HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think for me if it comes down to Chadwell or Key the only question I have is - what does your staff look like? I think they both could be successful - in their own ways. what if Key can bring in a staff that is >>> Chadwells?

Guys like Kirby and Saban are only as good as their overall coaching staff is.
I’ve seen this thrown around in here but why are we assuming that a guy who has never built a staff before will bring in a better staff than a guy with several years of successful head coaching experience?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen this thrown around in here but why are we assuming that a guy who has never built a staff before will bring in a better staff than a guy with several years of successful head coaching experience?
I dunno. I had never built a staff before but took over a $500 million dollar business from a guy with 20 years experience who ran it into the ground. Dodd was an assistant who had never built a staff before turning in one of the greatest winning percentages of all time.

Better to decide on where the bus is going first before you worry about who is on board.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Au Contraire. Saban grew to hate Kiffin. He was banging donors wives. Alabama fans, OTH ... Loved him! Still do. That's why he is the frontrunner to replace Saban.
I have enough Alabama family and friends to know he was not universally loved. Reddit threads were also not always in his favor. I saw quite a few people celebrating his departure.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have enough Alabama family and friends to know he was not universally loved. Reddit threads were also not always in his favor. I saw quite a few people celebrating his departure.
Anecdotal evidence. Kiffin was a brilliant, if undisciplined, OC. But he has a LOT of support ... he's not only a player's coach, but ... has a damn exciting approach to the game. Alabama football has not been the same since he left. And there are a plenty of wives in Tuscaloosa pining for the return of Joey Freshwater.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
One guy has plenty of experience and connections with P5 experience. Another top candidate is rumored to be bringingthe majority of a G5 staff with limited P5 experience … which is one of my main concerns with this particular candidate.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Anecdotal evidence. Kiffin was a brilliant, if undisciplined, OC. But he has a LOT of support ... he's not only a player's coach, but ... has a damn exciting approach to the game. Alabama football has not been the same since he left. And there are a plenty of wives in Tuscaloosa pining for the return of Joey Freshwater.
Kiffin led bama offense to offense FEI of 4, 20, and 8 ranking

BOB has led them to an offense FEI of 2 and 20.

Kiffin was a great OC. I also know he was not universally loved. BOB has so far been a great OC and idiot Bama fans are about to run him off. I can’t wait for Bama fans to cannibalize themselves. They’ve been obnoxious for years.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
One guy has plenty of experience and connections with P5 experience. Another top candidate is rumored to be bringingthe majority of a G5 staff with limited P5 experience … which is one of my main concerns with this particular candidate.
It totally bombed at Auburn. If you want someone to succeed at P5, hire with P5 experience.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin led bama offense to offense FEI of 4, 20, and 8 ranking

BOB has led them to an offense FEI of 2 and 20.

Kiffin was a great OC. I also know he was not universally loved. BOB has so far been a great OC and idiot Bama fans are about to run him off. I can’t wait for Bama fans to cannibalize themselves. They’ve been obnoxious for years.
Tide fans are not running BOB off. Saban is. He thinks BOB is too conservative.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Brent key knows people everywhere across the country. He is very well respected across the CFB coaching industry due to his time at UCF and Bama. He has plenty of connections to build a staff. Names I’ve heard that could get a call from key if he got the job and decided to move on from Thacker: Charles Kelly and Pruitt. Key had a level on interest in Pruitt when Mike daniels resigned and opened up a on the field spot. Key also has connections to Glenn Schuman, the CO-DC at UGA, many people believe he’s the brains behind the uga defense there and would be an outstanding DC for any school.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Key has been in and around big time college football for decades. He worked under the best college coach of all time for multiple years, and alongside some of the best football coaches in the country.

At UCF he worked under O’Leary of course. But also:
Danny Barrett RB coach of the Texans
George Godsey TE coach of the Ravens
Jim Fleming HC at Rhode Island
Tyson Summers DC at Western Ky. previously DC at Colorado

At Alabama
Lane Kiffin HC at Ole Miss
Karl Dunbar DL coach for the Steelers
Jeremy Pruitt not coaching currently but impressive pedigree
Mario Cristobal HC at Miami
Billy Napier HC at Florida
Tosh Lupoi DC at Oregon
Derrick Ansley DB coach for the Chargers
Mike Lockley HC at Maryland
Brian Daboll HC of the Giants
Joe Pannunzio Special Teams with the Eagles
Dan Enos OC at Maryland
Josh Gattis OC at Miami
Jeff Banks AHC and TE coach at Texas
Karl Scott assistant with the Seahawks

At Georgia Tech
Tashard Choice RB coach at Texas
Nate Burton secondary coach with the Saints
Marco Coleman DL coach at Michigan State

That’s a looooottttttt of connections to a lot of NFL and Power 5 teams. Coaches talk to each other even if they don’t work together too. They go to clinics, they recruit the same players, they talk before games. Key probably has 100 coaches in his phone active in P5 or the NFL that he could call and at least inquire about their interests in coming to Tech. If just 20 of them listened and had any interest that gives you 2 options for every on field coach. And there’s plenty of G5 and FCS assistants that would jump at the opportunity. Not to mention the coaches that are already at Tech they may be worth keeping around. Larry Knight, Jason Semore, Tillman, Thacker? It’s very fair to say Key would build, at the very least, the more experienced staff.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Brent key knows people everywhere across the country. He is very well respected across the CFB coaching industry due to his time at UCF and Bama. He has plenty of connections to build a staff. Names I’ve heard that could get a call from key if he got the job and decided to move on from Thacker: Charles Kelly and Pruitt. Key had a level on interest in Pruitt when Mike daniels resigned and opened up a on the field spot. Key also has connections to Glenn Schuman, the CO-DC at UGA, many people believe he’s the brains behind the uga defense there and would be an outstanding DC for any school.
Saban would love to have Pruitt back as a DC, but he's non grata persona. I heard he is playing poker professionally now.