Highly Unlikely - but what if CPJ hired an OC?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Also damn this stanford offense would be so much better if They threw from the gun. That qb had to take 5 steps and turn no way he had a chance to read the defense right. Looks like a bad 1970s uga offense right now. Leave the pro style for the pros.

Am i doing this right

Brian Bohannon. But I don't know if we could keep him. Still, if we wanted a hot shot OC who knows the program and could step in seamlessly when Coach retires, Bohannon is the guy.

But, of course, the consensus with many around here is that we should fire our future College Football Hall of Fame coach and spend 4 - 5 years fooling around with new offenses until we realize that nothing else about Tech's football situation has changed. Then we'll do what GSU did: hire somebody who will try to get us back to where we were. But I'm hoping that we'll try real hard not to be another Tennessee.

Future HOFer? For what - winning some FCS Nattys 30 years ago? 'Cause it sure won't be for anything else. He's been a good coach post-GSU but not a great one. Let's not get too carried away here.

Also damn this stanford offense would be so much better if They threw from the gun. That qb had to take 5 steps and turn no way he had a chance to read the defense right. Looks like a bad 1970s uga offense right now. Leave the pro style for the pros.

Am i doing this right

Stanford is a perennial top-15 program and annual Rose Bowl contender. We've been that twice under CPJ.

I'd trade places with the Stanford program in a heartbeat. It'd be nice to be relevant again.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Pro style for the pros? What?

If anything I’d love for GT to be like Stanford and play football with a forward pass again. The jig is up on the gimmick, bury it and get back to having a real football program. Regain some respectability and restore the brand. GT will not recruit like Clemson or UGA but GT can recruit high level 3* with sprinkles of 4’s maybe win a 5* player in the future. Either way, unless Paul can pull some kind of rabbit out the hat, it’s time to move on.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Am i doing this right
Lots of low academic types on the field

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be so sure it wouldn't happen. Apparently he wanted to do it in 2012 and was not given the money for it. He wanted to hire an OC particularly for Vad. I could see him doing it this offseason. A new OC hire would probably fill the need for blood a lot of people have. Showing he's making a change, just like the woody hire did. Who he would go after i don't know.
Somebody would have to show me a notarized request, signed in blood, hand-delivered awithdelivery confirmed, before I would even ponder the possibility that Paul Johnson ever gives up control of his prized offense. I take that back. If you think you saw him say it on TV, your eyes are lying.

But at least unofficially our season has ended because this is off-season stuff here.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You could see pressure from TStan to "modernize the offense" as an alternative to firing at the end of this season. With Gregory and Hewitt coming off the books next year, we'll technically have the funds to hire one of those OCs Quinlan suggested we were going to bring in for fresh ideas. Like others mentioned, Cook was originally that experiment (but on a budget).
I'm not sure that caving in to save his job is a desirable trait in a coach. He either believes his stuff works or he doesn't. You (the AD) prove it doesn't work and if it doesn't, then find a coach whose stuff does. And let's just face the facts of it: Johnson's strength has always, since his first head coaching job at GSU been offensive play calling. I think he is a better recruiter than critics acknowledge, he schemes better than most, on game days he is as good as anybody, but if you dispute all that, what is not disputable in my mind is his core strength: he is an excellent offensive football coach. (I can't argue because I don't know, but I have serious doubts that Cook was brought in to fix the offense or to help Vad Lee. I have learned to take Quinlan's insider stuff with a great deal of outsider skepticism.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
as well as to recruits.

65 running plays, 25 of which are QB Keepers are boring AF. NO ONE wants to watch that crap. worst of all, it ain't working. we can't even beat Pitt and Duke with it anymore.

Vs. puke we had more 1st downs, more yards gained, almost 13 more minutes in T.O.P -

and, at one point although down by 21 points, we had 7 completed passes. (Which is a ton for CPJ). If only those OL , coached by a 11 year, guaranteed employment OL coach hadn’t made another wrong call.

And we now have lost 4 of 5 to puke.

If that doesn’t make a recruit salivate - what will?

This has nothing to do with facilities, academics, branding, or unis.

Last edited:
In thia offense a 1 yard run or loss by the qb is the same as an incompletion

?? Except that the O remains one-dimensional and predictable.

An attempted, incomplete pass might take a few Defensive guys off the LOS on the next play rather than letting them continue to stack the box. We have never ever had the QB act like it's an option running play and, instead, pass it. It's either a QB Keeper or a pitch. We refuse to throw it and end up getting just throttled by all but the cupcakes on our schedule.

We are embarrassing and more importantly, boring, to watch.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Exploring Ivin Jasper.

"Coach Jasper definitely ranks right up there with Coach Niumat and Coach Johnson as far as understanding this offense. No one knows the option as well as those three men," former Navy quarterback Ricky Dobbs said. "I think Coach Jasper would be a great head coach. I've told him on many occasions that I would love to be his quarterbacks coach when that finally does happen."

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...-jasper-navy-offense-1130-20161129-story.html