High school coaches impressed by Collins...

It's cool that high school football coaches are taking a liking to Coach Collins:cool:
Just wait. The coaches at our rival schools will come up with something to attempt to shoot him down, just like they did with falsely claiming that any defensive player who signed to play under Johnson stood the high probability of career-ending leg and knee injuries. They used calculus books against Dodd and cut blocking against Johnson. You know damn well they will find something to use against Collins, and they they will all say Collins can't recruit or he can't coach. The same old BS by them, regardless of who the Tech coach is. I just hope Collins can get a leg up on them early and make them suffer. Johnson almost did, but I guess the arguments against him were just too loud and convincing.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
Just wait. The coaches at our rival schools will come up with something to attempt to shoot him down, just like they did with falsely claiming that any defensive player who signed to play under Johnson stood the high probability of career-ending leg and knee injuries. They used calculus books against Dodd and cut blocking against Johnson. You know damn well they will find something to use against Collins, and they they will all say Collins can't recruit or he can't coach. The same old BS by them, regardless of who the Tech coach is. I just hope Collins can get a leg up on them early and make them suffer. Johnson almost did, but I guess the arguments against him were just too loud and convincing.
Pessimistic much?;)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That's not pessimism; that's reality....the reality that Collins, or any coach at Tech, is, has always been, and will always be up against turds from other schools.

Well waaah!

Doesn’t matter what they “falsely” claimed about cut blocks or not. Only matters if it was an effective recruiting technique - and some of those h.s. coaches think it was.

Turd the **** out of them right back.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Won't take much to recruit harder than Johnson. Collins will blow him out of the water in that regard.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Some on here still won't believe it's true, but let's present exhibit 276,987:

Coaches believe the change from Johnson’s option offense to Collins’ pro-style scheme will appeal to a higher tier of prospects. Smith, at Cedar Grove, said that some recruits weren’t receptive to Johnson’s offense and their roles in it.

“I think more kids, skill guys, are pretty excited about it,” said Sanders, the Norcross assistant coach.

Also, something my coaching friends in HS have repeated to me that college coaches have said to their players:

Sanders’ head coach at Norcross, Keith Maloof, said that Tech’s recruitment of defensive players could improve because of the negative recruiting that Tech absorbed from rival coaches.

The biggest thing that I think is going to help Georgia Tech now is the other schools can’t come in and say, ‘Well, you’re going to get cut (blocked) your whole career on defense,’” Maloof said. “I think that’s going to help, if Tech plays their cards right. That’s going to help Tech get that pro-style defensive player that they haven’t been able to get in recent years, especially at linebacker and D-line.

Won't take much to recruit harder than Johnson. Collins will blow him out of the water in that regard.
There is a BIG difference between recruiting "hard" and recruiting "well." If you think CPJ didn't fully commit to recruiting, then you are a fool. Why would he not? The main reason he was not able to recruit "well," or "harder" is because he had virtually no recruiting staff, unlike every other college in the ACC, the SEC, and the entire country. Both DRad and MBob refused to increase the recruiting staff, so what more could CPJ have done? Although I am sure Collins will use entirely different techniques than CPJ, as well as going after different targets, at least on offense, you nor I nor anyone else YET has a clue as to how "well" he will benefit from his "hard" recruiting. CPJ pretty much did "well" enough for the offense, but he was obviously never, or seldom, able to so for the defense, thanks in part to the negative recruiting by our rivals. Fortunately for Collins, TStan apparently understands the need for a larger recruiting staff, so hopefully GT football will benefit across the board from Collins' efforts. Regardless, however, the negative tactics of our rivals will continue, and perhaps even intensify. HOPEFULLY, Collins and a real recruiting staff can overcome those tactics.

Some on here still won't believe it's true, but let's present exhibit 276,987:

Coaches believe the change from Johnson’s option offense to Collins’ pro-style scheme will appeal to a higher tier of prospects. Smith, at Cedar Grove, said that some recruits weren’t receptive to Johnson’s offense and their roles in it.

