Heaven has another Yellow Jacket fan!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This morning the biggest Georgia Tech fan I know made her way to Heaven. @SavhGTMom quietly, peacefully passed with her family surrounding her. Her name was Jane Coursey and she was not only my Mother but she was my best friend, my biggest champion, and the ONLY reason #IGotOut in March, 1983.

She never wavered from her love of all things Georgia Tech. The first GT football game she went to was against Notre Dame in the 60's. She was at Grant Field the night GT beat UGag in the fog. She was in Orlando for New Years Eve for the Citrus Bowl that gave Tech a National Championship. She was there through the lean years with B*** L**** and never quit on her Yellow Jackets. Lastly, she was able to be in Jacksonville for the TaxSlayer Bowl.

She was the reason I'm a Yellow Jacket and not a Dwag because she informed me that she was not paying for me to go to college and play. I would either go to Georgia Tech or stay home and go to Armstrong. She was the reason I survived my first winter quarter at GT. When I was ready to quit, when I was ready to give up she politely told me that if I wanted to quit, if I wanted to give up, if I wanted to give people the satisfaction of beating me down then I could come home. However, she assured me that I was as capable as any man at that school and I could accomplish anything I set my mind to.

She was a fan of CPJ and her screensaver was a picture taken with CPJ when he visited Savannah during his first year as coach. She even got to speak to CPJ during his last radio show of the 2015 season. She told him that she hoped he would stay because he was the best thing that could happen to GT and if he left she might just have to stop following GT football!

Lastly, she knew the answer to that famous question - What's The Good Word!!!!

It was with heavy heart that I ask @John to please close the GT Swarm account of @SavhGTMom.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mom_and_Coach.jpg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This morning the biggest Georgia Tech fan I know made her way to Heaven. @SavhGTMom quietly, peacefully passed with her family surrounding her. Her name was Jane Coursey and she was not only my Mother but she was my best friend, my biggest champion, and the ONLY reason #IGotOut in March, 1983.

She never wavered from her love of all things Georgia Tech. The first GT football game she went to was against Notre Dame in the 60's. She was at Grant Field the night GT beat UGag in the fog. She was in Orlando for New Years Eve for the Citrus Bowl that gave Tech a National Championship. She was there through the lean years with B*** L**** and never quit on her Yellow Jackets. Lastly, she was able to be in Jacksonville for the TaxSlayer Bowl.

She was the reason I'm a Yellow Jacket and not a Dwag because she informed me that she was not paying for me to go to college and play. I would either go to Georgia Tech or stay home and go to Armstrong. She was the reason I survived my first winter quarter at GT. When I was ready to quit, when I was ready to give up she politely told me that if I wanted to quit, if I wanted to give up, if I wanted to give people the satisfaction of beating me down then I could come home. However, she assured me that I was as capable as any man at that school and I could accomplish anything I set my mind to.

She was a fan of CPJ and her screensaver was a picture taken with CPJ when he visited Savannah during his first year as coach. She even got to speak to CPJ during his last radio show of the 2015 season. She told him that she hoped he would stay because he was the best thing that could happen to GT and if he left she might just have to stop following GT football!

It was with heavy heart that I ask @John to please close the GT Swarm account of @SavhGTMom.

God's Peace.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I am truly sorry for your loss. Having met and talked with her twice, including at the TaxSlayer Bowl, she was everything you described and more. A fun sense of humor, charisma in spades and the most loyal of GT fans.

It's clear to me why Mark Stoops backed down from CPJ. He would've dealt with a cut block from @SavhGTMom first.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was honored to get to meet your Mom in Jacksonville just a few months ago. We so enjoyed her spirit. You have been a faithful caregiver, and have seen to it that she was safe and comfortable. I have already sent word to CPJ of her passing. She was a great Jacket!

Add me to those who are praying God's best for you and your family in these meaningful days.

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Oh goodness!!!! She was a wonderful lady who I got to meet and so glad I did! You will be in our hearts and prayers @jwsavhGT, we will raise a coke to her in September!!!!