HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
We were never going to have another Geoff Collins situation this go around though, so that’s irrelevant. Worst case scenario we end up with Key, who has already proven he’s much better than Collins is, and we’d probably get him on a much more team friendly contract, both length and monetarily.

Avoiding rumors on the internet is like, the primary reason people on here were so adamant about using a search firm. You remember all of plausible deniability stuff? Rumors and leaks are going to spread either way, so if we’re this deep into the search and there are this many rumors circling, Parker is not doing their job well enough to warrant their paycheck.

I don't think anyone ever said THAT. It's the internet and a college football message boards. There are going to be rumors. Parker is not capable of making sure a bunch of knuckleheads on a message board don't share info that someone reports or heard from an old college roommate. Not sure why you have this hatred of search firms, but why not just blame them for Russia's invasion of Ukraine next? 🤷‍♂️

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
Just copied this from a Tulane message board the guy is recapping an interview the Tulane reporter did on NOLA around 1pm NOLA time

Re: Willie Fritz

Post by DrHullabaloo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:23 pm

Cliffs Notes on Guerry Smith's interview with Gus Kattengel this afternoon on ESPN Nola:

GT is a job that pays more money

CWF is the most stand up guyWill likely get $4mm at GT

AAC getting worse next season, competition level won't be the same

the money is the difference maker, follow the money

2.3mm-2.5mm is AAC salaries

kattengel says counteroffer likely

Kattnegel brought up Tulane facilities

Guerry agrees that facility upgrades is a must

Guerry feels he will make decision beyond just money

Guerry points out New Orleans isn't a place for everyone

If he wants a p5 job at his age, this is the last window to do that

If it's definitively a tougher job, playing teams like Georgia every year

We will find out quickly after the championship game his decision.

Regardless they have established a culture that we will be competing for championship title regardless of the AAC composition moving forward

We have some great players coming back, but there will definitely be a step down in talent level

Guerry was surprised that the first UCF game didn't sell out, and pleasantly surprised that people got the message for the conference game

Sellout should have happened the first matchup

If GT had insisted he leave right away, he would have turned down the job. Guerry says CWF feels that strongly about the championship game.

..... So we wait til Saturday to learn our fate and stew on this for 5 more days.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Well the last time we didn't have a search firm, we got Geoff Collins, so that is definitely worse. To your second question, it happens because everyone is taking any morsel of information, whether legitimate or not, and extrapolating to an answer in the race to be first with the news.
Paying for a search firm does not guarantee this will not happen.

Common sense would have. (IMHO)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just copied this from a Tulane message board the guy is recapping an interview the Tulane reporter did on NOLA around 1pm NOLA time

Re: Willie Fritz

Post by DrHullabaloo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:23 pm

Cliffs Notes on Guerry Smith's interview with Gus Kattengel this afternoon on ESPN Nola:

GT is a job that pays more money

CWF is the most stand up guyWill likely get $4mm at GT

AAC getting worse next season, competition level won't be the same

the money is the difference maker, follow the money

2.3mm-2.5mm is AAC salaries

kattengel says counteroffer likely

Kattnegel brought up Tulane facilities

Guerry agrees that facility upgrades is a must

Guerry feels he will make decision beyond just money

Guerry points out New Orleans isn't a place for everyone

If he wants a p5 job at his age, this is the last window to do that

If it's definitively a tougher job, playing teams like Georgia every year

We will find out quickly after the championship game his decision.

Regardless they have established a culture that we will be competing for championship title regardless of the AAC composition moving forward

We have some great players coming back, but there will definitely be a step down in talent level

Guerry was surprised that the first UCF game didn't sell out, and pleasantly surprised that people got the message for the conference game

Sellout should have happened the first matchup

If GT had insisted he leave right away, he would have turned down the job. Guerry says CWF feels that strongly about the championship game.

