HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How does losing QB1 & QB2 to season-ending injuries factor into your evaluation?

Sounds like "not much."

My evaluation doesn't matter. It's Batt's and Cabrera's ultimate call. FWIW, in case you've missed my posts, I've been one of Key's biggest advocates for keeping the job. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of factors working against him. A lot of it is political.

JacketFan137

Banned
Chadwell and Garrett Riley run basically the same offensive concepts. Chadwell just has more motion going on in the backfield, and actually runs some straight up option plays. Their route trees and blocking patterns are very similar. Chadwell is waaaayyyyyyy closer to Garrett Riley than he is to CPJ’s version of the “option.” He might as well be Garrett if you compare him to CPJ. I don’t think there’s anybody on the board who wants to go back to the CPJ/Coach Ken/Monken/Bohannon style of option. It’s a non factor. People want Chadwell (or Riley, but he’s a much less realistic candidate) because they can provide a schematic advantage without sacrificing the optics of running “the option.”

The people who are anti-Chadwell because he runs “the option” are just as bad as the people who want to go back to CPJ’s style of option. TCU throws for 272 yards per game, Coastal throws for 254 yards per game. Max Duggan (TCU’s QB) averages 9.3 yards per attempt, Grayson McCall averages 9.5 yards per attempt. They’re doing the same things.

Sometimes you’re so close to getting it, and then you fall right back into the trap. If you want GT to look like TCU, and to have a chance to do what TCU is doing this year, Chadwell is the only option. If you want us to look like Purdue, South Carolina, Syracuse, Arkansas, West Virginia, etc (aka average P5 teams) hire Mike Houston, BOB, Bill Clark, or Dan Mullen
agree with most of what you’re saying but the last paragraph is hilariously off the mark. i don’t think you really pay attention to what those coaches have done. i don’t want any of them but they would do better than many of those coaches

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
[This post most is mostly very tongue-in-cheek with some “meat”, but warning: most of this is spam - which is still delicious. Also I am very bored in my hotel room waiting for the game to start at 11:30 pm local]

You could possibly attribute the defensive improvement to the OL coach because the OL coach didn’t confuse the crap out of Anthony Thacker’s defense pre-snap like you-know-who. (Fwiw, I think I will refer to Thacker as “Anthony” from now on in honor of our crappy ACCN broadcast team). Instead of thinking he had to do everything, perhaps the OL coach said, “Imma let you guys coach and do what you were hired to do.”

Too often we think of football in a vacuum and ignore nuance and context which, while convenient, doesn’t tell the bigger picture. I realized this after I scored my fourth touchdown in the state championship game for Polk High.

We often throw out phrases like, “That was a dumb play call, period. It didn’t work. FACT.”

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Or maybe a Sports Center highlight broadcaster.

In the first example, my fourth running TD proved I was a man among children. But if I consider the context of our team being up 52 points, the opponent’s 3rd string defense was in, and every single one of our OL was a 5* who got offers from P5 schools, my world-view suddenly changes. Maybe I’m not really a man among children but a 0* 3rd-string End-Guard-Tackle* who was getting garbage time at the end of a blowout.

* I sat at the end of the bench, guarded the water bucket, and tackled anyone who tried to get a drink before coach said so.

In the second example (the dumb play call) - was it really dumb? Maybe it worked 10 out of 10 times in practice. Maybe all the players had confidence in it and convinced Long to call it during the game. But maybe when it came time to execute the guard missed his block … the receiver slipped … a cheerleader screamed “GIVE THE BALL TO DONTAE!“ and he forgot his assignment. If you’ve played football (or any sport), you’ll know that in the heat of the moment sometimes unintended things happen.

I remember a failed 4th down play against a recent opponent and one of our players was supposed to block downfield. On the replay he literally was chopping his feet, arms out in front of him, ready to block, frantically swiveling his head back and forth looking for someone to block … while 3 defenders ran right past him and tackled the ball carrier. Was it a bad playcall? Maybe. Was it bad because we didn’t prepare him to block the right guy? Maybe. Was that player just bad? Maybe.

The point is, we often don’t know all the details of situations like this and offer opinions or thoughts and present them as undeniable truths. Now I get it - this is a message board and we’re more or less free to post our thoughts/opinions. But the reality is simple: quite often, we just don’t know.

