HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Everything from that Tulane recap makes sense to me.

Fans thinking GT is going to get a HC for a low price and/or few years are sadly off base in terms of what the market for coaches look like at a P5 level.
We had 3 coaches come into the ACC last year.
Brent Pry's contract at VT was for 6 years, 27.5MM - starting at 4.0MM and ending at 4.5MM in yr 6.
Tony Elliot's contract at UVA was 6 years, 25.93MM- starting at 4.1MM and ending at 4.55MM in yr 6.
Duke is a private school so they do not have to disclose their contract but Mike Elko was making $2.1MM as the DC at TX A&M so I expect his contract is certainly well into the 3+MM range.

If GT hires Key I expect the best case scenario would be 5 years and 3+MM per year. Something like $17.5MM overall and that would be a real low ball type offer from GT.
A $4MM offer for Fritz would be in line with what other recent ACC hires have been for mid-to-low level ACC programs.GT message board who live in coach salary fantasy world.

Just FYI, Nebraska's new contract with Matt Rhule is reportedly in the neighborhood of 8 yrs, $72MM.
WI new contract with Luke Fickell is expected to be over $6MM per year.

Based on the UVA/VT contracts I expect whoever GT ultimately signs gets a 6 yr deal - that is just sort of where the market is at right now.
Excellent post. And yes there are a lot of GT fans on this and the other GT message board that live in a coach salary fantasy world.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Bill Clark is a realistic possibility, he immediately jumps to the top of my list (and I'll start praying that Auburn doesn't come to their senses and start pursuing him).

A poster that's familiar with how Clark built the UAB roster questions whether that type of approach would translate to GT. Supposedly Clark built the UAB roster with a bunch of JUCOs, transfers, and kids with not the strongest academics. I haven't really looked into it, but that's something to think about.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
A poster that's familiar with how Clark built the UAB roster questions whether that type of approach would translate to GT. Supposedly Clark built the UAB roster with a bunch of JUCOs, transfers, and kids with not the strongest academics. I haven't really looked into it, but that's something to think about.
I was just looking at an article about it - supposedly he rebuilt the roster with Juco guys because HS recruits didn't want to talk to him at the time. I'd imagine it's rather difficult to convince someone to join your team that currently doesn't have any players at all.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
It looks like Key will not be offered the job. Sad (to me) really. He isn’t afraid to make tough decisions, e.g., Jeff Sims. I heard today that Joe Hamilton said on 680 that Chip Long was not part of the offensive game planning or play calling for the past two weeks. Key shifted that responsibility to Weinke.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Everything from that Tulane recap makes sense to me.

Fans thinking GT is going to get a HC for a low price and/or few years are sadly off base in terms of what the market for coaches look like at a P5 level.
We had 3 coaches come into the ACC last year.
Brent Pry's contract at VT was for 6 years, 27.5MM - starting at 4.0MM and ending at 4.5MM in yr 6.
Tony Elliot's contract at UVA was 6 years, 25.93MM- starting at 4.1MM and ending at 4.55MM in yr 6.
Duke is a private school so they do not have to disclose their contract but Mike Elko was making $2.1MM as the DC at TX A&M so I expect his contract is certainly well into the 3+MM range.

If GT hires Key I expect the best case scenario would be 5 years and 3+MM per year. Something like $17.5MM overall and that would be a real low ball type offer from GT.
A $4MM offer for Fritz would be in line with what other recent ACC hires have been for mid-to-low level ACC programs.

Just FYI, Nebraska's new contract with Matt Rhule is reportedly in the neighborhood of 8 yrs, $72MM.
WI new contract with Luke Fickell is expected to be over $6MM per year.

Based on the UVA/VT contracts I expect whoever GT ultimately signs gets a 6 yr deal - that is just sort of where the market is at right now.

Excellent post. I agree with everything but have two (minor) additions.

Pay will be based on the hire. As you said, Key would probably get an incentive laden $3-$3.5 million per year contract for 4-5 years. Fritz likely gets $4-$4.5 million a year.

I have been led to believe there might be some other names in play, (Gus, Riley) and if we can pull one of them off, I could see GT spend up to $5.5 a year for the right hire, but that hire is a longshot that hasn't interviewed yet, and I am not sure either one even will.

Also, with Fritz the Tulane buyout has to be addressed, which may be the sticking point with unhappy donors. If it's anywhere near the $8 million I was told, that's an awful lot of money to come off of when you're also promising to up spending on assistants.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I was just looking at an article about it - supposedly he rebuilt the roster with Juco guys because HS recruits didn't want to talk to him at the time. I'd imagine it's rather difficult to convince someone to join your team that currently doesn't have any players at all.
This was even before the Transfer Portal was really a thing so I imagine he would have some overlapping concepts on how to use that there and plus if he was well liked by his kids if he's can get in doors he should be able to recruit HS kids

GT33

Helluva Engineer
At this point we’re just going to need to rally around whoever it is. We clearly whiffed on the top choices, so we need to get the best we can.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
supposedly he rebuilt the roster with Juco guys because HS recruits didn't want to talk to him at the time.
This is correct, but you have to remember that UAB admin had shut down the football program. Whether Clark could resurrect it was a legit concern. Juco guys could transfer in knowing they would start while having a relatively easy classroom load. UAB is NOT the Harvard of the South. I say that and I have a degree from there.

