High school coaches impressed by Collins...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Johnson himself said plenty of times he didn’t care for recruiting much. Of course you go straight to trying to diss someone’s intellect when they question your guy.
Show me a quote or a video clip of Johnson saying he didn’t care for recruiting much.

Regardless, that does not mean he didn’t try hard to recruit. Correlation does not prove causation. You make statements as though they’re facts, when, in fact, you have no basis to support your opinion.

Don’t make unsupported derogatory comments and you won’t be called out.

And your immediate assumption for calling you out is that CPJ is “my guy.” Well, he was all of ours guy, and now he’s none our ours guy. I liked CPJ, I like CGC. I supported one, now I’ll support the other. But, like many on here are saying, I’m not going to support CGC by running down CPJ.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree that it was a LIMITING factor, but it was only like that because the media and the coaches of the other recruiting teams MADE it a factor.

Negative recruiting and bad narratives happens all the time...GT isn't the only school that's a victim of it. That's where better recruiting and combating bad stereotypes comes to play. Let's be honest, CPJ was not very good with the media, nor was he proactive in dispelling myths about his offense. He had as many WRs in the NFL as other schools, and one of his OLs is one of the best in the NFL. How many times did you see CPJ play that up with the media and on his own social media accounts? CPJ had quite a few defensive players drafted and play in the NFL...but it was rare we heard about it from him. If you're not proactive, you're reactive...being reactive in recruiting is a killer.

Like I said, let's see how a proactive recruiter who understands today's recruiting environment and comes with all the "NFL friendly" systems does. I think CGC is about as "GT recruiting friendly" as we'll get...so his tenure will test or reaffirm a lot of GT recruiting narratives.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Show me a quote or a video clip of Johnson saying he didn’t care for recruiting much.

Regardless, that does not mean he didn’t try hard to recruit. Correlation does not prove causation. You make statements as though they’re facts, when, in fact, you have no basis to support your opinion.

And your immediate assumption for calling you out is that CPJ is “my guy.” Well, he was all of ours guy, and now he’s none our ours guy. I liked CPJ, I like CGC. I supported one, now I’ll support the other. But, like many on here are saying, I’m not going to support CGC by running down CPJ.
Preach!

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Negative recruiting and bad narratives happens all the time...GT isn't the only school that's a victim of it. That's where better recruiting and combating bad stereotypes comes to play. Let's be honest, CPJ was not very good with the media, nor was he proactive in dispelling myths about his offense. He had as many WRs in the NFL as other schools, and one of his OLs is one of the best in the NFL. How many times did you see CPJ play that up with the media and on his own social media accounts? CPJ had quite a few defensive players drafted and play in the NFL...but it was rare we heard about it from him. If you're not proactive, you're reactive...being reactive in recruiting is a killer.

Like I said, let's see how a proactive recruiter who understands today's recruiting environment and comes with all the "NFL friendly" systems does. I think CGC is about as "GT recruiting friendly" as we'll get...so his tenure will test or reaffirm a lot of GT recruiting narratives.

I already buy that Geoff knows how to work the narrative and can capitalize on a media opportunity. We, as fans, can

A. Support and advocate for him having the boots on the ground to scout and recruit in the living room as well as the ESPN and Twitter feeds. (Of course you know this means $)
B. Show up all game every game and be heard yelling "to hell with Georgia". Hard to keep that swagger in an empty stadium.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Nah, end of the day the “recruiting budget” has nothing to do with it. For Clemson, either. You can’t pay these kids, and there’s far too many intangibles to pin to another $$$$ the kids never sees. The Budget argument as a primary motivator needs to cease, without otherwise proper correlation.

That is factually incorrect. All P5 schools plotted by Football budget and 5 Year Average Recruiting rank:

upload_2018-12-19_12-15-22.png

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Again just because someone doesn’t agree with your opinion you went straight to immature intellect insults. Telling.

Also how many articles have came out the last decade about the HS coaches and Johnson? Very, very few.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I already buy that Geoff knows how to work the narrative and can capitalize on a media opportunity. We, as fans, can

A. Support and advocate for him having the boots on the ground to scout and recruit in the living room as well as the ESPN and Twitter feeds. (Of course you know this means $)
B. Show up all game every game and be heard yelling "to hell with Georgia". Hard to keep that swagger in an empty stadium.

100% agree. That's why I don't get some fans already being negative about CGC.

Let's get behind CGC because ultimately that means getting behind GT and the players.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again just because someone doesn’t agree with your opinion you went straight to immature intellect insults. Telling.

Also how many articles have came out the last decade about the HS coaches and Johnson? Very, very few.
I always question the intellect of someone who makes a disparaging comment about someone else without a shred of evidence to support such a claim. As someone who's livelihood depends on my opinions being supported by factual evidence, I find opinions without support to be due to one of three things: laziness, being intellectually-challenged, or having an agenda. No worries. I won't see your comments any longer, so you won't have to read my comments. However, keep it up and others will continue to call you out.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I always question the intellect of someone who makes a disparaging comment about someone else without a shred of evidence to support such a claim. As someone who's livelihood depends on my opinions being supported by factual evidence, I find opinions without support to be due to one of three things: laziness, being intellectually-challenged, or having an agenda. No worries. I won't see your comments any longer, so you won't have to read my comments. However, keep it up and others will continue to call you out.

Cool story. Sounds good. Drop me on ignore.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That is factually incorrect. All P5 schools plotted by Football budget and 5 Year Average Recruiting rank:

View attachment 4790

Holy Pearson-Correlation-Coefficient Batman! That’s some amazingly consistent data. It’s almost as if to achieve X recruiting ranking you simply outlay Y budget dollars. Better get your wallets out boys...the offering plate is a-comin’! o_O

The problem with one-variable analysis here is that it basically assumes each P5 school is the same. And, has been documented again and again, GT is not a cookie-cutter school. I would be interested in a model of Tech’s recruiting budget over the years and how that correlated to ranking. Of course, even with that there are any number of influencing variables...

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Holy Pearson-Correlation-Coefficient Batman! That’s some amazingly consistent data. It’s almost as if to achieve X recruiting ranking you simply outlay Y budget dollars. Better get your wallets out boys...the offering plate is a-comin’! o_O

The problem with one-variable analysis here is that it basically assumes each P5 school is the same. And, has been documented again and again, GT is not a cookie-cutter school. I would be interested in a model of Tech’s recruiting budget over the years and how that correlated to ranking. Of course, even with that there are any number of influencing variables...
Don’t think anyone believes budget is the only issue but it clearly has a big impact.