OC and decided that if he was going to do that then he needed to call the plays himself. So he did and hasn’t stopped since.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
He could still call the plays while hiring an offensive mind to build the offense. Johnsons is not stuck to his one stle of offense calling plays either and often will make up new plays in the passing gamw mid game
You don't know johnson. It's all about him & the TO and being the offensive genius that he thinks he is!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Spoke with someone that supposedly had a HC tell him that a coach on our staff said we are changing he offense in the next two years. Maybe an OC for CPJ to concentrate on everything related to the team. Or maybe CPJ feels he has a QB who can run some of the other stuff he did at Hawaii. I’d go with the later if I had to decide.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Spoke with someone that supposedly had a HC tell him that a coach on our staff said we are changing he offense in the next two years. Maybe an OC for CPJ to concentrate on everything related to the team. Or maybe CPJ feels he has a QB who can run some of the other stuff he did at Hawaii. I’d go with the later if I had to decide.
Yeeeaaaaahhhhhh okaaaaaaayy.

PTCjacket

Banned

this guy could be telling truth IF the scenario in play is that CPJ gets canned lol. Otherwise, he's full of ****.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it would help. If he was a strong recruiter and other aspects of the team were strong, then I'd say..."hey, he seems to be a good manager of the program, let's give it a shot". But none of those things are true. We are paying him his salary because of his offense, so if you take that away then why would we be giving him 3+ million a year?
Exactly this

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My point is that I don't think more recruiters is going to change the fact that kids don't want to play in the system.

Seems to be the consensus around here. Someone, who was apparently a manager of some sort during the time of around 2012 - 2013 or so, posted that he would hear players complain about the offense and many of them were there because Tech was their only decent power 5 offer or some such. Maybe there is something to that. However, unless significant changes are made to enhance recruiting including curriculum tweaks, increased resources devoted to recruiting, and the various bells and whistles that appeal to recruits then there is not much point in changing offenses because there is no doubt in my mind that the triple option properly executed is a major problem for defensive coordinators and levels the playing field to some degree.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He can be a bit petulant and cantankerous but I think he’d be a decent hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"petulant...cantankerous"? Coach Johnson? Nah, you can't be serious with all the warm, fuzzy vibes the man gives off kind of like a modern day cross between Bo Shembelcher and Woody Hayes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m with you, but I don’t think that’s happening. Ivin Johnson is more likely.

Let's see...

CPJ is on his 4th DC in 10 years. Ivin Jasper has been OC at Navy for 10+ years.

Career-wise, I'm not seeing that as a good career choice for Ivin Jasper, especially considering how involved CPJ would be with the offense anyhow. Anyone think CPJ has a problem second guessing his coaches in media? Imagine if GT has a bad offensive game...yikes.

Outside of the fact that hiring Ivin Jasper would be more of the same. Others have said we should hire a passing game coordinator. My preference would be to hire a Run and Shoot guru, or an Air Raid guru, mesh (no pun intended) run option with a heavier dose of RnS or Air Raid. I think that would open some eyes, and the dual threat QBs and skill players in the state would have a legit reason to give GT serious consideration.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Let's see...

CPJ is on his 4th DC in 10 years. Ivin Jasper has been OC at Navy for 10+ years.

Career-wise, I'm not seeing that as a good career choice for Ivin Jasper, especially considering how involved CPJ would be with the offense anyhow. Anyone think CPJ has a problem second guessing his coaches in media? Imagine if GT has a bad offensive game...yikes.

Outside of the fact that hiring Ivin Jasper would be more of the same. Others have said we should hire a passing game coordinator. My preference would be to hire a Run and Shoot guru, or an Air Raid guru, mesh (no pun intended) run option with a heavier dose of RnS or Air Raid. I think that would open some eyes, and the dual threat QBs and skill players in the state would have a legit reason to give GT serious consideration.

I don’t see it. CPJ is addicted to his offense. That said I agree, I just don’t see him hiring anyone that isn’t about his flexbone.