HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I will support whomever we hire.

I had my concerns about every single name mentioned.

But some of the negative reactions here are just silly. NONE of us on the outside have any idea who the good guys or bad guys are in this whole affair. Having been involved in high level corporate power struggles in my own career, only the people very close to it really have all the facts. Certainly most internet message boards don’t.

Only time will tell if Fritz and the new direction @Techster refers to in his post will be the dawning of a new day in GT Athletics. But at least it’s not going to be more of the same.

I for one am exctied to see how this plays out.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
If we needed to go cheap, put Key on a 3yr incentive laden contract. Play for a new hire in 2025. Key probably wins us 18-20 more games and we play the HC lottery when we're a bit more stable.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I begged folks not to get caught up in emotion with Key. Smells like folks ignored me yet again.

A solid point. However, people ARE people. IF this rumour is true, then the AD and President failed in their mission. We were promised more than this iirc. I was okay with Key getting passed over but not by a guy with Fritz's resume. The AD and President have failed bigtime. IF this rumour is true,

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A solid point. However, people ARE people. IF this rumour is true, then the AD and President failed in their mission. We were promised more than this iirc. I was okay with Key getting passed over but not by a guy with Fritz's resume. The AD and President have failed bigtime. IF this rumour is true,

Can't make somebody take our money. And can't let a guy walk in and bend us over a barrel either.

A debatable hire was always the most likely outcome. Lest we not forget the 'whelming' names from our past 2-3 HC searches. Why are people so surprised here?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
My $0.02 (which is worth zero) on Willie Fritz:

Fritz is a VERY good coach. The only negative I see with Fritz is his age. Talk about a guy that's had to earn his way up every rung on the ladder, and Fritz is that guy. He'd still be at GA Southern winning a lot of games if GA Southern would have just matched Tulane's offer. Fritz did not want to leave GA Southern...but he wanted security after all of the years coaching at smaller schools.

Fritz's experiment with Chip Long was his way of modernizing his offense. Will it have worked out in the long run? No one knows, but watching Long's offense here I would say GT did Fritz a favor by hiring him away. There's no way Fritz is retaining Long.

This year, Tulane's OFEI is #38, while his DFEI is #15. I think Fritz has finally gotten Tulane to hum, and now he's about to leave to coach us. Fritz has the potential to have GT finish in the top 4 of the ACC every year once he gets this program going...and if given the time, he'll get us there. Fritz is one of those coaches that is a "schematic advantage" type coach. He doesn't need the best recruiting classes to compete. Remember how he almost beat us in 2014 on our own field? That 2014 team he almost beat on our own field went on to win 11 games and ended up ranked in the top 10. That was Fritz's first season at GA Southern. That's the kind of coach GT needs.

This isn't a "sexy" hire, but it's a hire that may prove to be a VERY good one.
At 62 he doesn't have much time.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Why? Because you don’t like it?
Because it proves absolutely nothing. “This guy over here didn’t do that well at x school but he’s doing well at this school”. It’s like telling everyone to play the lottery because this one guy won a million dollars…

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bc the words of the President and the new AD are not in alignment with their actions. If you are going to not go for a home run then Key was the obvious choice.

Name a big-time school that had him on their radar. I'll wait.

If folks think Key is a homerun hire, they're dead a** wrong.

And, if im wrong, he'll be snapped up pretty quick. If he's not, some folks need to come eat a pound of crow.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Weirdly enough, this supposed Air Fritz flight from NOLA to PDK has continued to be delayed through out the afternoon

2503D14C-8157-4E50-9BD3-0D73C77DE704.png

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why is Key the obvious choice? People on here act like he was a can’t miss hire. If we are any other P5 team are we considering Key?
You are misconstruing my words. Either get a "brand name" coach. Orif you are content with bargain hunting, give it to Key. he's earned it ....over a guy named Wille Fritz. Who is fired up over this decision? I ask this honestly.

herb

Helluva Engineer

And, if im wrong, he'll be snapped up pretty quick. If he's not, some folks need to come eat a pound of crow.
I think he was saying if you aren’t going for the home run hire, Key was the choice, not that key was a home run

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I did not refer to him as a home run hire. Reread my post. and then we will talk.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, one things for damn sure if Fritz is the guy, we wont have to fret over stepping stone possibility if he pans out.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
You are misconstruing my words. Either get a "brand name" coach. Orif you are content with bargain hunting, give it to Key. he's earned it ....over a guy named Wille Fritz. Who is fired up over this decision? I ask this honestly.
Why should anyone be fired up over keeping a guy who was on a staff that never won more than 5 games here? I really think Fritz brings some stability and has a lot more experience than Key. I imagine that played a huge part in Fritz getting the job.