HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What if Batt is turning over every rock and leaf to make sure GT got the right coach? What if Key is in strong consideration, but Batt is doing his job and doing his due diligence to make sure GT got the best available coach there is?

Think about 3-5 years from now. If Key doesn't pan out, would you be pissed off that Batt didn't make O'Brien/Fritz/Chadwell/whoever say "No thanks" first? Remember our last coaching search? We don't know who GT could have hired instead of Collins because it was all a fake process anyhow.

Guys (and gals), Batt and Cabrera are doing this the right way. Trust the process. You can complain after the announcement, because we're GT fans, complaining will most definitely follow. Until then, we're all just pissing in the wind.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Mainly because we've convinced ourselves that a hot G5 coach is our best chance. When we hired Bobby Ross, we stole him from fellow ACC school Maryland after he won 3 ACC championships with them. That's how far we've fallen. We sure can't convince a coach like Clawson to leave Wake, much less ACC coaches who have won conference championships, yet in our minds, we still think we are that good of a destination.

We are attractive to the right people, and that subset is G5 HCs and the occasional P5 coordinator.
I think if we had the money we could steal a P5 HC, but we either don't have the money or a very very stingy with it, not usually things anyone finds attractive in a relationship.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What if Batt is turning over every rock and leaf to make sure GT got the right coach? What if Key is in strong consideration, but Batt is doing his job and doing his due diligence to make sure GT got the best available coach there is?

Think about 3-5 years from now. If Key doesn't pan out, would you be pissed off that Batt didn't make O'Brien/Fritz/Chadwell/whoever say "No thanks" first? Remember our last coaching search? We don't know who GT could have hired instead of Collins because it was all a fake process anyhow.

Guys (and gals), Batt and Cabrera are doing this the right way. Trust the process. You can complain after the announcement, because we're GT fans, complaining will most definitely follow. Until then, we're all just pissing in the wind.
Agree 100%, however this is not a GT fans only thing. Most CFB fans love to complain,not just GT fans. I believe ADJB knos to ignore this. The main problem is boosters who read message boards, making recommendations. Is there any coach picked by boosters that has worked out?

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this is a really important point that alot of GT fans just like to pretend isn't true.

While there are only 69 P5 jobs, GT is not a highly attractive job within those 69.
GT is the smallest public school in the P5 and the 12th smallest overall in terms of undergraduate enrollment. It has a small alum/fanbase relative to most P5 schools.
It has a below average budget for a P5 school and above average debt.
It is harder to recruit at due to the type of school it is than the majority of its competitor schools. David Shaw had an interesting comment about Stanford recruiting. He said after Jr year transcripts became available Stanford usually has about 75 recruits nationally it can recruit. GT isn't quite that tight, but it is similar in that the pool it recruits from is significantly smaller than most of its competitors.

It has a divided fanbase with an 'old boys club' that provides alot of the funding but also wants alot of the say.

Realistically GT is at best a middle of the pack choice for a P5 spot and likely is lower than that, possible bottom quartile of P5 jobs right now.

GT was never going to be a spot that a 'proven' P5 coach was going to take a job at. It is a place that is likely going to have to hire a P5 assistant or G5 HC.

I feel like the biggest issue right now is possibly the internal conflicts at GT turning off coaching candidates. If candidates start to feel like the school and its fanbase are not likely to be behind his program, and not willing to open the pocketbooks to support it, then they are more likely to start second guessing whether they should take the job. Paul Johnson made that comment in his interview last week with the AJC. He said he hoped whoever GT hired, he just hoped they would get the resources necessary to compete or it won't matter who GT hires.
somehow GT has the worst of both worlds, size and fan base of Group of 5 team, but P5 strength of schedule, AND more importantly, group of 5 salary for coach and staff. It seems that we could overcome the small school issues if we could throw power 5 money at a coach, but even with ACC$$ we somehow don't have $5-6m/yr to offer someone. That is what is comes down to. We would be attractive at $5-6m/year but at $3-$4m, Group of 5 coaches will stay making $2-3m or more and be successful until the "right" P5 gig arrives. Maybe Key is the answer to this issue. I would still want to spend whatever it takes to get Deion.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
somehow GT has the worst of both worlds, size and fan base of Group of 5 team, but P5 strength of schedule, AND more importantly, group of 5 salary for coach and staff. It seems that we could overcome the small school issues if we could throw power 5 money at a coach, but even with ACC$$ we somehow don't have $5-6m/yr to offer someone. That is what is comes down to. We would be attractive at $5-6m/year but at $3-$4m, Group of 5 coaches will stay making $2-3m or more and be successful until the "right" P5 gig arrives. Maybe Key is the answer to this issue. I would still want to spend whatever it takes to get Deion.
Luke Fickell was making $3.4M at Cincinnati and built a competitive program. I don't think Tech has any illusion to become a factory, but to rather, to be competitive. We CAN do that.

