HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I was reading Coach Key’s bio yesterday. He apparently was offered but turned down the UAB job because he was the presumptive UCF head man once O’Leary retired.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ had focused on these two things, we'd be Wake Forest or better right now.
No, we wouldn't. GTAA was starving CPJ for resources. Now, had we INVESTED in the program at that time, we would be in a different space.

CPJ said one thing that has always resonated with me. Tech is closer to a service academy in the importance of athletics to the university, the resources, and the quality and skill of the athletes. We just don't want to admit that.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know if it is still the case, but Tulane as a school has been in decline for some time. They closed the engineering school and have been strained for resources for quite a while. I almost went there before deciding to enroll at Tech instead. At one time, Tulane was considered elite. It's a private school with a limited reach. Not a great recipe for long-term success and in LA, it's LSU. It's one of three states with almost no competition for recruiting.

I can see why WF might want someplace with elbow room.
Academically, Tulane is on a par with many elite institutions in the "Tier 2" set of schools including Washington University in St Louis, Tufts, Tulane, NYU, UNC Chapel Hill, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Notre Dame, Emory, University of Virginia, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, UCLA, UC Berkeley,..." So while I agree on athletics, I do not think Tulane is a school on the decline academically.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Academically, Tulane is on a par with many elite institutions in the "Tier 2" set of schools including Washington University in St Louis, Tufts, Tulane, NYU, UNC Chapel Hill, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Notre Dame, Emory, University of Virginia, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, UCLA, UC Berkeley,..." So while I agree on athletics, I do not think Tulane is a school on the decline academically.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Wow. Looks like Tulane has been way more successful the past seven years than GT has. They've been to twice as many bowls as we have since 2016... And 41 wins to our 34 over seven years

RkYearConfWLTPctWLTPctSRSSOSCoach(es)Bowl
12022ACC570.417440.500-2.974.86Geoff Collins (1-3), Brent Key (4-4)
22021ACC390.250260.250-1.913.68Geoff Collins (3-9)
32020ACC370.300360.333-7.850.05Geoff Collins (3-7)
42019ACC390.250260.250-8.492.42Geoff Collins (3-9)
52018ACC760.538530.6252.761.76Paul Johnson (7-6)Quick Lane Bowl-L
62017ACC560.455440.5006.385.93Paul Johnson (5-6)
72016ACC940.692440.5007.132.90Paul Johnson (9-4)TaxSlayer Bowl-W
Let's just limit it to the last 4 years... 25 vs 14 wins... oh and 3 bowl games verses 0.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Cons: mullet
jeff bridges fgc GIF

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I disagree. Students choose almost any of the schools you mentioned by a ratio of 3:1 or more except for Wake Forest. Tulane received a lot of its funding from the old United Fruit Company (the one that used to use the Marines to invade Latin American countries), and it has struggled for quite some time. I'm sure it's a fine school, but it's not even close to what it was.

Disclaimer: It used to have a great journalism school and I will admit that SOME schools are still very good. But overall, without continued endowment growth, it's being surpassed. (I did my graduate work at Emory and Tulane in no way compares to to Emory. Emory has so much money it's unfair.)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Knowing what we know now, I think we could have had six, possibly 7, this year. I might even say eight.

Losses being Clemson, Ole Miss, UGA and one from the field. But weren't all the others winnable if we had been coached well beginning last December?
And two wins were very close to being losses. Duke missed a tying FG in OT and a drop by Downs for UNC. Wins were razor thin but at least we finally won some close games and got some breaks. Too bad Key didn't get to run the team sooner. QB injuries resulted in influencing a couple of losses.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
If CPJ had focused on these two things, we'd be Wake Forest or better right now.
I just can’t agree on the passing side. We threw mostly in proportion to the talent we had at QB, WR, and AB.

Pass attempts/game

2008: 12.7
2009: 12.0
2010: 12.9
2011: 12.8
2012: 13.9
2013: 15.6
2014: 14.5
2015: 16.0
2016: 12.2
2017: 10.7
2018: 9.7

2013 was a weird year, but we certainly tried to take advantage of Vad’s arm talent in his lone season as the clear starter. Against UGA that year, we gameplanned around throwing the ball with Vad - perhaps too much (remember the pick in the 4th quarter?) - but he really did have a good day passing it overall.

