Heart vs Head

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Given: Being a fan = Being irrational
Therefore: Let's be irrational

I'm curious on different opinions on how folks 'view' other games week to week. Particularly ACC games, SEC games... and of course, UGA games. Generally, I want our competition each week to be "good" (i.e. have a good record) because it makes our win over that team more impressive. Better wins and more visibility helps recruiting and adds confidence with the current team. I nearly always pull for ACC teams vs non-conference opponents. Exceptions are Clemson, FSU (addressed later) and VT (I'm overrun with too many annoying Hokies where I work/live in VA). I like for them to be quieted early in the season.

ACC: Its pretty easy with Coastal teams to figure out who to pull for....how does the outcome help Tech win the Coastal? That's easy for me...the picture gets clearer and clearer as season progresses. UVA is the only team I'd like to win week in and week out; but wanting them to lose is never an issue if it may affect Tech's situation. With the Atlantic it gets more complex for me... I don't like Clemson and FSU. My heart wants them to lose. However... my head says I'd rather beat an undefeated (or 1 loss) Atlantic team in the ACCCG.

SEC: I like to see the SEC suffer and eat each other up by season's end and watch all the pundits twist themselves in knots trying to justify a 2-loss SEC team not even in the SEC championship game getting in the playoffs.

UGA: That brings me to UGA...where I struggle the most. I will NEVER 'pull' for UGA to win. Just can't do it...my heart is hardened. I like seeing them lose and I 'assume' if UGA suffers (record wise), it helps us recruiting long-term. HOWEVER... come late Nov... it will be much better taking the field against a UGA team that is highly ranked and in the SEC championship mix, right?

Does anyone else suffer with these issues?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I would be perfectly fine with UGA being 0-11 going into our game every year. The rest are based on the team. I root for Miami and VT to lose most games they play. I usually root for Clemson to win. The rest, it depends on who they are playing.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Clemson are good people. Have ALWAYS supported their team, even all those years of playing Dodd every year in ATL.
I want to win every time, but the only ACC team I can stomach losing to is CU.

UGAG. I have a lifelong gagger friend & he honestly wants GT to be undefeated every year they play us. Truly wants this. And he would love, every year, for them to knock us from ranks of undefeated.
Me, I just can not do it but so far has not worked. Maybe if I started thinking like him we would beat them more?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I personally think you can pull for whoever you want to. I think conference entitlement is a bunch of BS. We aren’t going to get into the playoffs unless we are undefeated period. Clemson, Miami, and FSU are about the only ACC teams that can get in with 1 loss. Just look at last year where UNC theoretically should’ve been on the cusp of the playoffs had they beaten Clemson in the ACCCG and they weren’t even being talked about as having a shot. Any other team whose only loss is the first game of the year and the playoff committee would 100% give them a pass for it. We’re in the same boat as UNC. Go undefeated even if our SOS is 60+ and we’ll be in. 1 loss even with our SOS last year and we’d be out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I personally think you can pull for whoever you want to. I think conference entitlement is a bunch of BS. We aren’t going to get into the playoffs unless we are undefeated period. Clemson, Miami, and FSU are about the only ACC teams that can get in with 1 loss. Just look at last year where UNC theoretically should’ve been on the cusp of the playoffs had they beaten Clemson in the ACCCG and they weren’t even being talked about as having a shot. Any other team whose only loss is the first game of the year and the playoff committee would 100% give them a pass for it. We’re in the same boat as UNC. Go undefeated even if our SOS is 60+ and we’ll be in. 1 loss even with our SOS last year and we’d be out.