Offer Key $1.5M and a boatload of incentives that would get him to $3.5M if successful. After 4 years, he can renew at a higher base rate.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Luke Fickell was making $3.4M at Cincinnati and built a competitive program. I don't think Tech has any illusion to become a factory, but to rather, to be competitive. We CAN do that.

Offer Key $1.5M and a boatload of incentives that would get him to $3.5M if successful. After 4 years, he can renew at a higher base rate.

And if he is really successful we can update his contract at the end of Year 2.

We need NIL money. We need $ for coordinators. We need to hire some better 'consultants' to manage recruiting and 'analysts' to do game prep re-work (scouting, etc.)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And if he is really successful we can update his contract at the end of Year 2.

We need NIL money. We need $ for coordinators. We need to hire some better 'consultants' to manage recruiting and 'analysts' to do game prep re-work (scouting, etc.)

If the "old boys club" REALLY want Key, make them put their $$$ where their egos are: Commit some serious money toward assistant coaching salaries, giant NIL pot and not just for Key but enough to fund it for years, money for analysts, money for a recruiting staff, and guarantee Key's buyout if he fails.

If they want Key, they can have him for a price. Otherwise, get out of the way and let Batt do his job.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
The AD may not want to listen to his big donors. He better listen to the players they have been hell with Collins and were sold on fake platitudes and put thru BS and then Key took over a true GT guy and really did stablize and change culture. They realized that Collins garbage was all just smoke and mirrors and Key was the real deal in comparison. They been pulling for him and most other hires that dont muster obvious understanding will kick off a major exodus

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If the "old boys club" REALLY want Key, make them put their $$$ where their egos are: Commit some serious money toward assistant coaching salaries, giant NIL pot and not just for Key but enough to fund it for years, money for analysts, money for a recruiting staff, and guarantee Key's buyout if he fails.

If they want Key, they can have him for a price. Otherwise, get out of the way and let Batt do his job.
Who do you think paid for the new locker rooms? Or the performance center at the Pavilion? Donors pay for almost all of it.

Chase away the checkbooks, and Tech is s-c-r-e-w-e-d.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If we do go with Key, I hope we offer him a four to five year contract that is equitable in total compensation for being a P5 coach, but with an extremely low buyout for being fired due to poor performance.

Regardless of who we hire as head coach, I also hope that we invest significant money to hire top notch assistants. We need to double the pool of money that is paid to assistants.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

Rumor has it that is going on to some degree. Some of the money people are saying that they'll put up for a big NIL behind Key.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
  1. I don't understand the Sagarin love in football here. Yes, 25 years ago, it was the best thing out there. Now, we have multiple better options. It's simple, though.
  2. If you're into the stats, it looks like we got better when Key took over. We also look better on the eye test, even if you include games like Miami and UVA. Even if Key still loses to Clemson, Ole Miss, and UCF, it's a fair and reasonable argument that the games are a lot closer with him than with Collins.
  3. We underperformed in our first four games--even Western Carolina. It's not just that we lost--we were a lot less competitive than we should have been. Also, WCU was a "get healthy" or "breather" game that should have left us in good shape to win against UCF.
  4. FEI usually gives a game-by-game rating during the offseason. I think we'll see a bump after Key takes over when those stats are out.
  5. There's still the question of whether Key would have done better than one of the other coaches we're looking at. There's a rally-around-the flag effect with an IHC, so he had that going for him. But he was short one position coach when he took over, and then a second when we cut loose our RB coach. Filling two positions mid-season is less than ideal. In several ways, he had more constraints than a normal head coach. I give him credit for a good job in season. Most interim coaches don't do as well as he did.
  6. That doesn't excuse the UVA and Miami and FSU losses though. We looked bad in those games (at least on offense and our punting unit). UVA, we weren't ready. Both games were similar in that we counted on an injured starting QB that maybe shouldn't have started that game.
These are out now, and just missing UGA