Jim Mora Sr said it best when he went on one of his great tirades:

You guys really don’t know when it’s good or bad when it comes right down to it. You really don’t know. Because you don’t know what we’re trying to do. You guys don’t look at the films, you don’t know what happened, you really don’t know. You think you know, but you don’t know. And you never will. Okay? Sometimes you’ll think it’s good and it isn’t any good. Sometimes you’ll think it’s bad and it was pretty darn good. Sometimes you’ll think it’s bad and it’s bad. But basically you really don’t know. The only people that really know are our coaches. And that goes with run blocking, pass defense, all those things. The public doesn’t know, you guys don’t know.​

Just food for thought.

As for Key as permanent HC: I have mixed feelings. But again, we just aren’t privy to all the chaos that’s going on (HC fired, QBs injured, guys leaving, etc.)

For those who aren’t sold on Key here’s a hypothetical: Would you feel better him as HC if he told JBatt, “Here’s my plan. I will lead by example. We will be tough, disciplined, and fight til we can’t fight no ’Mo. I ask that you hire Jamey Chadwell as OC and pay him 1.5 million. And let’s go poach Ron Roberts from Baylor and pay him 1.5 million to be our DC. And he will advance our recruiting into the Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma region. Anthony will stay on as LB coach for continuity and Travares will stay with the DBs.“

I could get on board with that. FACT. [This hypothetical is just me throwing randomness out there and having some fun] ;)

slugboy

Staff member
Other than on message boards and Twitter do we actually know if any of these three are being considered?
Despicable Me Lol GIF

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
[This post most is mostly very tongue-in-cheek with some “meat”, but warning: most of this is spam - which is still delicious. Also I am very bored in my hotel room waiting for the game to start at 11:30 pm local]

You could possibly attribute the defensive improvement to the OL coach because the OL coach didn’t confuse the crap out of Anthony Thacker’s defense pre-snap like you-know-who. (Fwiw, I think I will refer to Thacker as “Anthony” from now on in honor of our crappy ACCN broadcast team). Instead of thinking he had to do everything, perhaps the OL coach said, “Imma let you guys coach and do what you were hired to do.”

Too often we think of football in a vacuum and ignore nuance and context which, while convenient, doesn’t tell the bigger picture. I realized this after I scored my fourth touchdown in the state championship game for Polk High.

We often throw out phrases like, “That was a dumb play call, period. It didn’t work. FACT.”

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Or maybe a Sports Center highlight broadcaster.

In the first example, my fourth running TD proved I was a man among children. But if I consider the context of our team being up 52 points, the opponent’s 3rd string defense was in, and every single one of our OL was a 5* who got offers from P5 schools, my world-view suddenly changes. Maybe I’m not really a man among children but a 0* 3rd-string End-Guard-Tackle* who was getting garbage time at the end of a blowout.

* I sat at the end of the bench, guarded the water bucket, and tackled anyone who tried to get a drink before coach said so.

In the second example (the dumb play call) - was it really dumb? Maybe it worked 10 out of 10 times in practice. Maybe all the players had confidence in it and convinced Long to call it during the game. But maybe when it came time to execute the guard missed his block … the receiver slipped … a cheerleader screamed “GIVE THE BALL TO DONTAE!“ and he forgot his assignment. If you’ve played football (or any sport), you’ll know that in the heat of the moment sometimes unintended things happen.

I remember a failed 4th down play against a recent opponent and one of our players was supposed to block downfield. On the replay he literally was chopping his feet, arms out in front of him, ready to block, frantically swiveling his head back and forth looking for someone to block … while 3 defenders ran right past him and tackled the ball carrier. Was it a bad playcall? Maybe. Was it bad because we didn’t prepare him to block the right guy? Maybe. Was that player just bad? Maybe.

The point is, we often don’t know all the details of situations like this and offer opinions or thoughts and present them as undeniable truths. Now I get it - this is a message board and we’re more or less free to post our thoughts/opinions. But the reality is simple: quite often, we just don’t know.

