HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Rumor has it that is going on to some degree. Some of the money people are saying that they'll put up for a big NIL behind Key.
Why even bother with that? If the rich guys want Key so bad then just offer to pay for him. Fund his entire contract up front like donors at Mich St did for Tucker.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You must know different donors than I do. One gave $6M. The other gives $5M a year. That's big money to have to replace.

I did an analysis on Tech's contributions a few years ago. The reality is that 10 donors contribute the vast majority of the money. Even TStan said to raise money, all he had to do was make 10 phone calls.

We do not have an IPTAY or a Seminole Club. We could use one, but like I said ... a VERY small number of people give the largest bucks.

Maybe donations have come from a small number because of how GTAA has treated everyone outside of the old boys club. Food for thought.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I know one high level donor personally (business client), and he knows most of the other donors. I don't know how much he gives, but you can find him and his wife on the Golden Jacket honor roll.

He's one of the apolitical ones, and he's appalled at what's been going on.
I've been associated with 3 athletic departments and all three have the same problem. Alabama was able to chase them out, but it was NOT easy. Auburn has 3 guys that write $100 million dollar checks. One has an office in the athletic department. If you are hooked on cash, it is hard to give it up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've been associated with 3 athletic departments and all three have the same problem. Alabama was able to chase them out, but it was NOT easy. Auburn has 3 guys that write $100 million dollar checks. One has an office in the athletic department. If you are hooked on cash, it is hard to give it up.

I don't disagree with your point, my point is changing the way things have been done may end up being more beneficial for GTAA in the long run. You don't think Batt and Cabrera have talked to other donors and gauged the temperature among all of them?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
6 years of bad and 1 year of good would not make me want to hire him. But if you are willing to wait more years of bad to get to 1 good year than you will be happy with him. Remember B** L**** had one good year that didn't work out too well. I just feel Key at this time is the right pick unless there is someone we don't know about.
You are just entirely removing the context and nuance from understanding this is TULANE, the "bad years" he was putting up a couple years were some of their best ever seasons. You've gotta contextualize the job my man.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with your point, my point is changing the way things have been done may end up being more beneficial for GTAA in the long run. You don't think Batt and Cabrera have talked to other donors and gauged the temperature among all of them?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...
Wanting to make a change and being able to make a change are two different things.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wanting to make a change and being able to make a change are two different things.

Yup. You know my comment about "it gets harder before it gets easier"? That's what I was referring to. Batt and Cabrera definitely have their work cut out for them. Cabrera and Batt are supposedly working on things to move away from the high level donor dependent model, I don't know what yet, but if they're successful, it will be a very good day for GT.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know one high level donor personally (business client), and he knows most of the other donors. I don't know how much he gives, but you can find him and his wife on the Golden Jacket honor roll.

He's one of the apolitical ones, and he's appalled at what's been going on.
The big donors hired (or had some say in the hiring) Batt gave him the job of finding a new football coach. Are you saying those guys do not now want Batt to do the job? I will admit that I am not sure what "apolitical" means in this context, but maybe it means he isn't pushing for one candidate over others. So, what's going on that appalls him? Is it Batt's behavior or the behavior of other donors?

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
I think it is strange that: The GTAA is not releasing information at all. The media is "finding" some information from somewhere and posting it. Fans get upset about the information. The media retracts the information. Then fans get upset at the GTAA for screwing up the entire thing.

It appears to me that the issue is more that fans want to know every detail of what is happening, and that the news media is reporting anything whether it is accurate or not. It is possible that Batt is screwing the search, but we have zero actual information. If we as fans tune out all of the internet "information", and the news media kindof-sortof-maybe "information", it will seem a lot less like things are being mishandled.
I was wrong about Ken, the AJC etc. . You were right. I was wrong. I just didn't think Ken would run a story saying it was a done deal. Just the worst. Every news outlet ran with it. Unreal!!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Yup. You know my comment about "it gets harder before it gets easier"? That's what I was referring to. Batt and Cabrera definitely have their work cut out for them. Cabrera and Batt are supposedly working on things to move away from the high level donor dependent model, I don't know what yet, but if they're successful, it will be a very good day for GT.
We'll need 1,100 of us giving an additional $10,000 per year to make up for the two big donors that Vespidae mentioned. That's a lot giving a fair bit more.

I'd love to see the chart, but I bet the top 20 givers to the GTAA give 50% of the total. Just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

What we need is to create and fund an athletic endowment similar to what Stanford has. That's how they afforded their staffing hires in football to make them relevant again when they first hired Harbaugh. They not only had to compete with other schools for salaries, but also make sure their assistants could afford to live there, as the housing costs were astronomical. They had a $270 Million Dollar sports fund in 2003, and they are smart with money.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am taking over/under "bets" on the page count for this thread at the point Batt makes his announcement. I started this idea in my head during breakfast this morning at 290, but it probably needs to be 300. Or, higher.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The big donors hired (or had some say in the hiring) Batt gave him the job of finding a new football coach. Are you saying those guys do not now want Batt to do the job? I will admit that I am not sure what "apolitical" means in this context, but maybe it means he isn't pushing for one candidate over others. So, what's going on that appalls him? Is it Batt's behavior or the behavior of other donors?

Look at the committee that "approved" the Batt hire. There were a few donors, but for the most part it was a "rubber stamp" committee. Again, there's a reason whey Cabrera assigned someone OUTSIDE of the GTAA (interim AD Neville) to find the permanent AD.

Apolitical - doesn't take sides, and will donate to GT regardless of who's the HC or AD. There are quite a few of those type of donors.