“I think more kids, skill guys, are pretty excited about it,” said Sanders, the Norcross assistant coach.

Also, something my coaching friends in HS have repeated to me that college coaches have said to their players:

Sanders’ head coach at Norcross, Keith Maloof, said that Tech’s recruitment of defensive players could improve because of the negative recruiting that Tech absorbed from rival coaches.

The biggest thing that I think is going to help Georgia Tech now is the other schools can’t come in and say, ‘Well, you’re going to get cut (blocked) your whole career on defense,’” Maloof said. “I think that’s going to help, if Tech plays their cards right. That’s going to help Tech get that pro-style defensive player that they haven’t been able to get in recent years, especially at linebacker and D-line.”
"Smith, at Cedar Grove, said that some recruits weren’t receptive to Johnson’s offense and their roles in it."
Some, possibly most, would not have found a role in Johnson's offense, regardless of whether they were "receptive" to it or not.
It will definitely help Collins that our rivals won't be able to use the cut-blocking excuse now, but I'm sure they will at least attempt to come up with something else.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
"Smith, at Cedar Grove, said that some recruits weren’t receptive to Johnson’s offense and their roles in it."
Some, possibly most, would not have found a role in Johnson's offense, regardless of whether they were "receptive" to it or not.
It will definitely help Collins that our rivals won't be able to use the cut-blocking excuse now, but I'm sure they will at least attempt to come up with something else.
Negative recruiting pretty much goes on everywhere...………………………………….just sayin';)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some, possibly most, would not have fit into Johnson's offense, regardless of whether they were "receptive" to it or not.

Let's not kid ourselves. MANY of the top tier skill position recruits would have fit into CPJ's offense. Guys like DeShaun Watson, Justin Fields, Jameis Winston, Tua Tagavoloa...were all offered by GT.

I mean, there's a reason why no other P5 program wants to run CPJ's offense, and it's not because it won't win games. IMO, there are maybe 10-20 guys that are on the same coaching level as CPJ/Monken/Coach Ken...yet outside of Coach Ken, no other P5 program has seriously gone after those guys in the last 5 years. Even with coach Ken it came with the condition that he needed to "open up" his offense.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
So I am cognisant of the benefit of getting highschool coaches on board, and am glad they are.

But I have to admit they are not a group, as a whole, whose opinion I much respect on just about any subject.

I wish I knew a little more about our new pro style scheme so I can get excited. Still, this is laying a groundwork for improvement.

Let's not kid ourselves. MANY of the top tier skill position recruits would have fit into CPJ's offense. Guys like DeShaun Watson, Justin Fields, Jameis Winston, Tua Tagavoloa...were all offered by GT.

I mean, there's a reason why no other P5 program wants to run CPJ's offense, and it's not because it won't win games. IMO, there are maybe 10-20 guys that are on the same coaching level as CPJ/Monken/Coach Ken...yet outside of Coach Ken, no other P5 program has seriously gone after those guys in the last 5 years. Even with coach Ken it came with the condition that he needed to "open up" his offense.
So if they would have fit and they were recruited, why couldn't we get them? For one, kids are attracted to "attractive" schools. That worked out great for Watson; not so great for Fields. There are probably a lot more like Fields out there, who swallow the BS and end up riding the pines, when they could have done great at a "less attractive" school. I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt Winston could have gotten into Tech. And then, as I have said before, the recruiting budget for staffing is miniscule compared to other schools, something which TStan I think is trying to remedy. If Johnson had had the recruiting budget and staff that Clemson has, then maybe we could have gotten Watson; who knows?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like an uninformed opinion based on your perception, not knowledge. I hope CGC recruits very well. I hope he's the most successful recruiter to ever step on Grant Field. But your disparaging comment about the level of effort Coach Johnson put into recruiting reflects very poorly on your intellectual capacity unless you have firsthand knowledge of his efforts.