High school coaches impressed by Collins...

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here’s the other interesting thing to me gents:

Reading through the recruiting threads we so often see, “really like this kid”, “really excited..”, “would be a huge get” etc sort of comments. And then we get the kids. Then we add up the stars (or whatever), and we end up like 51 or whatever, then the next 9months it’s ‘we can’t recruit”,etc,etc. And it seems like the same folks talking both ends.

Btw, I’m not bashing or singling out anyone, especially not the esteemed longtime posters that carry this forum! But it occurs to me that this is simply a function of the imprecise science of recruiting, or the imperfect scoring of 17yr old lads. In the end, “51” or wherever we land is just a number**. More important is what is gap/difference between 51 and, say, 20?? And, ultimately where does all this translate to W’s?

And maybe this why the Coastal had so many 7-5 teams, where the recruiting rank differences just don’t have material difference in talent?

I’m excited about the class coming in and definitely excited for ‘19!

** I am not CPJ, or related to CPJ or represent CPJ is any way

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
@BCJacket did an analysis that shows there is direct correlation between recruiting budget and recruiting class ranking. I don’t think it’s unfair to suggest increasing budget could help (I definitely don’t see how it could hurt).
Being 61 out of 65 in spending DOES hurt our program. You have to use UGA logic to think differently. Everyone should read BC’s thread and it should be updated every year so we are all totally informed of the data

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t think anyone believes budget is the only issue but it clearly has a big impact.

I don’t believe anybody believes it is a non-issue, but I believe many debate how big
Being 61 out of 65 in spending DOES hurt our program. You have to use UGA logic to think differently. Everyone should read BC’s thread and it should be updated every year so we are all totally informed of the data

Btw, where is the source of this “61 of 65” data?? I was looking earlier and, to be honest, I saw articles and numbers that put Tech much higher. MUCH higher. Just asking...thanks in advance!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I really don't mean to sound ignorant, but I don't understand this thought - if it was our offense that was so "offensive" as option offense that used cut blocks, why is it that our defensive recruits had to worry about cut blocks? Because of practice? I guess that type of thought must have worked or coaches wouldn't have used it, but I would think that players eligible to come to GT would be smarter than that...

and that our offense didn't practice against our defense, scheme vs scheme, after early August ...
I just cringe every time I hear someone on TV who should know better - radio doesn't count, because most of them are morons, with the exception of one or two - regurgitate the tired line of "they practice against their offense all the time." No. No they don't. You practice against the offense you're going to face that Saturday. Now, you may go against your own offensive personnel (especially in the NFL, where you have a much limited roster) but you still don't go up against your own scheme in 1s v 1s. PJ would go 1 v 1 during the season but that was almost exclusively short yardage and goal line work. Or whenever he wanted some competition between the two. But Monday through Thursday, for the vast majority of 80-93 practice periods no, his D wasn't lining up against the option.
But if you say something enough and if you have some gravitas, it becomes true. No matter how false it is.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Negative recruiting pretty much goes on everywhere...………………………………….just sayin';)

Absolutely.
When PJ was at Georgia Southern, they had a recruit come in for a visit and that recruit asked to see something (the weight room or something like that which wasn't up to snuff at the time). The coaches asked where else he had visited. He told them and it was a conference rival. So they figured, uh huh, those (bleeps) told this kid to ask about something here on his visit.
Other schools will always find something to use against you, be it calculus or your offense or even the lack of coeds on your campus.

and that our offense didn't practice against our defense, scheme vs scheme, after early August ...
I just cringe every time I hear someone on TV who should know better - radio doesn't count, because most of them are morons, with the exception of one or two - regurgitate the tired line of "they practice against their offense all the time." No. No they don't. You practice against the offense you're going to face that Saturday. Now, you may go against your own offensive personnel (especially in the NFL, where you have a much limited roster) but you still don't go up against your own scheme in 1s v 1s. PJ would go 1 v 1 during the season but that was almost exclusively short yardage and goal line work. Or whenever he wanted some competition between the two. But Monday through Thursday, for the vast majority of 80-93 practice periods no, his D wasn't lining up against the option.
But if you say something enough and if you have some gravitas, it becomes true. No matter how false it is.
It doesn't take much intelligence to realize that everything you said is true, but that didn't stop the negative recruiting techniques used against us, nor did it stop the recruits from believing it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So does the offense just not practice against any defense then?
Uh … and you think teams have a scout team for what exactly?

This is one reason why Ds have trouble during the season; the scout teams aren't as talented or as fast at running the opposing Ds. Now, the scouts will probably do a better job of mimicking opposing Ds since the Ds will be so similar and the scouts won't be running something else when they are developing skills. That might help our preparations. It remains to be seen.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I agree that the practice thing is over blow - especially with our schedule front loaded against weaker teams. Most drills are not at full speed so the scout guys are not that different in impact .

I know that 1 s do go some full speed reps against each other. For example, Will B was nicked in usf game where he played every rep. On following Monday ( may have been tuesday) he was injured further when the 1 s went against the 1s.

Do u or anyone have u a written weekly practice schedule. Maybe u could better explain the practice schedule a little more to me. Thanks.
Iirc
I sure thought the 1 s went against the 2s. 1 z and 2 s are running the option.
The scout team does the scheme expected for the 1s .

I have not been to spring games but I see by video that shows the option being run and defended by 1 s and 2s.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t believe anybody believes it is a non-issue, but I believe many debate how big

Btw, where is the source of this “61 of 65” data?? I was looking earlier and, to be honest, I saw articles and numbers that put Tech much higher. MUCH higher. Just asking...thanks in advance!

From the Department of Education - Equity in Athletics (Title IX Compliance Data) P5 Football Budgets for 2015 - which was the most recent year for which data was available until very recently:

upload_2018-12-19_21-29-36.png

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
From the Department of Education - Equity in Athletics (Title IX Compliance Data) P5 Football Budgets for 2015 - which was the most recent year for which data was available until very recently:

View attachment 4797
Interesting to note from that, Purdue just signed the #27 ranked recruiting class according to Rivals, and Wake's was ranked #49, with 3 4 star recruits. Washington State, only 5 spots and 1 million more in spending up the list, on top of being in a middle of nowhere location with no talent pool nearby, was a Top 10 team most of the year this year.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I looked at some of the same data that BCJacket looked at and focused on the total expenses per player on the football team for 2016. For Division 1-FBS (with a total of 126 teams), GT ranked 50th with an average of $192,668. For comparison, Clemson spent $363,170 and u(sic)ga spent $284,281. Alabama was, of course, the highest with $461,128 (2.4 x higher than GT on a per player basis).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I looked at some of the same data that BCJacket looked at and focused on the total expenses per player on the football team for 2016. For Division 1-FBS (with a total of 126 teams), GT ranked 50th with an average of $192,668. For comparison, Clemson spent $363,170 and u(sic)ga spent $284,281. Alabama was, of course, the highest with $461,128 (2.4 x higher than GT on a per player basis).
Who says you can’t buy championships? We are gonna have to do a whole lot better than that if we want to compete and I don’t care who the current Pied Piper is.