HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
I am absolutely flabbergasted as to how the GTAA plans to market this. I don't see a clear strategy for that.
Which surprises me the most about this hire. Batt supposedly a money raising wizard makes a hire that pisses off the big time donors and underwhelms the normal donors. I was never a Deion guy, but can you imagine the money we could have raised in a couple years even if it was a unmitigated disaster, would would have had dollars and eyeballs. This doesn’t get either, until maybe 2-3 years down the line if things go well

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
This is where I am at right now. I guess I just don’t see this as PAC and ADJB showing a deep and resounding commitment to deploy our resources to get the best for our football program. He may well be a great coach here - if it’s official - and I’ll support it.

I’m also curious to hear the director’s cut backstory on how it all shook out. He seems a more expansive “program stabilizing” hire than Key and I don’t love that he made it this long without a P5 stop as a HC..

Either way, I will be out front pulling for support as we prepare for our 2023 campaign.
I think the first thing they wanted was to get out of everything dealing with Gee-Off. Then I suspect the donors doing their thing and JBatt and AC not liking whats going on. so they are going to do what they want and put their stamp on the program.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Which surprises me the most about this hire. Batt supposedly a money raising wizard makes a hire that pisses off the big time donors and underwhelms the normal donors. I was never a Deion guy, but can you imagine the money we could have raised in a couple years even if it was a unmitigated disaster, would would have had dollars and eyeballs. This doesn’t get either, until maybe 2-3 years down the line if things go well
This move is very reminiscent of Tin Cup trying to hit the green in two when he should have layed up. It's what the youngsters do when they are trying to make their way in the world. I hope this hire proves this old goat wrong. But, given my experience, I doubt that it will.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
FromtheRumbleSeat on Fritz.

In our database of FBS coaches spanning 2000-2021, we evaluate every head coach by looking at a team’s average Expected Points per play in the years before the coach arrived and then during the tenure. Combining offense with defense and before with during, we can get a summary metric for each coach’s net impact on the job. Out of 370 head coaching tenures, Fritz’s Georgia Southern stop ranks 11th, and his Tulane tenure ranked 57th before this season’s metrics are included.

I wonder if Tulane's QB (Michael Pratt) would be interested in transferring. He should have 2 years left and has been outstanding at Tulane.
If we keep ZP I don't think we need to have Pratt portal over.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Which surprises me the most about this hire. Batt supposedly a money raising wizard makes a hire that pisses off the big time donors and underwhelms the normal donors. I was never a Deion guy, but can you imagine the money we could have raised in a couple years even if it was an unmitigated disaster, would would have had dollars and eyeballs. This doesn’t get either, until maybe 2-3 years down the line if things go well
Per a post by @Techster … we should all appreciate what Batt is doing with this hire - if that intel is accurate. The AD should operate and make decisions based on what’s best for the program (a la the big time programs) - not just answer to a handful of disgruntled cry babies donors.

They should want what’s best for the program and get over themselves. And Fritz is a good coach that will get us back to a stable program (I’ll bet anyone that we are bowling next year if Fritz is the coach.

Fritz > Chadwell (+ his whole staff) … don’t @ me.

I would’ve loved key, but I get wanting to hit that reset button. Especially with the infighting within the ADept + donors.

Also to add … some people need to have more realistic opinions of where we are as a program today.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
FromtheRumbleSeat on Fritz.

In our database of FBS coaches spanning 2000-2021, we evaluate every head coach by looking at a team’s average Expected Points per play in the years before the coach arrived and then during the tenure. Combining offense with defense and before with during, we can get a summary metric for each coach’s net impact on the job. Out of 370 head coaching tenures, Fritz’s Georgia Southern stop ranks 11th, and his Tulane tenure ranked 57th before this season’s metrics are included.

I wonder if Tulane's QB (Michael Pratt) would be interested in transferring. He should have 2 years left and has been outstanding at Tulane.
They have a running back who is also excellent. Just saying.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Except he may want to retire in 2-3 years. This isn’t stepping stone worry. This is more of a we will likely be hiring another coach in less than 6 years and we are ok with it
Maybe the short runway is a feature, not a problem.

Can’t personally imagine a turnaround at 62, but that’s me. I did a startup turnaround in my 40s, no way at 62. By 62 I had zero patience (maybe a bit like CPJ) which is probably typical. But some folks keep pushing to 70+. We’ll see. Mack Brown is 71.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
His choice in ice cream is exactly why people doubt KG's wisdom. :)

Does your meanness know no bounds?

Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Unlike Collins, Fritz actually has credibility in building a program. He’s sorta like Paul Johnson in terms of he’s slowly climbed up through the ranks of college football. He’s gone from D2 to FCS to FBS, to G5, and if we hire him, P5.
You do understand he has a losing record in 7 years at Tulane and is 62 . If takes him 7 years at Tech, we may have 500 season ticket holders.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about it, the more I like the hire. He is a solid coach and Batt is getting us competitive and sound. I think Key could have done well but we Batt went with a proven coach that can build a program.