I don’t think he would have beaten out JT in 2014 - and I think that plays into the transfer more than “Vad didn’t like to get hit” - but 2014 with him at the helm would have looked more like 18-19 passes per game, IMO. At that point, we had two NFL wideouts and several talented pass-catching A-Backs. In the real world, Justin threw it 14.5/game at a VERY solid 51.3% completion rate. Justin was more accurate than Vad, generally speaking, but didn’t have quite the same long ball skill. We’d have taken a few more deep shots per game with Vad. The attempts would have been more had we been behind in more games.

In 2015, we had our highest attempts-per-game, but only because we were always losing.

In 2017 and 2018, we had TM and Tobias at QB. It simply would not have made sense to throw it more with those guys than we did, as they weren’t very skilled passers. We also had some phenomenal B-Backs: Benson (severely underrated!), Howard, and Mason. In a world where Ratliff never got hurt, or maybe if Lucas Johnson had stayed healthy and beat out TM in 2018, we probably are back at 13 att/game. That’s on recruiting, if anything, as well as luck.

In reality, the TM/Tobias offense was really heavy on QB sweeps, QB counters, B-back speed options, and relatively light on triple options. Despite these limitations, we were on an offensive upswing; OFEI for last three years:

2016: 29
2017: 23
2018: 19

The interesting counterfactual is 2019 with CPJ. Do we go with Tobias and run a gajillion QB sweeps? Does Yates or Graham or Johnson beat Oliver out? We had an emerging Camp and Malachi Carter, it could have been spicy through the air. Also would have been fascinating to see if one of Mason or Benson got moved to AB, in an Anthony Allen type role.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Tulane received a lot of its funding from the old United Fruit Company (the one that used to use the Marines to invade Latin American countries), and it has struggled for quite some time. I'm sure it's a fine school, but it's not even close to what it was.

It's ranked # 44 on the US news rankings of best national universities, tied with GT.

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is my 2 cents on the current situation. I think writing is on the wall that Key is not the hire. I think McCollum leaving signaled that much. Does that mean the team has been told who the coach is.... if so it's a thousand percent Fritz after this weekend. If the team has been told it's not Key but not named a coach yet that doesn't make sense to me. If it's not Fritz then I think it will be a name we are completely surprised by. Lastly, I do find it interesting Batt passing over Key if option 1 and 2 did not work out. Seems like Key would have been safe for Batt on a number of levels. So for him to go a different direction tells me he really liked Fritz or whoever it is. Secondarily what about Key was such a turnoff???

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Here is my 2 cents on the current situation. I think writing is on the wall that Key is not the hire. I think McCollum leaving signaled that much. Does that mean the team has been told who the coach is.... if so it's a thousand percent Fritz after this weekend. If the team has been told it's not Key but not named a coach yet that doesn't make sense to me. If it's not Fritz then I think it will be a name we are completely surprised by. Lastly, I do find it interesting Batt passing over Key if option 1 and 2 did not work out. Seems like Key would have been safe for Batt on a number of levels. So for him to go a different direction tells me he really liked Fritz or whoever it is. Secondarily what about Key was such a turnoff???
Maybe Key will still be on staff just not head coach. That’s still a possibility.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How is that a detriment? I'd argue a lot of schools should reduce their degree offerings?
It's a smaller school, with less influence in its home city (and nationally for that matter), and has struggled financially for the last 15-20 years. There was a time when Tulane was a top choice of high school graduates where I came from. Now? Almost none.

I'm not here to convince you. I am very familiar with Tulane, it's campus and what it is today and what it was. If you are happy with using rankings, go for it.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Also possible he had a plug and best info of everyone but everyone b***h at him for no reason so he bounced
I don't think anyone bitched at him, I just questioned two things he told us because they didn't make sense to me. Why would anyone in the GTAA know that Chadwell was turning down GT to hold out specifically for WV, particularly when WV has not even fired their coach yet and may not since he has a $20m buyout if fired before January? He then offered up a bunch of information about who his source was that made it easily verifiable, and that didn't add up either. Perhaps I misinterpreted what he said, but he has disappeared and doesn't seem like he will be back clarifying.

Some of y'all seem to be a little worked up that this one particular person is no longer feeding you unverified rumors. There are plenty of those still floating around, so I'm not sure why, but if you need me to make stuff up for you to feel like you have the inside scoop, I can.