HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you why you think the team, especially the defense since you pulled out some quotes (nicely done, BTW), is playing so much better now that Collins is gone?

For starters, I don't think the defense is playing that much better than the first four games. Not having Thomas miss time has helped but comparing when Thomas was in it feels about the same. Sure the Ole Miss game was bad. So was the FSU game.

From last year, the new defensive coaches have certainly helped, especially in the secondary. Also, imo, people also tend to overvalue week to week coaching and underrate preparation coaching. Collins having a more direct say in preparation in the offseason also probably played a role as last year it seemed like our secondary was trying to accomplish two different things a lot of the time rather than complimenting each other. To me that tracks with Collins being less hands on, on that side and getting better when he has been more hands on. Once Collins was gone, Thacker likely continued what was changed and kept it going. Good on him for learning. Keion White being available has certainly helped (I believe he missed most of last year). We're not a pug and play defense. We've seen what happens when Charlie goes out. So the addition of one really disruptive DLman makes a huge difference. I think we've also been lucky when it comes to turnovers. Similar to how 2014 was an aberration in that regard for Roof, I'm not sold what we're doing this year when it comes to turnovers is indicative of the way things will be going forward. Turnovers are just too volatile to rely on. The pressure is a better sign of improvement, and I think having White is big in that regard not only from his own production but from the attention he draws away others. That's the biggest hope for the future to me as we have some younger guys coming into their own that should help that.

You don’t think the OL numbers make sense but again, to me, there are a number of factors involved and I do NOT absolve Key of responsibility for the problems with the OL. I do believe Collins had a hand in that problem as well but clearly the OL hasn’t improved as much as the defense has.

The OL numbers don't make sense for the narrative that Collins forced transfers over young guys. We effectively brought in 4 OL transfers that were finished products designed to help right away. One only played in 2019 before we had any real chance to recruit. One played significantly in 2020 and 2021 and another in 2021. The last was a back up. Our other transfer OL were guys with multiple years left of development time. Meanwhile we brought in 6 freshmen in the first class. Then the story changed that Key wanted to process Johnson's OL and bring in 12 freshmen Olmen because we were good at the other positions. For one, I don't buy that nonsense anyways, but two, if true makes Key seem worse than it does Collins. Processing players is a scummy move and loading up on 12 OL when we had dire need on both sides elsewhere is just nonsensical. And this is from the same poster that was the driving force behind the "Collins had his hands in everything and is the cause of all the problems" narrative that has taken off.

I’m not as worried about the fact that Key didn’t get the OL better as it pertains to his candidacy for the HC position because it appears as if the inability to get the OL to be where they need to be as a position coach isn’t impacting his ability to get the team to play as a team more often than they have in any fo the prior seasons.

Okay, let me put out a hypothetical. What if the team is playing more as a team because there is no longer two voices at the top who have differing views of the way thing should be run pulling them in different directions? Sure it could be just a terrible boss at the top keeping everyone down. It could also be a second in command who feels he knows better undermining things as well. I have no clue what was going on behind the scenes. Just the product put on the field. And the product sucked. I'm glad Collins is gone, although I think it was a mistake to fire him when we did but that's a different topic. I'm in favor of cleaning house and while I have my preference there are a number of coaches I'd be fine with (almost any of the rest talked about really). Also, I feel we should clean house but could see the argument for keeping some who were in influential in the units that helped us improve this year. However, the last position coach I would retain would be the OL coach. Now maybe he's better as a HC than OL coach or OC. Let him go somewhere and actually prove it and if we have an opening in 5 or 6 years maybe then he'll be a good choice. And no, I don't think a .500 record against a partial schedule avoiding some of the tougher opponents is proof of that. If Long had taken over and we did the same exact thing all of nobody would be calling for him to be hired.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
In an effort for 200 pages and not wanting to figure out how to set up a poll on my phone, do you guys think we have an announcement on Monday the 28th of November, or on Monday the 5th of December?

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Rusty Mansell from 247/CBS Sports told the “Steak” Shapiro audience this morning that his sources are claiming Jamey Chadwell will be announced as the new GT HC after the game on Saturday.
That sort of makes sense given Key‘s response to the coaching situation from Tuesday’s Press conference. If this is true, he’s already been told that he’s not being considered.

slugboy

Staff member
Rusty Mansell from 247/CBS Sports told the “Steak” Shapiro audience this morning that his sources are claiming Jamey Chadwell will be announced as the new GT HC after the game on Saturday.

Way to take one for the team and listen through that show for info.

====================

It’s not going to happen, but at the end of this process I would like to hear how the hire went down. If it’s “we hired the best executive search firm around, they built a list of 5000 reasonable possibilities, filtered the list based on our culture and strategic direction, and that narrowed down the candidates to the 7 candidates that everybody was talking about” then I wouldn’t be shocked.

I’d also like to hear a new strategic direction for the AA that’s not generic and not weak. It shouldn’t be indistinguishable from Arkansas’ and Colorado’s🤞

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm skeptical of this because other sources have indicated that formal interviews have yet to happen. Batt and Chadwell('s agent) may well have a framework for a possible agreement hammered out. Chadwell may be Batt's first choice. But I don't believe any final commitment has been made yet. I'd guess Chadwell, Key and others TBD will get interviews over the next two weeks after seasons are over. A hire and announcement would come in early December.

I think Rod is betting on the odds on favorite to get to claim 'the scoop'. He and (especially) Quinlan seem to do that a lot. Then when it doesn't pan out they claim they weren't actually wrong, but something else happened.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Way to take one for the team and listen through that show for info.