Georgia Tech 2022 Game Ratings​

Wk
Opponent
R
Final
NG Final
GR
Pct
Rk
OGR
Pct
Rk
DGR
Pct
Rk
SGR
Pct
Rk
1​
Clemson​
L​
10-34​
-.45​
.281​
947​
-.68​
.285​
943​
.34​
.631​
486​
-.16​
.171​
1092​
3​
Ole Miss​
L​
0-42
0-35​
-1.40​
.046​
1257​
-1.78​
.041​
1264​
-1.14​
.160​
1107​
-.10​
.269​
964​
4​
UCF​
L​
10-27​
-.22​
.394​
799​
-.51​
.344​
864​
.97​
.828​
227​
-.53​
.013​
1301​
5​
Pittsburgh​
W​
26-21​
.38​
.683​
418​
.14​
.546​
599​
.23​
.597​
531​
.19​
.800​
263​
6​
Duke​
W​
23-20​
.32​
.655​
455​
.04​
.520​
633​
1.66​
.951​
65​
-.36​
.039​
1267​
8​
Virginia​
L​
9-16
9-16​
-.52​
.256​
980​
-1.89​
.030​
1279​
.43​
.666​
440​
.37​
.949​
67​
9​
Florida State​
L​
10-34​
-.29​
.355​
850​
-.81​
.241​
1001​
-.29​
.406​
783​
.21​
.819​
238​
10​
Virginia Tech​
W​
28-27​
-.38​
.314​
904​
-.33​
.397​
795​
.36​
.639​
476​
-.30​
.064​
1233​
11​
Miami​
L​
7-28​
-1.26​
.061​
1238​
-1.33​
.112​
1171​
-1.71​
.080​
1213​
.35​
.942​
77​
12​
North Carolina​
W​
21-17​
.36​
.673​
431​
-.60​
.313​
906​
1.82​
.961​
52​
-.17​
.156​
1113​

FEI removes FCS games so no WCU. Also, considering the SOS of the first three games it seems a bit disingenuous to do straight averages, but I'll do it anyways
CGC
Total: -0.69
Offense: -0.99
Defense: 0.06

CBK
Total: -0.20
Offense: -0.68
Defense: 0.36

The main difference is we played positively against three of our opponents Pitt, Duke, and UNC. The duds were pretty equally bad.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think if we had the money we could steal a P5 HC, but we either don't have the money or a very very stingy with it, not usually things anyone finds attractive in a relationship.

I think it's a combination of not having the money/resources to pay for appropriate staffing in addition to the head coach and the perceived gap that has only widened between the factory schools and us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Who do you think paid for the new locker rooms? Or the performance center at the Pavilion? Donors pay for almost all of it.

Chase away the checkbooks, and Tech is s-c-r-e-w-e-d.

GT has more donors than "the old boys club". A lot of the other major donors have been unhappy with the "old boys club" for a long time now because of how much influence they had inside the GTAA.

If you think a small group of donors paid for all of the capital improvements and projects over the years you're sorely mistaken. The biggest donations to GT have come from donors that aren't "activists" and just want GT to do well. You'd be surprised at how much support Batt and Cabrera will get once they clean GTAA of the old ways.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
GT has more donors than "the old boys club". A lot of the other major donors have been unhappy with the "old boys club" for a long time now because of how much influence they had inside the GTAA.

If you think a small group of donors paid for all of the capital improvements and projects over the years you're sorely mistaken. The biggest donations to GT have come from donors that aren't "activists" and just want GT to do well. You'd be surprised at how much support Batt and Cabrera will get once they clean GTAA of the old ways.
You must know different donors than I do. One gave $6M. The other gives $5M a year. That's big money to have to replace.

I did an analysis on Tech's contributions a few years ago. The reality is that 10 donors contribute the vast majority of the money. Even TStan said to raise money, all he had to do was make 10 phone calls.

We do not have an IPTAY or a Seminole Club. We could use one, but like I said ... a VERY small number of people give the largest bucks.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You must know different donors than I do. One gave $6M. The other gives $5M a year. That's big money to have to replace.

I know one high level donor personally (business client), and he knows most of the other donors. I don't know how much he gives, but you can find him and his wife on the Golden Jacket honor roll.

He's one of the apolitical ones, and he's appalled at what's been going on.