Jim Mora Sr said it best when he went on one of his great tirades:

You guys really don’t know when it’s good or bad when it comes right down to it. You really don’t know. Because you don’t know what we’re trying to do. You guys don’t look at the films, you don’t know what happened, you really don’t know. You think you know, but you don’t know. And you never will. Okay? Sometimes you’ll think it’s good and it isn’t any good. Sometimes you’ll think it’s bad and it was pretty darn good. Sometimes you’ll think it’s bad and it’s bad. But basically you really don’t know. The only people that really know are our coaches. And that goes with run blocking, pass defense, all those things. The public doesn’t know, you guys don’t know.​

Just food for thought.

As for Key as permanent HC: I have mixed feelings. But again, we just aren’t privy to all the chaos that’s going on (HC fired, QBs injured, guys leaving, etc.)

For those who aren’t sold on Key here’s a hypothetical: Would you feel better him as HC if he told JBatt, “Here’s my plan. I will lead by example. We will be tough, disciplined, and fight til we can’t fight no ’Mo. I ask that you hire Jamey Chadwell as OC and pay him 1.5 million. And let’s go poach Ron Roberts from Baylor and pay him 1.5 million to be our DC. And he will advance our recruiting into the Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma region. Anthony will stay on as LB coach for continuity and Travares will stay with the DBs.“

I could get on board with that. FACT. [This hypothetical is just me throwing randomness out there and having some fun] ;)

FACT. Your opinions are wrong. 😉

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would you feel better him as HC if he told JBatt, “Here’s my plan. I will lead by example. We will be tough, disciplined, and fight til we can’t fight no ’Mo. I ask that you hire Jamey Chadwell as OC and pay him 1.5 million. And let’s go poach Ron Roberts from Baylor and pay him 1.5 million to be our DC. And he will advance our recruiting into the Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Would you feel better him as HC if he told JBatt, “Here’s my plan. I will lead by example. We will be tough, disciplined, and fight til we can’t fight no ’Mo. I ask that you hire Jamey Chadwell as OC and pay him 1.5 million. And let’s go poach Ron Roberts from Baylor and pay him 1.5 million to be our DC. And he will advance our recruiting into the Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma
Chadwell ain’t leaving CC to be an OC

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I'd hope JBatt's response would be "Chadwell will come here for 1.5 mil? Bye"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell ain’t leaving CC to be an OC

Before Chadwell went to Coastal, he was the HFC at Charleston Southern. Dan Moglia, then HFC at Coastal, convinced Chadwell to come to Coastal and be the OC for a few years then move up to HFC when he retired.

I'm not saying Chadwell will do it for GT, but it's not an unprecedented move for Chadwell.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Before Chadwell went to Coastal, he was the HFC at Charleston Southern. Dan Moglia, then HFC at Coastal, convinced Chadwell to come to Coastal and be the OC for a few years then move up to HFC when he retired.

I'm not saying Chadwell will do it for GT, but it's not an unprecedented move for Chadwell.
Yeah but I think he’s earned enough cred to say I’m going to move up as a HC now or I’m not leaving.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Caldwell and Fritz are head coaches that have track record of building winners. Now they are not suitable for mega P5, but after a successful stop at Gt they will be ready.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but I think he’s earned enough cred to say I’m going to move up as a HC now or I’m not leaving.

100%. Chadwell is very unlikely to agree to the same agreement...unless it's a school like 'Bama that says we'll pay you $3 million/year, and when Saban retires, it's your job.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
100%. Chadwell is very unlikely to agree to the same agreement...unless it's a school like 'Bama that says we'll pay you $3 million/year, and when Saban retires, it's your job.

Probably true. is anyone else seriously courting Chadwell - at least, according to internet rumor?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This. If Riley doesn’t get hired as a head coach this off season, Bama is going to throw the bank at him to get him to come be OC and he will be a head coach shortly after

From what I've read, 'Bama isn't the only school that's going to back up the Brinks truck to Riley's house this offseason. TAMU is also going to throw their hat into the Garrett Riley ring.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Probably true. is anyone else seriously courting Chadwell - at least, according to internet rumor?

GT is the most prominent name tied to Chadwell. WVU has emerged as another school if they can find the buyout money for Neal Brown.

If Nebraska gets desperate, in other words their top 5 guys turn them down, Chadwell has been on the periphery there.

There's probably others, but most of the stuff I've seen has Chadwell pretty far down on list of coaching candidates.