HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
593CBB93-650A-42D2-8E11-29A2C28D9E1F.jpeg

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I guarantee that if Brent Key had not graduated from tech there would be zero support for him. I am sure he will be a fine coach one day, but let some other team work through his growing pains as a head coach. If we hire him, it is not as bad as some choices but it will be much worse than many of the available options.
100. Couldn’t agree more. I’m afraid GT will go “cheap” and just hand the keys to Key.
It’s been a “cute” story and the team rallied behind the us against the world mentality, but I just don’t see it working in the long run, especially with Long as the OC.

At best I think Key will be Chan Gailey 2.0. It’s better than what G**** did at the helm, but he ain’t getting us to any Orange Bowls

Last edited:

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
100. Couldn’t agree more. I’m afraid GT will go “cheap” and just hand the keys to Key.
It’s been a “cute” story and the team rallied behind the us against the world mentality, but I just don’t see it working in the long run, especially with Long as the OC
Nothing “cute” about tonight. We just beat a top 15 team at their house against a guy who was on pace to be top 3 for the Heisman.

Let’s not sell Key short on this.

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Nothing “cute” about tonight. We just beat a top 15 team at their house against a guy who was on pace to be top 3 for the Heisman.

Props to Key for the Dub, but this place will be singing a different tune next week when we get the doors blown off and lose by 50.

The UVA loss was unforgivable and getting whacked by a bad Miami team was all I needed to see with this crew. Wipe the slate clean and start over

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Well you know we do the best when everyone else counts us out. Playing from behind and on the road. We got a gutsy win in a trench warfare kind of battle! Key just made Bat’s ability to ignore him that much harder. Glad I am not Bat. On one hand there’s a gathering of people who want Key to be given a chance and then on the other and perhaps larger side of things there’s crowds of people begging him not to take the easy way out and to scrap it all and just start afresh. If I am Key I am wanting a Collins size payment because I have made the stench of the state of the football team he built over the past 4 years look and play more like a team! And I have put a much better product on the field and won more games than he ever did with the same roster!

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s been a “cute” story and the team rallied behind the us against the world mentality, but I just don’t see it working in the long run, especially with Long as the OC.

At best I think Key will be Chan Gailey 2.0. It’s better than what G**** did at the helm, but he ain’t getting us to any Orange Bowls
I diagree .

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think Batt could go Key and guarantee he’s still at the helm in 4 years, but I suspect Batt has larger aspirations than Georgia Tech and is going to throw the deep ball that potentially gets eyes on him from larger athletic departments should it work out.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A survey of Georgia high school coaches voted for Key to be the next HC.
Players are for him as well.
Would be a safe choice by a new AD still learning the GT culture.
I would be okay with Key and understand why he might get picked. I would also be okay with Chadwell. If CL is still here next year, no thanks. Play calling has been very vanilla. Tonight the team got a lot of second effort yardage. Got a break when Downs dropped a sure TD in 4th quarter. Good win with several backups playing. Good tackling by the D line. Maye was harassed more than usual especially in the second half. Good effort and very happy for the team.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
A survey of Georgia high school coaches voted for Key to be the next HC.
Players are for him as well.
Would be a safe choice by a new AD still learning the GT culture.
I would be okay with Key and understand why he might get picked. I would also be okay with Chadwell. If CL is still here next year, no thanks. Play calling has been very vanilla. Tonight the team got a lot of second effort yardage. Got a break when Downs dropped a sure TD in 4th quarter. Good win with several backups playing. Good tackling by the D line. Maye was harassed more than usual especially in the second half. Good effort and very happy for the team.
I say if key is hired chip long is fired

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I don’t want to sell Key or the staff short, but you are overblowing UNC a bit. They have played one good team this year and lost by double digits. They kept skating by with close wins against teams like App St, Georgia St, Duke, UVA, Miami, etc. They have essentially been a poor man’s TCU.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Aaaaand despite getting blown out by Miami last week, suddenly its key mania again 😂😥
A road win against a 9-1 top-25 team while platooning 3rd and 4th string QBs, top WR is out, down multiple OL, the opposing team’s QB is a Heisman candidate, 21 point underdogs. We fight for 3 first downs late I n the 4th quarter to ice the game. Oh yeah, on a team that was 10-30 in the 3.5 years before Key takes over. Imagine having your head so far up your own [donkey] you don’t see the magnificence on that.

If you can’t find one singular reason Key should be retained then I’m not sure there’s any coach that’s going to satisfy you. Key took over a program in turmoil, he replaced a position coach that resigned mid-season for a reason the public isn’t even aware of. A team that for 3 years found incredible ways to lose football games. He’s turned them into at the very least a .500 team.

Lance Leipold went 2-10 at Kansas last year. What the **** else do you want Key to do? Yeah he lost to Virginia at home. Our starting QB went out of the game in the first half. Do you not see the difference between the games when Gibson was forced into action because of injury, and the one game we played where we actually created a gameplan set up for Gibson and Taisun? Come tf on dude. You’re better than that. If you’re an athlete you should know how important culture is to a team. It’s hard to break out of a losing culture like Tech had for the last 3+ years. Key has done it in 7 games.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want to sell Key or the staff short, but you are overblowing UNC a bit. They have played one good team this year and lost by double digits. They kept skating by with close wins against teams like App St, Georgia St, Duke, UVA, Miami, etc. They have essentially been a poor man’s TCU.
TCU has a better SOS than UGA, OSU, and Clemson. UNC sos is definitely weak, but not sure why you are trashing TCU.