Heaven has another Yellow Jacket fan!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This morning the biggest Georgia Tech fan I know made her way to Heaven. @SavhGTMom quietly, peacefully passed with her family surrounding her. Her name was Jane Coursey and she was not only my Mother but she was my best friend, my biggest champion, and the ONLY reason #IGotOut in March, 1983.

She never wavered from her love of all things Georgia Tech. The first GT football game she went to was against Notre Dame in the 60's. She was at Grant Field the night GT beat UGag in the fog. She was in Orlando for New Years Eve for the Citrus Bowl that gave Tech a National Championship. She was there through the lean years with B*** L**** and never quit on her Yellow Jackets. Lastly, she was able to be in Jacksonville for the TaxSlayer Bowl.

She was the reason I'm a Yellow Jacket and not a Dwag because she informed me that she was not paying for me to go to college and play. I would either go to Georgia Tech or stay home and go to Armstrong. She was the reason I survived my first winter quarter at GT. When I was ready to quit, when I was ready to give up she politely told me that if I wanted to quit, if I wanted to give up, if I wanted to give people the satisfaction of beating me down then I could come home. However, she assured me that I was as capable as any man at that school and I could accomplish anything I set my mind to.

She was a fan of CPJ and her screensaver was a picture taken with CPJ when he visited Savannah during his first year as coach. She even got to speak to CPJ during his last radio show of the 2015 season. She told him that she hoped he would stay because he was the best thing that could happen to GT and if he left she might just have to stop following GT football!

Lastly, she knew the answer to that famous question - What's The Good Word!!!!

It was with heavy heart that I ask @John to please close the GT Swarm account of @SavhGTMom.

May the peace that surpasses all understanding be with you and your family. Your mother was an inspiration to you and may you cherish your memories of her always. Scarcely a day goes by that I do not think of my mother and father (GT class of 1950).

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry to read. Sounds like we are close in age.

May you be able to take all of the wonderful, and powerful, lessons and messages she provided and pass them on to those that come.

May the Peace of the Lord be with you, and your Family.

Best Regards,
JK

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
All Moms are special and yours was extra special! I too ask that the peace of our Lord give you comfort and joy as you celebrate her life, as she passes from the land of the dying, to that Kingdom of the living.

“This world is not my home, I’m just passing through,
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door
And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
This morning the biggest Georgia Tech fan I know made her way to Heaven. @SavhGTMom quietly, peacefully passed with her family surrounding her. Her name was Jane Coursey and she was not only my Mother but she was my best friend, my biggest champion, and the ONLY reason #IGotOut in March, 1983.

She never wavered from her love of all things Georgia Tech. The first GT football game she went to was against Notre Dame in the 60's. She was at Grant Field the night GT beat UGag in the fog. She was in Orlando for New Years Eve for the Citrus Bowl that gave Tech a National Championship. She was there through the lean years with B*** L**** and never quit on her Yellow Jackets. Lastly, she was able to be in Jacksonville for the TaxSlayer Bowl.

She was the reason I'm a Yellow Jacket and not a Dwag because she informed me that she was not paying for me to go to college and play. I would either go to Georgia Tech or stay home and go to Armstrong. She was the reason I survived my first winter quarter at GT. When I was ready to quit, when I was ready to give up she politely told me that if I wanted to quit, if I wanted to give up, if I wanted to give people the satisfaction of beating me down then I could come home. However, she assured me that I was as capable as any man at that school and I could accomplish anything I set my mind to.

She was a fan of CPJ and her screensaver was a picture taken with CPJ when he visited Savannah during his first year as coach. She even got to speak to CPJ during his last radio show of the 2015 season. She told him that she hoped he would stay because he was the best thing that could happen to GT and if he left she might just have to stop following GT football!

It was with heavy heart that I ask @John to please close the GT Swarm account of @SavhGTMom.

what an exceptional eulogy. my heartfelt condolences. im glad she went peacefully.

"to HELL with georgia"

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

So sorry for your loss and for my Jackets loss, obviously a great lady.

Deleted member 2897

Mom's are special. When I was growing up (not in Georgia), I had my eyes set on the in-state Engineering school of choice, and my Mom brought up Georgia Tech. I knew I would have been in the bottom half of those that got accepted, so going somewhere that was going to be so hard was not high on my list. But over time, my Mom convinced me to come to Tech. She eventually got me to see her angle - that you should go into the very best place you can, even if you're literally the last person that's able to get admitted. God gives you gifts, and to not stretch them and reach as far out as you can for them would be unfair. She never had any connection to Tech other than my going there. She continues to try and watch games in any sport when they are on. I think Moms are special that way, they see in Tech what they see in themselves - an Institution that will push you hard to make you be the best you possibly can. Tech gives you the tough love that only a Mother can.

I am so sorry for your loss, but what a great example of a Mom she is. I hope you are able to fill your days celebrating her many memories and that those celebrations help cushion the grief and loss that your family no doubt has.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

• Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.
(Stolen from the Desiderata, but it seemed appropriate for this situation....)

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
So sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a parent. She sounded like a wonderful mother and a very wise woman. Prayers for your comfort during this difficult time.