..... So we wait til Saturday to learn our fate and stew on this for 5 more days.
uh oh I'm going to need to change to over 300 I;m now going with over 400 if we have to wait.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
uh oh I'm going to need to change to over 300 I;m now going with over 400 if we have to wait.

Nope. Got you locked in on the under....

Pay Me Pro Sports GIF by Premier Lacrosse League

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember where I saw it posted, but there is a tweet from a NO beat reporter who basically said: He knows that the leak didn't come from Fritz nor his agent. He has a strong belief that it didn't come from Batt. He believes that it came from some insiders who are in favor of Key.

Don't know how accurate his assessment is, but it pretty well matches my assumptions.
Just sad. They won’t let Batt do his job.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If Key has not been named by now, feel pretty sure we will hear it is Fritz next week.
I agree and that is a shame with comparison to Fritz. No knock against Fritz but all of his coaching has been below Power 5 level. It is a different game in the Power 5 even considering the weakness of the ACC. His age will make it tougher to connect to recruits. I also don't see the excitement keeping current team members from considering transfers. Coaching staff will be crucial to have any chance of success. It would be interesting behind the scenes who pushed this narrative, the AD or the boosters?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everything from that Tulane recap makes sense to me.

Fans thinking GT is going to get a HC for a low price and/or few years are sadly off base in terms of what the market for coaches look like at a P5 level.
We had 3 coaches come into the ACC last year.
Brent Pry's contract at VT was for 6 years, 27.5MM - starting at 4.0MM and ending at 4.5MM in yr 6.
Tony Elliot's contract at UVA was 6 years, 25.93MM- starting at 4.1MM and ending at 4.55MM in yr 6.
Duke is a private school so they do not have to disclose their contract but Mike Elko was making $2.1MM as the DC at TX A&M so I expect his contract is certainly well into the 3+MM range.

If GT hires Key I expect the best case scenario would be 5 years and 3+MM per year. Something like $17.5MM overall and that would be a real low ball type offer from GT.
A $4MM offer for Fritz would be in line with what other recent ACC hires have been for mid-to-low level ACC programs.

Just FYI, Nebraska's new contract with Matt Rhule is reportedly in the neighborhood of 8 yrs, $72MM.
WI new contract with Luke Fickell is expected to be over $6MM per year.

Based on the UVA/VT contracts I expect whoever GT ultimately signs gets a 6 yr deal - that is just sort of where the market is at right now.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
There's some chatter that former UAB coach Bill Clark is being interviewed today.
Said this in the other Board if Bill Clark is being interviewed and he is Healthy from his Back surgery he is much better, younger coach then Fritz if you aren't taking Key then I prefer Clark over Fritz.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Got you locked in on the under....

Pay Me Pro Sports GIF by Premier Lacrosse League
Ok I wasn't going to do this, but I will. I heard from my source (the young guy at the working at the QT) told me without a doubt that his younger brother age 6 heard it from his friend age 5 that his dad was drunk (you would think I would know him but I don't) and here it is so we can start a new page and stop this one
our new head coach is: Dang Lin-Wang

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ok I wasn't going to do this, but I will. I heard from my source (the young guy at the working at the QT) told me without a doubt that his younger brother age 6 heard it from his friend age 5 that his dad was drunk (you would think I would know him but I don't) and here it is so we can start a new page and stop this one
our new head coach is: Dang Lin-Wang

Season 7 Episode 3 GIF by The Big Bang Theory

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer

Typical coach/candidate speech. For example Key told reporters the same things just before he came here as Assistant Head Coach and OL. They are very crafty in parsing their words using “now” and entertaining offers through their agents so they can say that “I haven’t spoken to _____ about a job.”

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bill Clark is very intriguing. If he had not retired to get back surgery after 2021, he would be the hottest G5 name out there, probably above Chadwell. What he did at UAB is like a movie.
If Bill Clark is a realistic possibility, he immediately jumps to the top of my list (and I'll start praying that Auburn doesn't come to their senses and start pursuing him).