If our only loss last year had been to ND, we would've been in.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I couldn't care less how Tech's opponent do until it's time for them for Tech to play them. I don't root for a conference (meh, that's such BS to me) or any other team (other than Navy). Tech is my team and has been/will be until I'm no longer here! Of course I do have the caveat of loving it any time GA loses :D

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
UGAG. I have a lifelong gagger friend & he honestly wants GT to be undefeated every year they play us. Truly wants this. And he would love, every year, for them to knock us from ranks of undefeated.
Me, I just can not do it but so far has not worked. Maybe if I started thinking like him we would beat them more?
He wouldn't feel that way if the two schools traded places and everywhere he went he saw gold and GT gear. I hate Ugag fans that say that crap, and I call them out on it every time I hear it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If our only loss last year had been to ND, we would've been in.
I’m assuming that means us beating an undefeated Clemson team in the ACCCG. I still think a 2-loss Notre Dame team with losses to Clemson and Stanford and a head to head win against us would get the nod.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really don't care who wins within our conference, so long as TECH does. I root against the SEC every freeking chance I get and will continue to do so until all the overblown hype stops. My second favorite team EVERY SINGLE WEEK is who is playing the pups. I will never root for UGA, nor will I just be neutral or indifferent. I actively want them to lose EVERY GAME. I don't care if a 1-9 UGA team was playing an undefeated SEC team who could possibly keep us out of a playoff. I want them to lose.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Disagree and it's not about conference entitlement, whatever that means. I pull for other ACC teams to win OOC because it makes the conference look good and get talked about in the national media. It increased exposure and hype for a much maligned conference. Any positive light on the conference shines on all schools in the conference just like any crap flung at the ACC smears all members. FSU getting boatraced by Louisville is kind of a wash because it was in conference. Had that been OOC, it would have created more "ACC sux" banter by the talking-know-nothings.

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
I always pull for the ACC to win out of conference games. I always pull for the SEC to lose and I always want the SEC heavyweights to lose even if it's to other, weaker SEC teams. UGA sucks and I hope they never win another game for the remainder of their existence. If the University of Georgia were playing North Korea, I would be a Chollima fan for a day

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
All my buddy's are UGA fans. Except for one Tide fan, and One Tennessee fan . I'm in a big iMessage group text with them since we hang out all the time, saturdays are the worse. I'm very superstitious I don't like to talk about Tech or how I think they will do because I think it will make them play bad. All of them except for the Bama fan are the exact opposite. ALL WEEK they talk about how good Chubb will do how Eason will lead them to the title ETC.. I never say much about UGA or Tech so I usually don't have to eat much crow. So every Saturday I make sure to tune into the UGA game or flip to the UGA game during commercials of the Tech game, I love watching them fall apart when UGA is struggling it's the best feeling. They Jinx and overhype their team every week.
Here's some screenshots of them reacting to Mizzu. WARNING EXPLICIT LANGUAGE

Attachments

• IMG_7714.PNG
    IMG_7714.PNG
    196.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7715.PNG
    IMG_7715.PNG
    193.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7716.PNG
    IMG_7716.PNG
    175.5 KB · Views: 67
Honestly I couldn't care less how Tech's opponent do until it's time for them for Tech to play them. I don't root for a conference (meh, that's such BS to me) or any other team (other than Navy). Tech is my team and has been/will be until I'm no longer here! Of course I do have the caveat of loving it any time GA loses :D
I don't so much root FOR the ACC as I do root AGAINST the SEC. I couldn't really care less about the rest.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
He wouldn't feel that way if the two schools traded places and everywhere he went he saw gold and GT gear. I hate Ugag fans that say that crap, and I call them out on it every time I hear it.

But he doesn't have to feel the way you described thanks to their long ago AD/HC making sure their fans knew what was most important. At the same time ours tried to kill us by going Indy and having an arrogant "we will always rule" attitude without working for it.

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
All my buddy's are UGA fans. Except for one Tide fan, and One Tennessee fan . I'm in a big iMessage group text with them since we hang out all the time, saturdays are the worse. I'm very superstitious I don't like to talk about Tech or how I think they will do because I think it will make them play bad. All of them except for the Bama fan are the exact opposite. ALL WEEK they talk about how good Chubb will do how Eason will lead them to the title ETC.. I never say much about UGA or Tech so I usually don't have to eat much crow. So every Saturday I make sure to tune into the UGA game or flip to the UGA game during commercials of the Tech game, I love watching them fall apart when UGA is struggling it's the best feeling. They Jinx and overhype their team every week.
Here's some screenshots of them reacting to Mizzu. WARNING EXPLICIT LANGUAGE
It is very strange looking at those screenshots to see a Ugagger griping about their kicker!!