Highly Unlikely - but what if CPJ hired an OC?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Will never happen. Plus we're saving OC salary since he's both head coach/OC. Some people on the forum seem to think we are made of money and have endless supply of it.

How did GT operate all this years before Paul Johnson? We must throw rose pedals and kneel at his feet.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be so sure it wouldn't happen. Apparently he wanted to do it in 2012 and was not given the money for it. He wanted to hire an OC particularly for Vad. I could see him doing it this offseason. A new OC hire would probably fill the need for blood a lot of people have. Showing he's making a change, just like the woody hire did. Who he would go after i don't know.
Brian Bohannon. But I don't know if we could keep him. Still, if we wanted a hot shot OC who knows the program and could step in seamlessly when Coach retires, Bohannon is the guy.

But, of course, the consensus with many around here is that we should fire our future College Football Hall of Fame coach and spend 4 - 5 years fooling around with new offenses until we realize that nothing else about Tech's football situation has changed. Then we'll do what GSU did: hire somebody who will try to get us back to where we were. But I'm hoping that we'll try real hard not to be another Tennessee.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Brian Bohannon. But I don't know if we could keep him. Still, if we wanted a hot shot OC who knows the program and could step in seamlessly when Coach retires, Bohannon is the guy.

But, of course, the consensus with many around here is that we should fire our future College Football Hall of Fame coach and spend 4 - 5 years fooling around with new offenses until we realize that nothing else about Tech's football situation has changed. Then we'll do what GSU did: hire somebody who will try to get us back to where we were. But I'm hoping that we'll try real hard not to be another Tennessee.

Same offense that no one cares to see.
If you gonna get an OC have him offer something different that can be useful in mixing with your offense. Rhett Lashee would be my pick.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Back to where we were? What's that? Missing 3 bowl games in 4 years? Oh you mean the average of where we are under Johnson? You mean a 7-5 team. No, I'm sure you're thinking of that one magic year and are going to pretend that is what we are used to under Johnson.

Also we aren't going to be another UT. We won't have the chance to fire a coach who won 75% of his games overall here or won 9 or more 4 times in the previous 6 years including finishing ranked 12th the year before he was fired. It's laughable that you would equate the two situations.

PTCjacket

Banned
Mmmm, I think that's a slightly different subject. If you give CPJ more resources to recruit, that doesn't mean he gets a private jet so that he personally can recruit more and better. Its hiring more people and technology to help with recruiting. Its not for him.

My point is that I don't think more recruiters is going to change the fact that kids don't want to play in the system.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Bob DeBesse at Georgia Southern.

Under DeBesse's watch, the Lobos finish fifth in 2012, fourth in 2013, fifth in 2014, ninth in 2015 and first in 2016. The 2016 Lobos set a school record for points (477) and scoring average, averaging 36.7 points per game, and also featured two 1,000 yard rushers for the first time in school history. It also featured Teriyon Gipson, who led the nation in yards per attempt, averaging 8.75 yards per carry. In 2017, the Lobos' again finished in the top 20 nationally in rushing offense, averaging over 230 yards per game on the ground.

In the 2015 season, the Lobos led the nation in total plays of 60 or more yards (11) and 70 or more yards (7). The Lobos added a deadly aerial attack as well and the team threw three touchdown passes of 80 or more yards in the final five games of the season, the most 80-yard completions in the history of UNM for a single season.

The Lobos were certainly explosive as well. Aside from Pressley leading the nation with a 9.6 yards per carry average, UNM ranked in the top three nationally in most runs of 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards for the season, leading the nation in most 50 and 60 yard rushes (14 and 10 respectively).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some of the GT fans who keep naming a CPJ disciple are missing the point. The offense, at least on the field, is NOT the problem. The offense works.

The problem is the what the offense represents, and the challenges it brings in terms of perception and recruiting. If the best we can do is a CPJ disciple, we might as well stay the course with CPJ. No pun intended, but for the long term health of our program, CPJ or anyone related to his system is not an option for GT.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Allowing CPJ more money to hire a flunky, yes man O coach would be like giving a 15 year old some used hypodermic needles, a Bag of white powdery substance, a quart of Jack, the keys to a Ferrari and telling them to go have a good time.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Some of the GT fans who keep naming a CPJ disciple are missing the point. The offense, at least on the field, is NOT the problem. The offense works.

The problem is the what the offense represents, and the challenges it brings in terms of perception and recruiting. If the best we can do is a CPJ disciple, we might as well stay the course with CPJ. No pun intended, but for the long term health of our program, CPJ or anyone related to his system is not an option for GT.
Hell, all we have to do is run it out of the shotgun and throw a few more times a game and I think we’d be alright as far as perception and recruiting.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

If Paul Johnson becomes a Hall of Fame coach it will be due to his success at the 1-AA level, and not his 3 winning seasons in the last 9 (after this year) against FBS opponents at GT.

People who don't think Tech can do better don't think much of Tech.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I would be happy if CPJ does what he does BUT hires an Offensive passing guru who would coach the passing attack and call the pass plays for CPJ. We currently have no clue how to pass in a passing situation and CPJ has obviously not prepared the team to do so. In fact we cannot even line up in a hurry when facing a clock running out of time. A totally new approach is needed for our passing needs.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
3 in 9. Why leave just onebyear off.
2008 winning
2009 winning
2010 losing after bowl loss
2011 winning
2012 even
2013 winning
2014 winning
2015 dad
2016 winning
2017 losing
2018 eh might be anything. So I dont see 3 of 9 here. You may discount fcs teams but the record books don't and in a world where every year people get merced by them it is silly to do that

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
3 in 9. Why leave just onebyear off.
2008 winning
2009 winning
2010 losing after bowl loss
2011 winning
2012 even
2013 winning
2014 winning
2015 dad
2016 winning
2017 losing
2018 eh might be anything. So I dont see 3 of 9 here. You may discount fcs teams but the record books don't and in a world where every year people get merced by them it is silly to do that
So everybody gets a trophy is the plan.

We are having great trouble beating teams that regularly see our offense.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So everybody gets a trophy is the plan.

We are having great trouble beating teams that regularly see our offense.

The realism plan. Chan never went above 6 wins ever using your criteria. There are plenty of reasons to want to move on from johnson we are suppose to be engineers and scientists which means we dont make **** up to match our point. The records are the records.