HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's not just academics..in fact, that's probably the least of Tulane's challenges. It's a complete lack of resources. Tulane's Administration has been famously ignoring big time football for decades and the program had no practice facility, no stadium, no money, no fan base and very little to attract recruits with. Methinks THAT is why Fritz is being considered so heavily for our job, because while we are not as bad off as Tulane was, a lot of those same problems face our program, especially in the short term.
I don't know if it is still the case, but Tulane as a school has been in decline for some time. They closed the engineering school and have been strained for resources for quite a while. I almost went there before deciding to enroll at Tech instead. At one time, Tulane was considered elite. It's a private school with a limited reach. Not a great recipe for long-term success and in LA, it's LSU. It's one of three states with almost no competition for recruiting.

I can see why WF might want someplace with elbow room.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'd be surprised if BK doesn't have a HC job by Christmas. If not GT, then likely a G5 spot.
I can see that- he has shown an ability to turn around a team, win some big games at a tough school, in a bad situation with less talent and major injuries to key players.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow

Have you seen this? I know that the Tech people will cry about how the rankings are biased, but there is a little school that is ranked 49th and our Institute is ranked 44. I wonder how they do so well.

Also, there are better football schools ranked higher than us. The elitism that Tech people have are the reason why we aren't very good. Its also the reason why we don't have side-walk fans.
I was actually referring to Fritz succeeding at Tulane (high academic) versus Chadwell succeeding at Coastal Carolina (less rigorous). I would imagine succeeding at Tulane is more difficult.

I agree with your elitism comment about 85%. There are academic challenges at Tech, but we blow them way out of proportion to help justify why we stink.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not, but I was told and have read in this forum that major donors seethed at Coach Johnson's antiquated high school offense. If that is true, they got their wish and 4 years of less than mediocre football has been concluded.
There may have been some big donors that wanted a change but I know of one that is mentioned prominently that is very close to PJ and his family. Also some may have wanted some changes within his offense to include more passing and better recruiting.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
There may have been some big donors that wanted a change but I know of one that is mentioned prominently that is very close to PJ and his family. Also some may have wanted some changes within his offense to include more passing and better recruiting.
If CPJ had focused on these two things, we'd be Wake Forest or better right now.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Have you seen this? I know that the Tech people will cry about how the rankings are biased, but there is a little school that is ranked 49th and our Institute is ranked 44. I wonder how they do so well.

Also, there are better football schools ranked higher than us. The elitism that Tech people have are the reason why we aren't very good. Its also the reason why we don't have side-walk fans.
GTrob21, I assume you know this and are just trying to get a reaction, but Tech grads have more than good reason to be very proud of our academics. As you are certainly aware, Tech is a relatively small school with very narrow academics. It is not about the rankings being "biased" so much as we do not have a broad range of programs that can even contribute to our overall "score". Of the programs Tech does offer, here are our US News & World Report rankings:

GT is #4 in overall undergraduate Engineering, with the following individual program rankings:
Industrial and Systems Engineering - 1st
Aerospace Engineering - 1st
Biomedical Engineering - 2nd
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering - 2nd
Civil Engineering - 2nd
Electrical Engineering - 2nd
Mechanical Engineering - 2nd
Environmental Engineering - 3rd
Computer Engineering - 4th
Materials Science and Engineering - 5th

On top of that, Computer Science is ranked 5th and our undergraduate Business program is ranked 19th (ahead of UGA's Business school at #38).

The graduate school engineering programs are all equally top 10, with eight of the eleven graduate engineering programs being ranked top 5.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's not just academics..in fact, that's probably the least of Tulane's challenges. It's a complete lack of resources. Tulane's Administration has been famously ignoring big time football for decades and the program had no practice facility, no stadium, no money, no fan base and very little to attract recruits with. Methinks THAT is why Fritz is being considered so heavily for our job, because while we are not as bad off as Tulane was, a lot of those same problems face our program, especially in the short term.
I hate to say this, but you can say the same thing about Tech other than we do have a practice facility and stadium. Which is why the only 2 the wants the job is Key and Fritz. We need to understand this is not really a great job. maybe the new president and AD can change that, but it will not be a fast fix.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Since we mostly admit we are dealing with speculation, let's attempt to explain what we know…

let-me-explain-sum-up.gif

Brent Key: was interviewed but hasn't been hired. Players and families are lobbying for him, as well as several big donors.
Pros: Players love him, has two big wins this year, stabilized the program, seen as an affordable hire
Cons: Losses to UVA and Miami (although in both games injured QBs were an issue), tainted by association with CGC, no HC experience outside of this interim gig

Jamey Chadwell: rumored to have interviewed but not offered
Pros: High powered offense, stellar record as a HC, seen as a program builder
Cons: No P5 experience, insists on bringing whole staff with no P5 experience, mullet

Willie Fritz: rumored to have been interviewed and offered, but maybe not accepted the job (yet?)
Pros: HC experience, successful transition of GaSo to FBS, success at Tulane
Cons: Old, uninspiring, no P5 experience in a long career

Bill O’Brien: rumored to have interviewed but not offered
Pros: Successful P5 OC, NCOY at PSU after taking over after the sanctions, winning NFL record as HC
Cons: Roster building as NFL GM, Bama fans don’t like him

Bill Clark: rumored to be interviewing this week
Pros: Success at UAB, never had a losing season at the college level
Cons: Health concerns, no P5 experience,

Clearly, there are no good choices...

As You Wish Cary Elwes GIF by Disney+

Then there are the other names rumored with less to support them: Deion Sanders, Gus Malzhan, Garret Riley, Eric Taylor, Del McGee, and Mike Houston. On top of that, we are speculating that our AD has mismanaged this search and the Fritz rumors are painting us in a bad light.

The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

So, here we are, three days after the last game of the season with no idea who is going to coach us and feeling like we are stuck in a rut. Our only way out of this?

tumblr_mderutDFyp1qji4w1o9_400.gif

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
GTrob21, I assume you know this and are just trying to get a reaction, but Tech grads have more than good reason to be very proud of our academics. As you are certainly aware, Tech is a relatively small school with very narrow academics. It is not about the rankings being "biased" so much as we do not have a broad range of programs that can even contribute to our overall "score". Of the programs Tech does offer, here are our US News & World Report rankings:

GT is #4 in overall undergraduate Engineering, with the following individual program rankings:
Industrial and Systems Engineering - 1st
Aerospace Engineering - 1st
Biomedical Engineering - 2nd
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering - 2nd
Civil Engineering - 2nd
Electrical Engineering - 2nd
Mechanical Engineering - 2nd
Environmental Engineering - 3rd
Computer Engineering - 4th
Materials Science and Engineering - 5th

On top of that, Computer Science is ranked 5th and our undergraduate Business program is ranked 19th (ahead of UGA's Business school at #38).

The graduate school engineering programs are all equally top 10, with eight of the eleven graduate engineering programs being ranked top 5.

See, I put this all on PAC.

He's been here 3.5 years, and we're still not in the top 25 of all schools nationwide. We need to find a President who understand what it takes to make us a truly elite university...someone who has more than being a "Tech Man" on his resume.

There are a lot of good university presidents out there. Why can't we find one? Maybe Georgia Tech is not as good a job as we think it is.

:rolleyes: