HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If Key is retained I do not want Long back.

Tulane’s OFEI before Long was 38th in 2019 and 59th in 2020. In 2021 with Long they were 74th, and this year without Long they’re 40th.

Memphis in 2015 before Long was 27th in OFEI, 30th in 2016 with Long, and 18th in 2017 after he left

Notre Dame’s OFEI in 2020 the year after Long of 17th was better than any of the years when he was there

Even at Tech, we are worse in OFEI this year than we were every year from 2019-2021 under Pateneude. We were 94th in 2019, 92nd in 2020, and 78th last year. This year with Long we are 112th. That’s garbage.

Literally every team Long has been OC for has been worse with him than they have without him. Long has to go if Key stays. If Key gets the job and keeps long I’ll be pretty upset about it. There’s absolutely no data supporting Long keeping the job.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, if hiring Key helps us keep Pyron…

2852BD9F-412E-450E-810A-A2229174E6C0.jpeg

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
What some of you don’t realize is it’s hard to have immediate success on offensive with a brand new OC. You see the big improvement and what you hired the coach for in year 2. You’re starting to see Chip long open the play book up more and more each week. He’s starting to figure out how to truly use guys and what he’s working with.
Wait. So, BOB clearly sucks as a coach because he had Bama at #2 in OFEI in his first year and #15 in his second year, but Long is not that bad even though we are 111th in OFEI this year when we were 78th last year under the horrid Coach Pat? Um, OK

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have no clue what the future holds for Key (I've been told UNC win isn't going to affect the coaching search at this point), but I will say that the games under Key has been the most I've enjoyed GT football in the last 3+ years. I'd LOVE to see what GT can do under Key with a full offseason and the full weight of GTAA behind him. Unfortunately, it sounds like Cabrera is adamant about turning the page and getting rid of the "old boys club" that's been prevalent under Stansbury's and CGC's regime.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Wait. So, BOB clearly sucks as a coach because he had Bama at #2 in OFEI in his first year and #15 in his second year, but Long is not that bad even though we are 111th in OFEI this year when we were 78th last year under the horrid Coach Pat? Um, OK
Context matters. BOB has a heisman winning QB who’s a top 3 pick, a top running back in Gibbs, a WR room filled with high 4 star and 5 star receivers, a offensive line filled with top recruits, reserves at each position that are former top recruits. I’m not comparing Long to BOB at all like you just did when you responded to me.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Context matters. BOB has a heisman winning QB who’s a top 3 pick, a top running back in Gibbs, a WR room filled with high 4 star and 5 star receivers, a offensive line filled with top recruits, reserves at each position that are former top recruits. I’m not comparing Long to BOB at all like you just did when you responded to me.
But you can compare Long to D Pateneude. And even Pat’s transition offense in 2019 without a real QB was better than Long’s offense this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't think those looking for new head coaches will be as emotional as some of our fans on SWARM. However, it could be possible that an AD from a small conference would consider him. He certainly has not hurt his chances.
That's what I meant. If not us, G-5 or lower he's going to be an HC somewhere, I believe.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
But you can compare Long to D Pateneude. And even Pat’s transition offense in 2019 without a real QB was better than Long’s offense this year.
That part is true yes. I just have no clue on who could be a OC candidate. I’ve heard DC candidates if Key was to get the job but not OC candidates.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I’m hearing some things that there is a HC hire agreement in place. I’ve heard it from a few different people I talk too but nothing concrete yet. My understanding is that it’s down to Brent Key and Jamey Chadwell.

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
I feel like this is the most GT thing ever. A week ago if we had announced Chadwell nearly everyone would be happy and ready to move on in a new direction, and now a week later we are going to have a controversy with both fans and players which way to go. I'm of the opinion that the last few years were absolutely miserable and would rather just clean house completely (the thought of key, long, and Thacker all staying off a staff/team that consistently underperformed makes me a little nauseated) but I can see the argument either way especially if Key is willing to find a new OC.

Not saying Im not glad we whipped those cheating tarhole bastards at their own place yesterday, because I enjoyed that very much. Just also, its the most tech thing ever.