Also, Birmingham was a football town without a team. Legion Field had been the Tide home stadium for about half their games for many years. Then Auburn demanded a home & home arrangement with Bama and Legion Field became a venue for HS games. So, the money folks in the Magic City did some magic with their money and suddenly the program rose from the dead with money in the bank. None of this would happen in Atlanta to help Clark. And, I think UAB wants him to return when he is healthy enough to coach again.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Excellent post. I agree with everything but have two (minor) additions.

Pay will be based on the hire. As you said, Key would probably get an incentive laden $3-$3.5 million per year contract for 4-5 years. Fritz likely gets $4-$4.5 million a year.

I have been led to believe there might be some other names in play, (Gus, Riley) and if we can pull one of them off, I could see GT spend up to $5.5 a year for the right hire, but that hire is a longshot that hasn't interviewed yet, and I am not sure either one even will.

Also, with Fritz the Tulane buyout has to be addressed, which may be the sticking point with unhappy donors. If it's anywhere near the $8 million I was told, that's an awful lot of money to come off of when you're also promising to up spending on assistants.
In regards to (I'm assuming you're referring to Garrett) Riley, he's coaching TCU in the Big 12 Championship this Saturday. Thamel made mention that some of the candidates being interviewed will be coaching Saturday. We know Fritz and Chadwell will be coaching as well.

While typing the above, I had a sneaky (if true) thought. What if Batt or someone in his camp leaked the Fritz hire in order to take heat off our REAL hire? From both a media perspective, but also the rogue donors trying to muck things up. You know how coaches are with distractions during game week and Batt seems like a pretty savvy person. There are reports that an "offer" was made to Fritz without actually being interviewed. There are quite a few potential candidates that will coach this weekend and not putting a spotlight on them while a "bait" candidate gets all the questions.

This would be quite the rope-a-dope move if it's what's going on. Talk about 4D chess.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In regards to (I'm assuming you're referring to Garrett) Riley, he's coaching TCU in the Big 12 Championship this Saturday. Thamel made mention that some of the candidates being interviewed will be coaching Saturday. We know Fritz and Chadwell will be coaching as well.

While typing the above, I had a sneaky (if true) thought. What if Batt or someone in his camp leaked the Fritz hire in order to take heat off our REAL hire? From both a media perspective, but also the rogue donors trying to muck things up. You know how coaches are with distractions during game week and Batt seems like a pretty savvy person. There are reports that an "offer" was made to Fritz without actually being interviewed. There are quite a few potential candidates that will coach this weekend and not putting a spotlight on them while a "bait" candidate gets all the questions.

This would be quite the rope-a-dope move if it's what's going on. Talk about 4D chess.
If Fritz knew he was not the candidate and was being used like that, I think he would have just said, "I am not going to be the head coach at Ga Tech."

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
better than fritz
In what ways? Fritz has waaayyy more experience in tougher situations than what Clark has dealt with. Clark gets a lot of credit for the UAB situation, but there was a ton of support for UAB football across the state, and even the country. Clark got more support from state legislature and big money people from Alabama, Auburn, and across the state than Tech has gotten in 50 years from the state of Georgia. You think UGA people would contribute a dime to GT’s athletics program? Hell no.

Fritz has done just as good, if not a better job with turning around “dead” programs as Clark did at UAB, with even less support. Fritz is about to go to his 4th bowl game in 7 years at Tulane. You have to go back to 1987 to find 4 bowl appearances before Fritz got there. Fritz has as many 6+ win seasons at Tulane as they had in the previous 15 years before Fritz. He is quite literally the best head coach they’ve had there since Tommy Bowden in the 90s, and before that you have to go back to the 1930s to find a stretch at Tulane as successful as they are right now.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

This type of post makes me think that I was wrong all along about the guys who majored in phys ed. I realize now that maybe it's me that's not smart enough to be a FB coach and/or an AD. ;)

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
You win at the top levels of P5 with big linemen in the trenches, I don't see any of these coaches that do not come from P5 backgrounds understanding that or practicing that. Along those same lines looking at UT knoxville it was what I saw as the big difference in their not making it to the championship.
I was so hoping that Pres AC meant what he said, if I understood him right, that he was committed to doing what it takes for GT winning at the highest level in CFB. I don't see CWF taking us there, but I would rather have him than the guy from CC. I'm guessing our folks may be seeing CWF as a safer bet than CBK. We are at the bottom all time with GTFB IMO and it needs to be saved. They are looking at everything, knowing stuff I'm guessing most of us don't know, so that is why they need to be making the decision and not me. :)