====================

It’s not going to happen, but at the end of this process I would like to hear how the hire went down. If it’s “we hired the best executive search firm around, they built a list of 5000 reasonable possibilities, filtered the list based on our culture and strategic direction, and that narrowed down the candidates to the 7 candidates that everybody was talking about” then I wouldn’t be shocked.

I’d also like to hear a new strategic direction for the AA that’s not generic and not weak. It shouldn’t be indistinguishable from Arkansas’ and Colorado’s🤞
I guess we can tell you now. We set up an anonymous team of researchers, without even their knowledge. We assembled them virtually and peppered the group with facts, statistics, assumptions and opinions by cleverly placed “moderators” if you will. We observed and noted their painstaking evaluation of current candidates, former successes and former failures both at GT and other programs. When the time was right, we cleverly tricked them into selecting our top candidate from the field of candidates they selected themselves Results Here

It was thorough, exhaustive, and free. Thank you for your collective efforts.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm skeptical of this because other sources have indicated that formal interviews have yet to happen. Batt and Chadwell('s agent) may well have a framework for a possible agreement hammered out. Chadwell may be Batt's first choice. But I don't believe any final commitment has been made yet. I'd guess Chadwell, Key and others TBD will get interviews over the next two weeks after seasons are over. A hire and announcement would come in early December.

I think Rod is betting on the odds on favorite to get to claim 'the scoop'. He and (especially) Quinlan seem to do that a lot. Then when it doesn't pan out they claim they weren't actually wrong, but something else happened.

There's been rumors that Batt has had "his guy" for a bit now. In this day and age "formal interviews" are not what they were in the past.

From what I've been told, and what's been confirmed in two separate articles about GT's search for a HFC, Batt and Cabrera have not talked to anyone about the search outside of themselves and Parker Executive. This is the most radio silence from a HFC search ever. If Mansell or Quinlan are naming names, it's because they're trying to read the tea leaves, or its possible it's coming from a candidate's camp. Usually high level donors are included in the discussion, at least under Stansbury/Bobinski/Radakovich, because of their contributions and expected future contributions. In this case Cabrera was REALLY turned off by the old boys club that led to Stansbury and CGC being hired that he wanted to make sure GT got the best guy available and not the preference of a few donors.

There will be a board meeting once the final guy is chosen. There are some donors on the board and they understand Cabrera's wishes for discretion. As soon as it passes with the board we'll start hearing more...very similar to how it went down with hiring Batt.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There's been rumors that Batt has had "his guy" for a bit now. In this day and age "formal interviews" are not what they were in the past.

From what I've been told, and what's been confirmed in two separate articles about GT's search for a HFC, Batt and Cabrera have not talked to anyone about the search outside of themselves and Parker Executive. This is the most radio silence from a HFC search ever. If Mansell or Quinlan are naming names, it's because they're trying to read the tea leaves, or its possible it's coming from a candidate's camp. Usually high level donors are included in the discussion, at least under Stansbury/Bobinski/Radakovich, because of their contributions and expected future contributions. In this case Cabrera was REALLY turned off by the old boys club that led to Stansbury and CGC being hired that he wanted to make sure GT got the best guy available and not the preference of a few donors.

There will be a board meeting once the final guy is chosen. There are some donors on the board and they understand Cabrera's wishes for discretion. As soon as it passes with the board we'll start hearing more...very similar to how it went down with hiring Batt.
It's very embarrassing for the AA when very public interviews take place and the potential new coach declines the offer. I am certain Batt and Cabrera want to avoid the spectacle of Chadwell (or someone else) leaving the Edge Center and getting a raise at their current school. I would imagine they will try to have whatever deal is made to be a lock. And not just a handshake and promise to sign later.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
They have the money to hire who they want and you say they want Key out of all the possibilities?
Brent Key makes the most sense for UAB. Brent has deep ties to the south for recruiting, specifically the state of Alabama, Brent is from Birmingham, worked under a well respected coach within the state, has HC experience, etc. Brent is the perfect hire for UAB.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Given how much the players seem to love Key and how much harder they seem to play for him, it’s really hard not to be all-in on him. I’m glad Batt has a certain level of distance and detachment from the football team so that he can make the decision without being swayed as much by emotions. If indeed his top candidate is Chadwell, I hope Batt keeps a good relationship with Brent Key in case we need another head coach in the future. I also hope that in that scenario Batt makes Chadwell truly evaluate who gets to follow him from Coastal and give a pitch on why each staff member will be successful at Tech competing against P5 teams on the field and the recruiting trail.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My take at this point is that I will be happy if:

A. Key is retained
B. Chadwell is the choice
C. JBatt wows us with an unknown name that pumps energy into the fanbase

I would still be happy, but maybe more skeptical if:

D. BOB is the choice
E. Any of Mullen, Malzhan, or Houston is the choice

I would not be happy, but will still cheer for the team, if:

F. Coaches with known ethical or legal issues are the choice (Freeze, Briles, etc.)

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Does anyone else get the feeling that we will get someone that is NOT Key, Chadwell, Deion, others that have been named frequently? I am starting to think that we are going to be as surprised by the HFC hire as we were about Batt.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
It's very embarrassing for the AA when very public interviews take place and the potential new coach declines the offer. I am certain Batt and Cabrera want to avoid the spectacle of Chadwell (or someone else) leaving the Edge Center and getting a raise at their current school. I would imagine they will try to have whatever deal is made to be a lock. And not just a handshake and promise to sign later.

They don’t interview at the schools anymore for this reason. They often fly to a separate city, like Atlanta or Dallas, or somewhere like that, and meet at an airport hotel, so that no one knows about it. Parker is based in Atlanta, so they usually use a hotel near the Atlanta airport. Makes for easy access for everyone. May or may not be the case in this search since we are Atlanta based as well.