HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
And the loss of Nesbitt against VT?

Did that mean that our offense was really predicated on the quarterback?
Tevin Washington had 125 yards of offense running/passing himself in that one coming in cold and the team still had 426 total. Then the team had 409 yards the next week against Miami. 410 against Duke. 512 against UGA.

Some tough losses in there but they didn't stop being able to move the ball. And that team lost to Kansas long before that too, it had some holes especially defensively.

The pitch for Chadwell - and overall I believe it, I voted for him in the other thread - is that it'll be easier to find and coach up players in his system than in others. Falling on your face with QB2 does raise some valid questions, IMO.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Tevin Washington had 125 yards of offense running/passing himself in that one coming in cold and the team still had 426 total. Then the team had 409 yards the next week against Miami. 410 against Duke. 512 against UGA.

Some tough losses in there but they didn't stop being able to move the ball.
We scored 10 against Miami and 7 against Air Force in the bowl game.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
How is Key the low risk hire? He has next to zero HC experience, is heavily tied to the previous coach, and the unit he was responsible for has been arguably the worst part of the whole team for 4 seasons under his watch.

I like the guy, I'm good with him as the next HC provided we can work out a favorable contract to start off with, but I just don't see how you think he is low risk.
No clue what he is talking about either. Low Risk hire? I think half the people on here try their best, but we we’ve got some crazy ones today. From low risk hire to BOB having one eye on the NFL to people talking nonsensical poker hands in relation to a coach. Whew

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
We scored 10 against Miami and 7 against Air Force in the bowl game.
And? You don't think PJ's offenses being able to continue to move the ball even with backups (see also Jaybo Shaw in 2008) is a good sign of Johnson's offensive skill even if the points weren't always there? You're gonna overlook 13 with Nesbitt against a 6-7 Clemson team to harp on 10 against a 7-6 Miami team with Tevin? It wasn't Johnson's best team, but it also wasn't going from 430yards a game with QB1 to 183 yards with QB2. If that were all just on the QB, that's not a great look for the coach. Saw in the other thread that there were a lot of losses on the OL too, which makes a lot more sense, though.

The bowl game was bad but bowl games are often different beasts.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Who? Sims and Gibbs? Gibbs is not a disappointment. He’s very talented and is going to the League.

Sims has the skill and talent but was constantly plagued by injury/bad playcalling/bad oline. That would make any qb look bad no matter how good they were in hs.

I disagree with this take.

I also disagree with hating on students just to justify not liking a coach.
Sorry I guess that’s just how me feels about it.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
And? You don't think PJ's offenses being able to continue to move the ball even with backups (see also Jaybo Shaw in 2008) is a good sign of Johnson's offensive skill even if the points weren't always there? You're gonna overlook 13 with Nesbitt against a 6-7 Clemson team to harp on 10 against a 7-6 Miami team with Tevin? It wasn't Johnson's best team, but it also wasn't going from 430yards a game with QB1 to 183 yards with QB2. If that were all just on the QB, that's not a great look for the coach. Saw in the other thread that there were a lot of losses on the OL too, which makes a lot more sense, though.

The bowl game was bad but bowl games are often different beasts.
I don't even know WTF you're arguing. Help me understand. Are you saying Paul Johnson's offense didn't matter who the QB was but Jamey Chadwell's offense does?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't even know WTF you're arguing. Help me understand. Are you saying Paul Johnson's offense didn't matter who the QB was but Jamey Chadwell's offense does?
I don't know what was so unclear here:

"Getting held under 200 yards is definitely concerning to me. I’m a fan, but one thing Johnson’s teams always did pretty well was be fairly robust against a single injury, other than the non-option 3rd-string Booker against Gardner Webb in year 1."

I like Chadwell because of the approach to maximize talent without needing 5* types that are going to be at the top of everyone's list, including places with way more money. Johnson is a natural comparison point since he coached here and generally stayed above-average offensively through many different QBs.

If the only thing difference today was the first string QB being out, that's somewhat surprising - you don't expect the backup to be as good as the starter, but you don't expect to suddenly be inept.

If the offense truly relied that much on a single player to be successful, that's a pretty big potential flag. But with OL issues too, things become a lot more understandable.

Edit: to summarize, I think "Every team does worse when QB1 is out" is a glib and misleading response due both to the magnitude of the disparity and due to the specifics of why someone like Chadwell could be a very good fit for a school like GT.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Our four wins over FBS opponents were by an average of 3.25 points. Our FBS losses under Key (and Geoff) were all 3+ score differentials except UVA. We played some good parts of football games against the tougher opponents, unfortunately football is a 60 minute game, and not 15 or 30. Our schedule was tough, 5 of the 7 losses were to current top 25 teams. We also have wins over Pitt (currently 28-0 against Miami at half), UNC, and Duke, which all have 8-9 wins. VT, UVA, Miami were the weak sisters this year, will all fail to qualify for a bowl, and unfortunately we went 1-2 against them.

When I look at the data, I get the sense we are slightly improved from Collins. We managed to get the wins in the close games that he almost never got, but we still got beat badly a lot. If Key didn't say all the right things and have such an obvious genuine love and passion for Georgia Tech, if he didn't do all the non-football things right, would we still want him as badly? Imagine if Key acted and dressed exactly like Collins, continued to do pressers like Collins, etc, but has the exact same football performance we just got from him, would the call to have him be HC be this strong? Would anyone want him to be head coach?